Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would like to say thank you for all of your suggestions. While I would still like the battery grip because of my large hands I think I will hold off and concentrate on a good tripod. I'm a photographer of opportunity. I carry my camera around a lot for that , "just in case" opportunity. I went to ebay and notice KEH had an outlet there and bought a mixed bundle of manual lens for 21$.

I knew I might not get much but I actually got some nice working lens to play with. A 24mm f1.8, 85-210mm f3.8, Ricoh 135mm f2.8, a 2x converter, 200mm f3.8 all K mount and an M42 mount adapter.

A friend at work gave me his old 70's 35mm Pentax camera and lens ( Soligor 35mm f2.8, Asahi Opt. 135mm f3.5 and Asahi 50mm f1.4 All M42 Mount)

So I suppose the next question is ... best stable tripod. I have a tripod but it not much good past a camera with the weight of a sparrow.

05-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
All M42 Mount
I think your next accessory should be a M42 to K-mount adapter.
The official Pentax M42 to K adapter is a bit expensive at US$79:
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video
but there are others on eBay and elsewhere.
05-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a mixed bundle of manual lens for 21$
A 24mm f1.8, 85-210mm f3.8, Ricoh 135mm f2.8, a 2x converter, 200mm f3.8 all K mount and an M42 mount adapter.
Am I understanding that you got all that for $21?
05-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Am I understanding that you got all that for $21?
Yes 21$ ... Roberts Camera and K E H each have an ebay profile. I can not afford new items so I'm always looking for deals my wallet can handle. There is no guarantee with what you get in the bundles but I figure for 21 $ I might get at least one or two "ok" items. I even got a Rexatar 400mm lens but it doesn't mount as tight as I would like it.

---------- Post added 05-22-18 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think your next accessory should be a M42 to K-mount adapter.
The adapter actually came with the bundle I got .

10-06-2018, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I wanted to update this. I have been acquiring a few Takumar lenses. Their price fits my budget and I have fallen in love with what lovely photos they can create.

I found a lovely 55mm 1.8 ( 2$ ) to go with my 50mm 1.4 an acquaintance gave me. The 55 had some fungus but I got some tools, took it apart and cleaned the lenses and it take lovely photos.
10-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

55mm 1.8 ( 2$ )
Where are you getting a $2 lens from?
11-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went to ebay and notice KEH had an outlet there and bought a mixed bundle of manual lens for 21$.I knew I might not get much but I actually got some nice working lens to play with. A 24mm f1.8, 85-210mm f3.8, Ricoh 135mm f2.8, a 2x converter, 200mm f3.8 all K mount and an M42 mount adapter.A friend at work gave me his old 70's 35mm Pentax camera and lens ( Soligor 35mm f2.8, Asahi Opt. 135mm f3.5 and Asahi 50mm f1.4 All M42 Mount)
I wanted to update this. I have been acquiring a few Takumar lenses. Their price fits my budget and I have fallen in love with what lovely photos they can create.I found a lovely 55mm 1.8 ( 2$ ) to go with my 50mm 1.4 an acquaintance gave me. The 55 had some fungus but I got some tools, took it apart and cleaned the lenses and it take lovely photos.
OK, so for $23 all up you've got this collection! Wow. You are the very guy Pentax was made for.

11-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the OP might want to consider posting photos of the equipment in this thread:

Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

[ with or without the SMU to show scale ]

there is also this:

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

if the OP wants to contribute to the forum's knowledge

and last, the OP may want to register the equipment with Lenstag:

Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.
11-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
I would like to say thank you for all of your suggestions. While I would still like the battery grip because of my large hands I think I will hold off and concentrate on a good tripod. I'm a photographer of opportunity. I carry my camera around a lot for that , "just in case" opportunity. I went to ebay and notice KEH had an outlet there and bought a mixed bundle of manual lens for 21$.

I knew I might not get much but I actually got some nice working lens to play with. A 24mm f1.8, 85-210mm f3.8, Ricoh 135mm f2.8, a 2x converter, 200mm f3.8 all K mount and an M42 mount adapter.
A friend at work gave me his old 70's 35mm Pentax camera and lens ( Soligor 35mm f2.8, Asahi Opt. 135mm f3.5 and Asahi 50mm f1.4 All M42 Mount)
So I suppose the next question is ... best stable tripod. I have a tripod but it not much good past a camera with the weight of a sparrow.

WOW - GREAT DEAL!
Tripod: SOLID is the key thing to look for ... this is something that you may want to save up for rather than cheaping out. A $300 tripod will last decades longer than a $50 tripod. Take a look for a lower priced carbon fiber tripod and you will probably be very pleased with the results.

Flash: Take a look at the Godox TT600 flash -it is a very powerful affordable flash with a good reputation (sorry for the nasty long link - technical issues)
amazon.com : Godox TT600 Flash Speedlite Built-in 2.4G Wireless Transmission Compatible Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus Other Digital Cameras Standard Hotshoe+ Diffuser+ CONXTRUE USB LED : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Battery Grip: I had a 3rd party grip on my K5 and another on my K3. The one for my K5 was great very good quality, just not weather sealed. It fit very tightly to the body of the K5. Look for one locally so you can "try before you buy"
11-13-2018, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Tripod: SOLID is the key thing to look for ... this is something that you may want to save up for rather than cheaping out. A $300 tripod will last decades longer than a $50 tripod. Take a look for a lower priced carbon fiber tripod and you will probably be very pleased with the results.
Or for a cheap option, there are plenty of sturdy high-end old models on the secondhand market, if you don't mind the extra weight. You pay a lot more for the weight-saving of carbon fibre.
12-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Where are you getting a $2 lens from?

Believe it or not ... EBAY I was the winning bid.
12-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the OP might want to consider posting photos of the equipment in this thread:

Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

[ with or without the SMU to show scale ]

there is also this:

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

if the OP wants to contribute to the forum's knowledge

and last, the OP may want to register the equipment with Lenstag:

Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.

I think you are correct I should do this. I'm a bit lazy at times LOL I'll need to go and make a list of all the lenses and what I paid for them. I'm a novice and still have so much to learn but I have found its an awfully good amount of fun shooting in manual mode and with such wonderful old lenses.