Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Amateur Budget Accessories

I am new, two months, to using anything other than point and shoot cameras. I am 56 years old and enjoy learning something new and I have decided to take up a Pentax k-5. I am in love with it already. I even got my wife a Pentax K-X. I still work for a living and need to watch my budget closely so I wanted to ask what would you recommend for a budget flash and battery grip??

I would like to get a flash that has a white card and diffuser with adjustable power and swivel head without spending more than 120 USD if possible. I feel like I am asking a lot with that.

I know there are third party battery grips and flashes but before I spend money on anything I wanted to get other Pentax users opinions on what they may recommend. Many of you have been around a good long time as Pentax users and will know far more than I ever will about this.

The flash and grip will be for the K-5. My wife says no way she could use a camera with a grip with her small hands.

These are really wonderful cameras and it has already been a great deal of fun to learn and play around with them.

Thank you

Mark

05-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

if you are willing to look at " experienced " equipment, check out what is available in the Marketplace ( " buy/sell " )

this link is presorted for items located in the US

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

you can find reviews under " cameras ", " lenses " and " accessories " above

here is a link to the battery grip reviews

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Grips-and-Power-Accessories-for-Digital-i130.html

this also might be of interest

Recommended Pentax Gear 2016 - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
05-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

Hi Mark

I'd go for a proper Pentax grip for the K5, they fit soooooo much better and can be picked up used, for reasonable money, personally, I'd leave the flash for a while, the K5 is pretty good in low light and at reasonable high ISO's certainly up to 1600 ish, so I suggest you experiment with that first before splashing more cash.
05-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might like this flash:https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN585EX-Wireless-Speedlite-Digital/dp/B01N0XY...ion+for+Pentax

I'm just an amateur/novice/hobbyist type so I can't give you much technical advice but the YN585EX is P-TTL has a swivel head and is about half the price of the Pentax AF201FG. However, the AF201FG is a nice weather sealed entry level flash that tilts but doesn't swivel.

Check out Vello diffusers: Vello Flash Light Controls | B&H Photo Video

05-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I would recommend the Yongnuo YN585EX also.
05-05-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I highly recommend that for a flash you go with a clean used Vivitar 285HV. It will be more of a learning curve, but once you do learn it, you will be much better off. It doesn’t have a white card, but that is easy remedied with an index card and a rubber band. You are kind of stuck on the swivel though. On the plus side, there is a cord you can get that will let you put the flashes light sensor on your hot shoe, while pointing the flash at anything you want - the floor, the ceiling, some persons jacket, whatever! It’s really a great setup once you get the hang of it. For a full used setup you are looking at less than $100.

Edit: make sure you get the HV model, as the older 285 can have a trigger voltage high enough to fry the flash circuit in your camera.
05-05-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any specific reason you want a battery grip? The K-5 is very power efficient, I shoot mine every day but only have to charge the battery every 5 days or so.

05-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
I am new, two months, to using anything other than point and shoot cameras. I am 56 years old and enjoy learning something new and I have decided to take up a Pentax k-5. I am in love with it already. I even got my wife a Pentax K-X. I still work for a living and need to watch my budget closely so I wanted to ask what would you recommend for a budget flash and battery grip??

I would like to get a flash that has a white card and diffuser with adjustable power and swivel head without spending more than 120 USD if possible. I feel like I am asking a lot with that.

I know there are third party battery grips and flashes but before I spend money on anything I wanted to get other Pentax users opinions on what they may recommend. Many of you have been around a good long time as Pentax users and will know far more than I ever will about this.

The flash and grip will be for the K-5. My wife says no way she could use a camera with a grip with her small hands.

These are really wonderful cameras and it has already been a great deal of fun to learn and play around with them.

Thank you

Mark
I'd put my money on a Yongnuo 585EX PTtl compatible flash $82.99 at B&H with free shipping.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 05-05-2018 at 07:21 PM.
05-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Waiting on my second Yongnuo 585 set to arrive in a few days. First one has the features and works well with my KP.
05-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Is there any specific reason you want a battery grip? The K-5 is very power efficient, I shoot mine every day but only have to charge the battery every 5 days or so.
The main reason is size. I have very large hands and it feels weird with my pinky holding on to nothing so when I shoot my index and pinky are not really doing anything to hold or stabilize the camera. I know what you mean about power efficiency. It is one of the thing I so love about this K-5. The battery seems to last forever.

Last edited by Mercifulfate; 05-05-2018 at 10:13 PM.
05-05-2018, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go out, shoot more, shoot consciously and read up more on photography and apply them, then repeat.....

No need to get anything yet imo, until you hit some real physical limitation to what you what to shoot.
05-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lenses....save your money for those. My experience is that until you don't make timelapses, you don't need a BG.
Tripod. This is a big step up for your photography.
Flashes...depends on what are you shooting. But yes...it could be useful.
05-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
The main reason is size. I have very large hands and it feels weird with my pinky holding on to nothing so when I shoot my index and pinky are not really doing anything to hold or stabilize the camera. I know what you mean about power efficiency. It is one of the thing I so love about this K-5. The battery seems to last forever.
the same reason is why I had a battery grip on my K 5 II, my K 3 and why I bought my K 3 II when B & H offered it for sale with the battery grip for only $ 7 more than their price for the K 3 II alone

the K 5 II was sold to help pay for the K 3 II + battery grip

the fact that I can store a spare SD card in the standard battery tray is a bonus

as is the included AA battery tray since AA batteries can be found almost every where I go at good prices just in case the standard battery goes out on me
05-13-2018, 05:03 AM   #14

Yongnuo flash are decent and value for money. But make sure you need the flash before buying it.

A good tripod or good lens will be worthwhile for buying. Get an old legacy lens.

05-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
. . . But make sure you need the flash before buying it.

A good tripod or good lens will be worthwhile for buying. Get an old legacy lens.
I have to agree

most used by me, your experience may differ:

camera body

lenses

sling

supports - monopod/tripods

flash ( other than in body flash )

point being, concentrate on what you need for what you do