Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Softbox Suggestions for in the Field.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wanting a softbox to attach to my cactus RF60x for in the field use. When not in it's final form it needs to be fairly compact, can be assembled and disassembled easily and of course provides a good even distribution of light with little hot spots.

Should I just grab the Cactus CB60? Cactus CB-60 Foldable Softbox (24 x 24") DICLSTCACCB60 B&H

This one's cheaper and on special; Raya Raya EFS-24 Easy Fold Softbox Set (24 x 24") EFS-24

What's everyones experience with softboxes?

TIA!

Bruce

05-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am no pro but I have accumulated few softboxes in past 6 months. I have continuous light setup. I like the setup where light-fixture is NOT attached to fabric. Also the fixture should have multiple sockets, fuse and at least more than one switch. This package has covers all the above. When I made my first purchase, I did not know this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B8IU82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Multi-socket fixture can be purchased alone. This comes with fuse and multiple switches.
https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Socket-Photo-Adapter-AGG882/dp/B0091HO0FY/...4+light+socket

I do have single light fixture and made it multi as follows. When you have single socket, you end up paying for high-wattage bulb.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXWRDWT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have stands made of both plastic and steel. Like the steel ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WVJ7C7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Umbrella style softboxes
In case of umbrella style softboxes main stick of umbrella comes in the way of light bulb and difficult to accommodate multi socket holder. But softbox is really big and I like that aspect.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R3DRVQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
05-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I am no pro but I have accumulated few softboxes in past 6 months. I have continuous light setup. I like the setup where light-fixture is NOT attached to fabric. Also the fixture should have multiple sockets, fuse and at least more than one switch. This package has covers all the above. When I made my first purchase, I did not know this.
amazon.com : LimoStudio Photography Studio 20 x 28 inch Light Soft Box Reflector with 4 Socket Light Bulb Adapter with External White Diffuser Cover, Photo Studio, AGG856 : Photographic Lighting Soft Boxes : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Multi-socket fixture can be purchased alone. This comes with fuse and multiple switches.
amazon.com: LimoStudio 4 Socket Photo Bulb Adapter - Converts 1 Socket into 4 - Use for Standard Socket Flourescent Bulbs, AGG882-A: Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I do have single light fixture and made it multi as follows. When you have single socket, you end up paying for high-wattage bulb.
DiCUNO 5 in 1 E26/E27 Splitter Socket Adapter, E26/E27 Standard LED Bulbs Holder, Converter Chandelier Socket with 360 Degrees Adjustable 180 Degree Bending - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I have stands made of both plastic and steel. Like the steel ones.
amazon.com: Neewer 2 Pieces Light Stand Kit, 114 inches/290 centimeters Stainless Steel Heavy Duty with 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch Universal Adapter for Studio Softbox, Monolight and Other Photographic Equipment: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Umbrella style softboxes
In case of umbrella style softboxes main stick of umbrella comes in the way of light bulb and difficult to accommodate multi socket holder. But softbox is really big and I like that aspect.
amazon.com : Godox 47?tag=pentaxforums-20&"/120cm Umbrella Octagon Softbox Reflector with Carrying Bag for Portrait or Product Photography +SUPON USB LED free gift (120cm) : Camera & Photo
What you have linked looks more suitable for studio rather than out in the field. However I am at the mercy of more knowledgeable chaps in this regard as I wouldn't really be asking for recommendations if I knew what I was after

I definitely like the idea of spending less and and if the softbox suits both speedlights as well as continuous lighting rigs, that's awesome. I guess the major factor is how easily it folds down and how compact it is for porting around.

I checked this softbox out for instance; Raya Raya EFS-24 Easy Fold Softbox Set (24 x 24") EFS-24

I think it's the same one as shown in this here vid;

I'm noticing that where the speedlight pokes through is a large circular hole, looks like it actually might be intended more for the kinda lighting system you have linked. I'm wondering if the speedlight clamp softbox ones you see are better than what this guy has got? (does light escape etc).
05-14-2018, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Rogue FlashBender 2 Large Soft Box Kit works well for me outdoors. It's much more compact than most, and comes as a flatpack that fits in most camera bags.

05-14-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If interested in a 24 x 24 that comes with an S bracket (Bowens) for speedlight, the below is listed at B and H. The difference in this one from the RAYA one is that the top of the flash is held by a clamp type bracket instead of the foot of the flash being in a cold shoe mount, which allows for less of a chance of the flash foot being affected/damaged. The bracket can also utilize umbrellas. The softbox itself has a four cornered set of sides which pull over the bracket for mounting instead of accepting a rotating mount. I have never used one, but it seems like an inexpensive alternative that you get a bracket with.

Godox S-Type Bowens Mount Flash Bracket with Softbox SFUV6060

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-14-2018 at 04:29 PM.
05-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are using off camera then I love my Octabox. They give a circular catch light, assemble in just a couple minutes (most of the time is to put on the front panel diffuser) and give a nice soft light. I have a 32" and 47" version. They are the umbrella type and you can find them on Amazon for a really good price. The light mounts inside so you need a cold shoe bracket with an umbrella holder (also cheap on Amazon). Since getting them I rarely use an umbrella or my 55" Octabox with the base plate and rods (real pain to put together and take apart).
05-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
]
I'm wondering if the speedlight clamp softbox ones you see are better than what this guy has got? (does light escape etc).
Softbox that I linked can wrap around fixture of any size because at the rear end, 4 sides of softbox are not stitched instead they use velcro. It is like joining 4 petals using velcro. Light may leak but small amount. Velcro makes softbox adaptable to different fixtures.

Watch 5.05min
How to Set Up Softbox Lighting Kit (Fancierstudio) - YouTube

Last edited by pentaxfall; 05-14-2018 at 08:38 PM.
05-15-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In the field I am using this: 8080-octagon-SOFTBOX-grid

I tried with softboxes different sizes but it did not work for me... The thing is that you will find very soon that the power of one flash is not sufficient unless you working with big battery powered studio lights, therefore I had to think what I can do to avoid hauling big heavy lights with me. The solution that I was coming with is to combine multiple flash lights into one softbox and that I linked above worked perfectly. I just added this --> Triple Hot Shoe Light and Sound Bracket with Umbrella Holder, Mount J and mounted 3 flashes around. I am using Yongnuo YN560 TX controller and a mix of 560IV and 560III flashes. The good thing is that I can also pack few umbrellas with me (I have one very, very large umbrella) and can change in very short time from brolly box to shoot through umbrella for very soft light. I group usually all 3 flashes in one group and change power level on all of them at same time but also can shut down one flash if needed. It is very effective and portable setup. and fits all in one bag (Tall light stand + flashes + umbrellas and batteries). Also I have with me one small light stand that I use with another flash light that I control also with same controller for back lightning if necessary.

Have fun finding the right combo. It is winding road to discovery...
05-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
If you are using off camera then I love my Octabox. They give a circular catch light, assemble in just a couple minutes (most of the time is to put on the front panel diffuser) and give a nice soft light. I have a 32" and 47" version. They are the umbrella type and you can find them on Amazon for a really good price. The light mounts inside so you need a cold shoe bracket with an umbrella holder (also cheap on Amazon). Since getting them I rarely use an umbrella or my 55" Octabox with the base plate and rods (real pain to put together and take apart).
If you have time, please have a look for those parts and specific Octabox on b&h's site as I am putting a large order in and they ship to Australia. Amazon can be hit or miss when it comes to shipping this way (and normally more expensive shipping). Thanks for the suggestions, if you don't have time don't worry I'll have a hunt myself, but there seems to be a lot of 'Octabox's' so was just curious to know the exact model you have and stand by.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The Rogue FlashBender 2 Large Soft Box Kit works well for me outdoors. It's much more compact than most, and comes as a flatpack that fits in most camera bags.
Good suggestion. I actually watched a video comparing the flashbender with an array of different diffusers one of which is a Gary Fong diffuser (which I own), so it feels that the flashbender is probably too similar to that device (which is what I have to rely on currently), but thanks for the suggestion!

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If interested in a 24 x 24 that comes with an S bracket (Bowens) for speedlight, the below is listed at B and H. The difference in this one from the RAYA one is that the top of the flash is held by a clamp type bracket instead of the foot of the flash being in a cold shoe mount, which allows for less of a chance of the flash foot being affected/damaged. The bracket can also utilize umbrellas. The softbox itself has a four cornered set of sides which pull over the bracket for mounting instead of accepting a rotating mount. I have never used one, but it seems like an inexpensive alternative that you get a bracket with.

Godox S-Type Bowens Mount Flash Bracket with Softbox SFUV6060
Yeh I saw that one also, cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Softbox that I linked can wrap around fixture of any size because at the rear end, 4 sides of softbox are not stitched instead they use velcro. It is like joining 4 petals using velcro. Light may leak but small amount. Velcro makes softbox adaptable to different fixtures.

Watch 5.05min
How to Set Up Softbox Lighting Kit (Fancierstudio) - YouTube
Yep I see, interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
In the field I am using this: 8080-octagon-SOFTBOX-grid

I tried with softboxes different sizes but it did not work for me... The thing is that you will find very soon that the power of one flash is not sufficient unless you working with big battery powered studio lights, therefore I had to think what I can do to avoid hauling big heavy lights with me. The solution that I was coming with is to combine multiple flash lights into one softbox and that I linked above worked perfectly. I just added this --> Triple Hot Shoe Light and Sound Bracket with Umbrella Holder, Mount J and mounted 3 flashes around. I am using Yongnuo YN560 TX controller and a mix of 560IV and 560III flashes. The good thing is that I can also pack few umbrellas with me (I have one very, very large umbrella) and can change in very short time from brolly box to shoot through umbrella for very soft light. I group usually all 3 flashes in one group and change power level on all of them at same time but also can shut down one flash if needed. It is very effective and portable setup. and fits all in one bag (Tall light stand + flashes + umbrellas and batteries). Also I have with me one small light stand that I use with another flash light that I control also with same controller for back lightning if necessary.

Have fun finding the right combo. It is winding road to discovery...
That's why you're here

I think you are the future me, in that if I go down the softbox route I will be throwing money away and eventually come round to your conclusion. Of all the suggestions I like this one the most. I will already be carrying a bag or sling bag of some description that is orientated to pack in long cylindrical objects such as lightstands and tripods, so if the softbox is actually compressing down to being an umbrella design (rather than something that is a bit more cumbersome to pack away like a weird shaped tent) then that makes life simpler from a setup, pack away and carrying perspective. Then I can also (due to the size and space) add additional flash power also (if need be).
I'm a little lost on the passage highlighted bold, are you saying that the setup can also take an umbrella placed in front to further diffuse the flash light?

Thanks for the links, once again I am putting an order in at b&h so if you are able to find exactly what you use on that site (or something you think of as the equivalent then please by all means be my guest If not I will try looking and link you back perhaps.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by BruceBanner; 05-15-2018 at 10:38 PM.
05-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H only has the Wescott Rapid Box and it is way over priced $249 for the 36" version. I am putting the Amazon links to the two I bought and love. The advantage to the umbrella type is you can use more than on light if you buy the two, three or four flash brackets.
32" Godox Octabox
amazon.com : Godox 32?tag=pentaxforums-20&"/80cm Umbrella Octagon Softbox Reflector with Carrying Bag for Studio Photo Flash Speedlight : Camera & Photo
47" Godox Octabox
amazon.com : Godox 120cm/47.2in Portable Octagon Softbox Umbrella Brolly Reflector for Speedlight Flash : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
That's what you're here

I think you are the future me, in that if I go down the softbox route I will be throwing money away and eventually come round to your conclusion. Of all the suggestions I like this one the most. I will already be carrying a bag or sling bag of some description that is orientated to pack in long cylindrical objects such as lightstands and tripods, so if the softbox is actually compressing down to being an umbrella design (rather than something that is a bit more cumbersome to pack away like a weird shaped tent) then that makes life simpler from a setup, pack away and carrying perspective. Then I can also (due to the size and space) add additional flash power also (if need be).
I'm a little lost on the passage highlighted bold, are you saying that the setup can also take an umbrella placed in front to further diffuse the flash light?
I usually remove fast brolly box and mount shoot through umbrella but yes, you can do that but you have to remove diffusers that are attached to the front of brolly box. I think I did that only one time when I have mounted very high the brolly box and then removed everything up front and placed shoot through umbrella (medium sized one) in front as I could not angle properly the brolly box. It was group of 4-5 friends (a family with 2 kids and grandma in the forest) that I have to shoot. In order to do that I have used this or very similar mount: U-shape Type Swivel Flash Bracket Umbrella Holder Light Stand Adapter + Triple Head Hot Shoe Mount Adapter for Nikon Canon Olympus Flash Speedlight: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo with 3 flashes mounted. That all was improvised as I didn't bring one more light stand. I just brought my tall light stand (367cm max height) and later used it also with just my large shoot through umbrella (I think it is 160cm wide, but not sure)...

Always improvising... and by the way I have multiple clamps with me in case I have to attach flashes somewhere ie. branches, rails, etc.