Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What flash can I use for auto and manual lenses?

Hello, some days ago I had feel strong desire to bought a flash. What model will be best if I want to use autofocus lenses and manual (M42) lenses?

05-26-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Autofocus lenses can be used with any flash mode, but old manual lenses cannot be used with P-TTL (automatic exposure) flash mode. So as long as your flash has both P-TTL and Manual flash modes you can do everything needed.

The old "Auto Thyristor" flash mode is also good with manual lenses, providing automatic flash exposures but without needing aperture and other info transmitted from the camera. The older Pentax AF-360 / 540 FGZ flashes provide all three modes I've mentioned. Some older Metz models may also. Otherwise buy a newer P-TTL / M flash and also an old Thyristor type from the film days. Auto-Thyristor mode is labour intensive in terms of settings and flash exposure control however, as you need to juggle aperture and ISO inputs on both flash and camera, as well as perhaps needing to read off distance or aperture figures depending on the model and it's era.
05-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you, Nigel! I had read your flash guide 2015, and selected AF540FGZ. Thank you for detailed guides.
Best regards!
05-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Good choice of flash ! There's a section in my Guide about the A mode and how to control flash exposure using it.

06-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Hello, some days ago I had feel strong desire to bought a flash. What model will be best if I want to use autofocus lenses and manual (M42) lenses?
it is really dependent on the body as well as the lenses

for legacy lenses i use my *istD as it can run in TTL and P-TTL mode, if there is no A setting the camera automatically sets to TTL, it an A contact is sensed, it shoots P-TTL.

i am not sure how many of the *istD range run both flash modes, but clearly by the K series TTL was gone
06-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it is really dependent on the body as well as the lenses

for legacy lenses i use my *istD as it can run in TTL and P-TTL mode, if there is no A setting the camera automatically sets to TTL, it an A contact is sensed, it shoots P-TTL.

i am not sure how many of the *istD range run both flash modes, but clearly by the K series TTL was gone
Hello, Lowell Goudge,
I have a choise between Q, K-01 and K-5 all of them a later than *istD.

Thank you.
06-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are limited to a more modern camera then you need a flash that shoots in auto mode with an internal light sensor, for a relatively high power unit , again the AF 540 FTZ can work in this mode, you would need to enter shooting aperture into the flash, and shoot in manual mode below 1/125. I recommend this because the flash duration can lead to some trailing curtain cut off of the exposure at maximum power and maximum sync speed
06-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you are limited to a more modern camera then you need a flash that shoots in auto mode with an internal light sensor, for a relatively high power unit , again the AF 540 FTZ can work in this mode, you would need to enter shooting aperture into the flash, and shoot in manual mode below 1/125. I recommend this because the flash duration can lead to some trailing curtain cut off of the exposure at maximum power and maximum sync speed
Thank you for for important information, it will save my time and nervous health during first attempts of using flash and manual lenses. I think in this week i will get a parcel with flash and start practice.