Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

3rd party D-BG2 grip replacement

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
Has anyone bought one of these Chinese D-BG2 battery grip replacements from jinfinance:
pro battery grip for Pentax K10D K20D replace D-BG2 - eBay Other, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 13-Sep-08 07:06:51 AEST)

It is a big saving on the Pentax version, so I'm after opinions.

Thanks, Dave

09-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you buy that, you won't have a fully sealed body. No?
09-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Banned

looking at the gear in your signature, it seems a little funny to not want to but the genuine one. I agree with Dan, this one will not provide weather sealing, but beyond that I cant really comment. it looks like a good quality reproduction.
09-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
Hi,
Has anyone bought one of these Chinese D-BG2 battery grip replacements from jinfinance:
pro battery grip for Pentax K10D K20D replace D-BG2 - eBay Other, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 13-Sep-08 07:06:51 AEST)

Thanks, Dave
It seems to be an almost copy of the original Pentax. I say almost because there are some little differences here and there.

09-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone here bought one, I can't find the thread tho. I remember asking about it and he stated that it seemed good. Try a search in the accessories forum, maybe.
09-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Hi,

Thanks, Dave
First, there are now two versions for this 3rd party battery grip. Some improvements
were made to the 2nd version. The maker has even a supporting post on a
Chinese photo forum, which is good. 无忌论坛 - 【产品专题】[Travor旅行家] 讨论区-手柄,电池,充电器!-新品S350PRO专业级手柄上市!
This bay listing is not clear about the version.
I bought from the same seller, I believe what I have is the old version. The battery
slider door is not firm, the two wheels are not that smooth, comparing to the
wheels on the Pentax body. Other than that I was happy, so far.
Someone on that Chinese forum did mention that after some use, the wheels
became easy to operate.
Also, the maker said that both door and wheel problems have been fixed. If you
could read Chinese: "最近不会升级.但是现在拨轮和电池仓的缝隙都改好了." or maybe
use Google translator?

I would suggest double check with the seller to find out the version, if you do
want one, you want to get the newer version.

Hope this helps.

Pinwu
09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Just buy the real one and be done with it. The Pentax version just does "what it says on the tin", you know it's compatable and you know it's going to work.

09-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One thing I can't understand is why some people put about $600.00 or $700.00 on a camera, and then try to save a few pennies on the accessories. Considering the value of the camera, I don't think it is worth using substandard products to go with it. It's just my opinion, but, considering the investment already made, I'll stick to original Pentax accessories. Like that, if something goes wrong with the camera/grip combo, I can send back the whole thing to Pentax, and they won't be able to come up with something like: "well, it's caused by third party accessories, so the guarantee won't cover the repair".
09-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
One thing I can't understand is why some people put about $600.00 or $700.00 on a camera, and then try to save a few pennies on the accessories. Considering the value of the camera, I don't think it is worth using substandard products to go with it. It's just my opinion, but, considering the investment already made, I'll stick to original Pentax accessories. Like that, if something goes wrong with the camera/grip combo, I can send back the whole thing to Pentax, and they won't be able to come up with something like: "well, it's caused by third party accessories, so the guarantee won't cover the repair".

Is there a real difference here with those who by non pentax lenses?

I for one would by the Pentax brand... but thats just me.

Neil
09-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my k10d as a kit from Galaxy Camera in Ottawa, ON, Canada, complete with the grip, extra battery, remote F and DA 12-24, no shipping charge last November for C$1,699.99. Not the cheapest, but they still have a 100% rating. No complaints. I am very happy I bought it with the grip. With two batteries on the go, and no worries about the rain, I am a happy camper. Literally. We "dry camp" in our small trailer. No plug ins, so I cannot recharge batteries easily.
09-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Is there a real difference here with those who by non pentax lenses?

I for one would by the Pentax brand... but thats just me.

Neil
Companies like Tamron and Sigma have a long history in the glass business. They built a reputation over a long time, which is not the case with those companies manufacturing thes grips. They might be good, but you hardly have any feedback about them, so you don't really know what their quality standards (if they have any) are. One copy might be very good, the next one a piece of crap. What is the real killer is if there is a problem with the combo, who will pay for the repair? I know (from past history) that Tamron and Sigma (and a few others) stand behind their products. I know nothing about the manufacturers of those grips.
09-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by s閍muis Quote
looking at the gear in your signature, it seems a little funny to not want to but the genuine one.
Fair call!

Although I'm not sure I would even use the grip very often, so I thought a cheapie would be a good compromise.

If I knew I'd use it often, I wouldn't hesitate to get the original.
09-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Fair call!

Although I'm not sure I would even use the grip very often, so I thought a cheapie would be a good compromise.

If I knew I'd use it often, I wouldn't hesitate to get the original.
You'd no doubt keep it attached all the time; as it provides a massive improvement in handling.
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
One thing I can't understand is why some people put about $600.00 or $700.00 on a camera, and then try to save a few pennies on the accessories.
I can see your point in this case, but generally, it's silly to think this way. One of the primary reasons people choose Pentax gear is because of the value equation. These same people would be the same people who look to maximize value on every purchase. Is the Pentax branded case better than a Lowepro or a Crumpler? Is the Pentax branded lenscap better than the Nikon or ebay nobrand? Is an Optech neoprene neck strap cheaper/better than the Pentax? Remote shutter releases, wired or IR?

Sometimes 3rd party items actually are better than the OEM version.

If the value equation is not there, as you say, it doesn't make sense to save. But the reasoning that many of us applied to choose $600-700 systems instead of $1000-1200 systems also applies to accessories.
09-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Dunno if its fully compatible or if it will keep the weathersealing. What calls my attention is that anytime that someone in the aftermarket business starts manofacturing stuff that is "specific" to certain products, it means that the market share of such products is high (or getting high enough) for aftermarket manofacturers to start taking bites of this business.

Same thing happens everywhere. Look at the automotive parts business. Nobody is making Rolls Royce brake pads (aftermarket) but you can find hundreds of Toyota compatible brake pads everywhere.

Get my point?

Robert B.