Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Belt pouch for FA Limited Lenses?

I've been searching about for a reasonable belt pouch to hold 2-3 FA limited lenses at a time.

When I am traveling, I have found it is less effort to just wear the camera on a strap and carry the lenses separately, since most of the time I have the camera out anyway and a bulky camera bag (I generally use a Domke 803) ends up giving me too many straps around my neck and more weight than I'd like to be dealing with.

My travel kit is a K1 + FA Limited trio, and it occurred to me that there must be a decent belt pouch that could hold 2x limiteds at a time (while the other is on the camera). Ideally it would have room for an extra battery or two as well.

I've been eyeing this, partially because I am partial towards Domke bags, and partially because I don't see a lot of other attractive options:
Domke F-945 Belt Pouch (Black) 710-30B B&H Photo Video

Does anybody have any suggestions? The DA Limited Case 2 looks great, but I think it is actually bulkier than what I am after, and doesn't seem to have a reasonable provision to be used as a belt pouch. I really only need space for two lenses, since when in use one lens will always be on the camera.

05-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspillane Quote
I've been searching about for a reasonable belt pouch to hold 2-3 FA limited lenses at a time.

When I am traveling, I have found it is less effort to just wear the camera on a strap and carry the lenses separately, since most of the time I have the camera out anyway and a bulky camera bag (I generally use a Domke 803) ends up giving me too many straps around my neck and more weight than I'd like to be dealing with.

My travel kit is a K1 + FA Limited trio, and it occurred to me that there must be a decent belt pouch that could hold 2x limiteds at a time (while the other is on the camera). Ideally it would have room for an extra battery or two as well.

I've been eyeing this, partially because I am partial towards Domke bags, and partially because I don't see a lot of other attractive options:
Domke F-945 Belt Pouch (Black) 710-30B B&H Photo Video

Does anybody have any suggestions? The DA Limited Case 2 looks great, but I think it is actually bulkier than what I am after, and doesn't seem to have a reasonable provision to be used as a belt pouch. I really only need space for two lenses, since when in use one lens will always be on the camera.
I have the Limited case 2 with an upgraded strap. Very nice. It holds several limited lenses and a teleconverter. The Domke looks nice but it does not have dividers and I fear things may rattle around a bit. My two cents.
05-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
don't forget about epoxying a couple rear caps together or using the optech thing to go with your pouch. i've found that to be a pretty useful setup with my domke 803, k1 and 3 primes.
05-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
. . . using the optech thing . . .
I think this is what was meant by the Optech USA " thing "

Lens Mount Cap | OP/TECH USA

I have both the single lens cap and the double lens cap which means I can have two lenses on it

05-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

LowePro 9" case will hold 2 lenses.
05-11-2018, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have a padded belt (adjustable) $8.50 USD and padded Safrotto type lens pouch $11.88 USD both very well made and the pouch is padded all over. The velcro attachment on the pouch for attaching to the belt has a double velcro closer and the loops on the belt are substantial. All are brand X from the Orient but well made and I have different sizes for lens , flashes and Miscellany including Safrotto pouches that are equal in quality to the Brand X. The one I use 10" X 5" similar to what you want I keep my FA 77mm Ltd , DA 40mm XS and a HD DA 1.4 X WR TC in and they are all in soft leather pouches as well.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adjustable-Padded-Camera-Waist-Belt-Lens-Bag-Holder-...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-Waterproof-Camera-Lens-Bag-Padded-Pouch-Pr...cAAOSwNRdX4zKD

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:30 AM.
05-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the Billingham 72
Billingham Bags | Billingham 72 Camera Bag
scroll over in the images and you see it has a central divider and belt loop
At 150 x 130 x 190mm (WxDxH)

05-12-2018, 02:26 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

unless you are set on a belt, might I suggest an alternative?

I have an old Cabela's multipocket vest which allows me to carry small lenses if I wish.

I can put lenses into separate pockets, have them in padded cases/pouches if I wish

you get the picture

numerous styles, available from multiple suppliers, for example:

amazon.com: photographer vest?tag=pentaxforums-20&

there is a down side, the vest gets very heavy quite quickly. mine is a simple cotton vest, no padding
05-12-2018, 03:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use one of these. Accessory Pack | OP/TECH USA Ok, it's a shoulder bag and not belt, but worth a look I suggest. The larger one takes all my Ltds plus 100 macro, x1.4 TC, plus a few other bits and pieces.
05-12-2018, 03:50 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Mindshift Filter Nest is perfect if you remove the insert.
Filter Nest - camera lens filter pouch wallet case | MindShift Gear
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I have a padded belt (adjustable) $8.50 USD and padded Safrotto type lens pouch $11.88 USD both very well made and the pouch is padded all over. The velcro attachment on the pouch for attaching to the belt has a double velcro closer and the loops on the belt are substantial. All are brand X from the Orient but well made and I have different sizes for lens , flashes and Miscellany including Safrotto pouches that are equal in quality to the Brand X. The one I use 10" X 5" similar to what you want I keep my FA 77mm Ltd , DA 40mm XS and a HD DA 1.4 X WR TC in and they are all in soft leather pouches as well.

Adjustable Padded Camera Waist Belt Lens Bag Holder Case Pouch Holder Pack Strap | eBay

Universal Waterproof Camera Lens Bag Padded Pouch Protector Case 11cmx23cm | eBay
For those of us that have Teddy Bear Figures or as My Doctor says "There's too much of you" you can put 2 of the belts together to fit around !
05-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the thoughts. I am going to try to go by B&H and check out a few options with the lenses to find a good fit.

As far as the lack of dividers for the Domke - I have a bunch of spare Domke dividers that would fit in there, so I think it wouldn't be an issue. The Mindshift Filternest looks like a pretty perfect shape and size, so that is definitely of interest.

As far the vest idea - it may be worth exploring as well, although I like the potentially more minimalist idea of a belt pouch. Any kind of over-the-shoulder cases are out for me - I have bags that could fulfill that role, and one of my goals is to keep it down to a single strap around me - the one with the camera attached to it!
05-13-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA Limited Case 2 is a hard shell case. You might be able to shorten the shoulder strap and clip it around your waist, but I doubt it would work well as a waist mounted carrier.

I don't see much difference between the Domke and a generic padded fanny pack. The advantage of the latter is that it's likely less expensive and more discrete. (Okay, you're wearing the K-1 around your neck so discrete isn't all that helpful...) I used to use these but as I've gotten older I've found that they now make my lower back ache after a while. It might be worth getting an inexpensive one to test this idea, using padded cases or aftermarket separators for the lenses. If you like it you can always upgrade to the Domke; if it just doesn't work the way you hoped it would, no great loss.

I also second Aslyfox's suggestion of trying a vest. I picked one up on clearance last fall and I'm a convert. Large, medium small pockets galore and they all close securely. The weight is more evenly distributed; for me it's much less physically stressful than a waist or shoulder bag. Because I've assigned regular items permanent pocket locations - glasses case, batteries, lens cap, small flashlight, keys and transit pass etc, the "where did I put it" panic attacks are a thing of the past.
05-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The Mindshift gear cases (the Nest, indeed, is a good choice), the Thinktank lens cases that go with their modular system or the Peak Design Range Pouch or Field pouch would be my favourite choices. The Field holds the lenses side by side, but is clumsier to attach to a belt (the sleeve does not have velcro). The Range allows you to stack the lenses, either by using a dual lens cap or by separating them using the built-in flap.

With either, as with the Mindshift/Think Tank products, you can transform them into a compact shoulder bag by using an external strap (any strap with Think Tank/Mindshift, their own Slide with Peak Design).