Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
My first CPL

Hi,

Newbie question, looking for advice.

Just bought my first CPL (Breakthrough X4) for my holiday to Freycinet in 2 weeks.

I am planning on using it with my Pentax K-70 & DA 18-135 DA 55-300 lenses. (with a 58-62mm step up adaptor)

The Breakthrough Website says I need to change my camera settings to allow for loss of 1 stop of light.

My question is how/what settings do I change (I am guessing I change the F Stop but wont the camera just change the other settings) ?

Cheers,

Arthur

05-17-2018, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

If you use any of the auto-exposure modes, you'll be fine. The light meter will automatically adjust for the loss of light.

If you use manual exposure, use a separate light meter, or are using a manual flash, then you'll need to compensate.
05-17-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think what they really mean to convey is you will loose about a stop of light with the filter, but if you're using any sort of mode where the camera is metering and setting the exposure, the camera will do so correctly. You don't have to set anything special on the camera to support the filter.

What modes are you shooting in, e.g. Av, Tv, P, etc.? If you were shooting in manual mode based on something like the sunny 16 rule, you would need to adjust by a stop to compensate for the light loss, but not if the camera is doing the metering with the filter in place.
05-17-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Like photoptimist said, if you're using one of the "Auto" modes or Shutter priority, Aperture priority, etc., the camera will automatically compensate for it. The only time you'll need to change anything in the settings/manually change anything is if you set your camera to Manual mode, or if you happen to use it on a manual film camera.

Last edited by disconnekt; 05-17-2018 at 01:57 PM.
05-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Wow thanks...…… Glad I asked.

I have just started using Av mode (glad to get off auto)
05-17-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
The only time you'll need to change anything in the settings/manually change anything is if you set your camera to Manual mode, or if you happen to use it on a manual film camera.
Assuming that one is not using TTL metering in M mode.

The working principle is that filter factor does not have to be calculated into the exposure with TTL metering or other configurations where the meter read behind the mounted filter (some metered rangefinder film cameras).

Steve
05-17-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chook Quote
I have just started using Av mode (glad to get off auto)
With the exception of birding, I probably shoot 95% of my stuff in Av mode. You'll be fine with your CPL shooting this way.

Since this is your first CPL, you might find this article on them of use. I love them and have them for pretty much every lens I own. One of the few filters you can't reproduce in post processing.

How to Use a Polarizing Filter - Photography Life

They have several articles on CPLs and some other filters there you might want to peruse: Polarizing Filter - Photography Life

Hope this all helps to get you going.

05-17-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Your K-70 will meter taking into account the CPL, Arthur.

Have fun in Freycinet ... try and get a shot from the heights of the sweep of Wineglass Bay.
05-17-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your K-70 will meter taking into account the CPL, Arthur.

Have fun in Freycinet ... try and get a shot from the heights of the sweep of Wineglass Bay.
Thanks...……… I heard there are 2 lookouts to get a photo of wineglass bay from on the side of the mountain (90mins return) or from the top of Mt Amos (3 Hrs return but very steep). Might do the easy one first & depending on the weather do the Mt Amos one the next day.
05-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can, do the sea kayaking excursion. Very, very good, and fine for beginners.