Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2018, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Clearly the solution is to mount that camera on the handlebars for super quick access
I respectfully have to disagree

devise a way to mount the camera and lens on the helmet ( you do use a helmet don't you ? )

that way you can move the camera without running off the road

05-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I respectfully have to disagree

devise a way to mount the camera and lens on the helmet ( you do use a helmet don't you ? )

that way you can move the camera without running off the road
You're onto something there!
05-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

You're onto something there!
bonus

you would exercise your neck and shoulder muscles which generally are not affected by cycling

how to do it

Velcro or Gorilla Tape perhaps ??
05-03-2018, 04:12 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clearly the solution is to mount that camera on the handlebars for super quick access
World's biggest GoPro!

05-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Hi guys,

I'd ask you for your tips and hints concerning 2018 backpacks for trekking with separated photographic equipment area.

The goal is to put inside my K-1 with FA*28-70, FA* 80-200 (or DA*300 with TC) and possibly 1-2 additional small size lenses (like the FA ltd.).

I'm searching for a backpack I could take with me for 1-2 day long trip into the hills or when riding on bicycle.

Thanks in advance for your references
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mindshift Gear so far in this thread. I've tested a LOT of camera backpacks (many of which have reviews here on pentaxforums) and my favourite current backpack is by far the Mindshift Gear Horizon. I believe it would work well for two-days hikes if you travel lightly, it's ideal for one day, no doubt about it. The company also makes the "Pro" which is larger and would certainly be well suited for two days hikes.

In addition to being true hiking backpacks (something not every company can claim, including big ones like Lowepro), the camera access system is unrivaled.

You could also look at newcomers like Shimoda, they're made by expats from F-stop. True hiking backpacks, decent camera access system from what I gather.

The other solution is to get a regular backpack and use an insert. If you get a bag with two compartments it's possible to use one for the insert and another for regular gear.
09-24-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just found this one: Atlas Packs - Award winning camera backpacks ? AtlasPacks

The Adventure Pack looks not bad at all.
09-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like we're talking about two different uses/solutions. As others have pointed out, one doesn't want a big/heavy pack on while riding. The kit the OP mentioned is pretty big and certainly more than I'd want to carry on my back for riding. A handlebar bag might be better for at least the camera and primary lens.

As for backpacking, after trying a bunch of different options, if I'm going any distance(i.e. more than a couple miles), I use an Osprey pack designed for backpacking, an insert to carry stuff inside it, and one of their clips on a shoulder strap to keep the camera handy. But I do that with a K-70 and 20-40. When I've tried to use my K-1 and 28-105, the shoulder strap clip starts to feel pretty heavy.

09-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
As for backpacking, after trying a bunch of different options, if I'm going any distance(i.e. more than a couple miles), I use an Osprey pack designed for backpacking, an insert to carry stuff inside it
Before getting the Mindshift Gear Horizon, that's exactly what I was doing also. I had yet to see a camera backpack made first and foremost for hiking. The Manfrotto Off Road Hiker was excellent (now discontinued), the Lowepro Photo Sport very good, the Mindshift Gear near perfect. What this bag has against all the others is mainly the fantastic quick access. It's as rugged and well made as an Osprey, better than the Lowepro and Manfrotto, really ahead of the competition for hiking in my opinion.

When I've tried to use my K-1 and 28-105, the shoulder strap clip starts to feel pretty heavy.
Have you tried a Capture Clip from Peak Design? I traveled often with the Capture on my Horizon's shoulder strap, holding a K-1 and 16-85. Worked pretty well.
09-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Before getting the Mindshift Gear Horizon, that's exactly what I was doing also. I had yet to see a camera backpack made first and foremost for hiking. The Manfrotto Off Road Hiker was excellent (now discontinued), the Lowepro Photo Sport very good, the Mindshift Gear near perfect. What this bag has against all the others is mainly the fantastic quick access. It's as rugged and well made as an Osprey, better than the Lowepro and Manfrotto, really ahead of the competition for hiking in my opinion.

Have you tried a Capture Clip from Peak Design? I traveled often with the Capture on my Horizon's shoulder strap, holding a K-1 and 16-85. Worked pretty well.
Yeah I had the Mindshift Panorama. It was good, but not great. The new Osprey AG packs with the wraparound suspension still feel a good bit better for me. And yes I have a Capture clip. It's very good with my K70 and 20-40, and the reason I don't miss the pivoting waistbelt on the Mindshift. It's more that the K-1 feels a lot heavier there than the K70 does. Still doable, just not ideal.
09-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Yeah I had the Mindshift Panorama. It was good, but not great.
Smaller than the Horizon, I believe. what didn'T you like? Not every bag fits comfortably on every person, that's for sure.

The new Osprey AG packs with the wraparound suspension still feel a good bit better for me.
A Mindshift Gear Horizon with a mesh back would be heaven on Earth.

It's more that the K-1 feels a lot heavier there than the K70 does. Still doable, just not ideal.
Maybe better with a propad?
09-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Smaller than the Horizon, I believe. what didn'T you like? Not every bag fits comfortably on every person, that's for sure.

A Mindshift Gear Horizon with a mesh back would be heaven on Earth.

Maybe better with a propad?
Yes, smaller than the Horizon, which was part of the issue. Not as much space for other gear besides the pivoting hip bag. And the side pocket for a hydration bladder was a tight fit for larger bladders. And sometimes the pivoting hip belt would get hung up going in or out.

And yes, the K-1 might be better with the Propad. I may try that one of these days. The other downside of the capture clip is that you have to use the small, square plate. Where I prefer to leave the L-bracket on my K-1, since I use that more frequently with a tripod. Compromises everywhere, but really I'm being very picky.
10-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The other downside of the capture clip is that you have to use the small, square plate. Where I prefer to leave the L-bracket on my K-1, since I use that more frequently with a tripod. Compromises everywhere, but really I'm being very picky.
I don't use L plates but I can see that being a big problem indeed. I don't think there's an easy way around that, L plates and compact carry solutions are mutually exclusive.