Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #1

OpTech Soft Pouch Digital series

Hello,

I have always wanted a protective case (pouch) for my K100D, something like the leather case for my old ME Super would be ideal :-)
But, since I do not want to pay hundreds of euros to get me one custom made, I am thinking in using one of these: OpTech Soft Puch Digital series
Soft Pouch– Digital D-Series | Demo Page

Does anybody actually have one and would like to share her/his oppinions?

Thanks,
Bostjan

09-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bostjan Quote
Hello,

I have always wanted a protective case (pouch) for my K100D, something like the leather case for my old ME Super would be ideal :-)
But, since I do not want to pay hundreds of euros to get me one custom made, I am thinking in using one of these: OpTech Soft Puch Digital series
Soft Pouch– Digital D-Series | Demo Page

Does anybody actually have one and would like to share her/his oppinions?

Thanks,
Bostjan
Its on its way, will let you know when it arrives. amazon.com has them for $19.57 shipped to your door (in the U.S.) and the reviews are good. I bought it for those times when i drive from place to place in parks with camera sitting on the seat.
09-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Cool... Please let me know Your thoughts about the pouch, when You get it and try it...

Thanks,
Bostjan
09-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #4

I vote for lenscoat body pouch

I tried both optech and lenscoat at Adorama, and looked briefly at Zing. The optech had a snap closure, which wasn't good for me. Required too much manual dexterity, and limited the "fudge factor". The Lenscoat is velcro closure. Both are similar thickness neoprene.

I think the Zing was thicker neoprene, but I don't think they had a body only cover. (I was shopping body only covers for a DA40 setup)

Here are some rough pics: K100d+BlackRapid+Lenscoat

09-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Deuces, interesting alternative...
BTW: is that shoulder strap on Your Picassa album homemade?

Bostjan
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #6

Deuces, interesting alternative...
BTW: is that shoulder strap on Your Picassa album homemade?

Bostjan
Strap is a Black Rapid R-strap. I was gonna do a review type post on this setup. I was trying to get a very portable and usable rig for walking around in NYC. I came with:

K100d Super
DA40 (keep hood, ditch screw-on lenscap)
ebay snap-on lenscap
Black Rapid R-strap
Manfrotto quick release (R-strap connects to tripod socket)
Lenscoat body pouch

Unfortunately still quite bulky as you can see in the pictures...

Oh, let me add, I love every part listed above, except maybe the K100d Super, I was a bit disappointed in, having started on a K10d. There's a hundred small things that makes the K10d a lot more satisfying to use.

The R-strap is totally killer. I've replaced that bulky thing that screws into the tripod mount with a manfrotto quick release plate (which has a D-ring on the bottom).

Last edited by deuces; 09-10-2008 at 01:59 PM.
09-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Its on its way, will let you know when it arrives. amazon.com has them for $19.57 shipped to your door (in the U.S.) and the reviews are good. I bought it for those times when i drive from place to place in parks with camera sitting on the seat.
Ditto. Ordered myself one thanks to this thread (and some SD cards and a book... ). Have been wanting something to protect the camera on one-lens trips and this looks perfect - not nearly as bulky and *obvious* as the OEM holster bag which won't even accommodate the battery grip.

09-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Cool... Please let me know Your thoughts about the pouch, when You get it and try it...

Thanks,
Bostjan
the cover/ case arrived today and the quality is good. it easily fits over the K20D with the sigma 10-20mm lens with lens hood reversed. theres not much room left, but it does stretch a bit so a slightly longer lens would squeeze in. It will NOT accomodate my f*300mm lens, but i didn't get it for that. As a walk around lens protective case, its a keeper. I like the snaps as they are quieter than velcro. You can screw the strap for the case into the tripod socket or use the included rubber lens ring to allow the case to dangle when removed. Since its so light-weight, it really doesn't interfere with shooting and it can be used as a pad to set the camera on for remote pics of u and friends. I haven't seen or tried any neoprene cases other than this one.
09-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ivoire,

thank You for Your report! It seems that the pouch is an OK product. I will order it soon :-)

Thanks,
Bostjan
09-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I like the snaps as they are quieter than velcro.
If you remove the snaps from the flap, take a thin bungee cord and create a loop by threading one end of the bungee through each snap hole, tying a knot in the bungee ends to secure the loop, you have a quiet and much faster closure for the pouch. You simply pull the loop under the camera body, like you would to close the flap with the snaps, and loop the bungee over the lens to hold the pouch closed.

If you make the loop long enough, you can use a cord lock on the loop to tighten and loosen the loop. A bit of heat shrink tubing, of coarse threaded on to the bungee before you tied one end and melted at the apex of the loop, will keep the cord lock from ever having the ability to come off the top of the loop. This will allow for a number of lenses to work with the loop closure.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-13-2008 at 05:36 PM.
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
If you remove the snaps from the flap, take a thin bungee cord and create a loop by threading one end of the bungee through each snap hole, tying a knot in the bungee ends to secure the loop, you have a quiet and much faster closure for the pouch. You simply pull the loop under the camera body, like you would to close the flap with the snaps, and loop the bungee over the lens to hold the pouch closed.

If you make the loop long enough, you can use a cord lock on the loop to tighten and loosen the loop. A bit of heat shrink tubing, of coarse threaded on to the bungee before you tied one end and melted at the apex of the loop, will keep the cord lock from ever having the ability to come off the top of the loop. This will allow for a number of lens to work with the loop closure.

Thank you
Russell

Pictures!!
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Pictures!!
Indeed. Don't get mine until probably tuesday, but I'm curious about this mod myself.
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote

If you make the loop long enough, you can use a cord lock on the loop to tighten and loosen the loop. A bit of heat shrink tubing, of coarse threaded on to the bungee before you tied one end and melted at the apex of the loop, will keep the cord lock from ever having the ability to come off the top of the loop. This will allow for a number of lens to work with the loop closure.

Thank you
Russell
Russell, thats a great idea!
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #14

Ivoire, which style digital series pouch did you get for you K20D? I was looking at Optech's site using the Advanced Search and they recommend the "D-Midsize", but when I use the search using the K10D as the camera they recommend the "D-SLR". I just want to make sure I order the right pouch. Thanks in advance.

-AndyB
09-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
Ivoire, which style digital series pouch did you get for you K20D? I was looking at Optech's site using the Advanced Search and they recommend the "D-Midsize", but when I use the search using the K10D as the camera they recommend the "D-SLR". I just want to make sure I order the right pouch. Thanks in advance.

-AndyB
I ordered this one from ace photo digital thru amazon.com:

Amazon.com: OP/TECH Digital D Series D-SLR Neoprene Pouch for Digital SLR Cameras - Black: Electronics

The K20D with the Sigma 17-35mm fits in this also.

Last edited by ivoire; 09-13-2008 at 12:12 PM.