Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Flash for Macro under 150$?

Hello dear Pentaxians,
I would like to try macro pictures (Flowers, insects, product detail,...) with my K-3, some macro rings, the 35mm ltd macro and A-lenses but I am limited by a light problem: light itself.
I have seen macro flash with LED or other lamps. What would be the best course of action (it has to be portable)
I have seen the AF 160FC but it is far too expensive for me

Could You please advice?
Kind regards.
J.

05-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are many solutions. Be sure to check out this thread for some ideas.
Our macro rigs - PentaxForums.com
05-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LESTER DINE SUNPAK MACRO RING FLASH AD-27A PHOTO FLASH / AC ADAPTER | eBay

Should work in manual mode.
05-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
There are many solutions. Be sure to check out this thread for some ideas.
Our macro rigs - PentaxForums.com
Wow, That was fast!
Thanks Swanlefitte

05-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks for your fast advice UncleVanya.
05-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have seen these so far with availability and prices from my location (including Taxes and shipping):

env 100$ (taxes and shipping hurts on that one) Lester Dine sunpack AS 27A, (looks like good old quality, Thanks UncleVanya)
env 75$ Andoer 550D with 48 LED (seems low quality)
env 140$ SIGMA EM 140 DG for pentax. (The Sigma is well quoted on the database, worth it for that price?)

I am still open to advices...
Kind Regards.
J.

05-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

The old Sunpak GX/DX 8R is a popular choice and usually found well under $80 USD. With luck you can even find it with a Pentax (non-TTL) module or find the module separately. Manual down to 1/16th power or use the auto-sensor on the flash. After using it you very quickly get a feel for what apertures to use depending on subject and distance. The Pentax module will set the shutter speed for you.

Here's another budget setup using off-the-shelf mostly no-name equipment
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/242666-my-un...cro-flash.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-27-2018 at 02:35 PM.
05-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can recommend Voking 'real' macro flash. 'Real' means it is actual flash, not LED lamp. It is well built and works with Pentax without any problems, albeit only in manual mode. If I remember correctly I paid around 100$ for new unit.
05-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For my macro setup I use 2 Amazon Basics Flashes ($28 ea) and a wireless trigger set - Neewer has one that is pretty cheap. The flashes can be set for power and the wireless allows me to put them where I want them without fighting wires. The whole package works a treat and you are cooking for less than $100.

Don
05-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the same issue recently.
I went for the Promaster RL 100. Very happy with the results !

RL100 LED Macro Ring Light
05-27-2018, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Here's a different idea that might work, too. I've had great success (if I do say so myself) with an extender/diffuser on my K-S2's pop-up flash. The one I usually use is built using a couple of potato chip tins. It's cheap, light and probably more compact than anything else that you could add to your camera, which might let you get your camera into spaces a bigger flash rig might not fit into. I've even used a modified Starbuck's paper coffee cup for the same purpose, when I forgot my chip-tin version.

Here's my impromptu Starbucks extender/diffuser:

Here are shots I took using it with my Sigma 70mm:

The 70mm Sigma I used for the above images is my most commonly used lens when I'm shooting 1:1. I often shoot smaller insects at higher magnifications, hand held, with shorter working distance, using reversed lenses. The chip-tin extender might not be as useful a solution for subjects at greater distances than I'm usually shooting at. Whatever flash you end up using, adding diffusion will make a big difference to the quality of light and the quality of your images.
06-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks You all for advices and samples!

With all your inputs, I can now narrow my criterias (for now):
- It will be a ring flash
- the lightest as possible (for also handled use) - also as the price of the shipping in correlated to the weight.
- not with LEDs
- able to be used in p-ttl mode if needed (Automatic And Manual)
- less than 150$ (second hands OK)

So, is the Sigma EM 140 DG PA-PTTL a good choice (I found one in my area, shipping included for 137 $)?
Kind regards.
J.
06-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Here's a different idea that might work, too. I've had great success (if I do say so myself) with an extender/diffuser on my K-S2's pop-up flash. The one I usually use is built using a couple of potato chip tins. It's cheap, light and probably more compact than anything else that you could add to your camera, which might let you get your camera into spaces a bigger flash rig might not fit into. I've even used a modified Starbuck's paper coffee cup for the same purpose, when I forgot my chip-tin version.

Here's my impromptu Starbucks extender/diffuser:

Here are shots I took using it with my Sigma 70mm:

The 70mm Sigma I used for the above images is my most commonly used lens when I'm shooting 1:1. I often shoot smaller insects at higher magnifications, hand held, with shorter working distance, using reversed lenses. The chip-tin extender might not be as useful a solution for subjects at greater distances than I'm usually shooting at. Whatever flash you end up using, adding diffusion will make a big difference to the quality of light and the quality of your images.
I really like this idea. Thanks for showing this
06-02-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I really like this idea. Thanks for showing this
You're welcome!

The Pringles tin version can be made in sections so it telescopes to accomodate differing lens lengths. Cutting one section open lengthwise along one side allows you to add a spacer that permits the now larger diameter section to fit over the original diameter tube so it can slide back and forth.
06-22-2018, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
The Pringles tin version can be made in sections so it telescopes to accomodate differing lens lengths. Cutting one section open lengthwise along one side allows you to add a spacer that permits the now larger diameter section to fit over the original diameter tube so it can slide back and forth.

+1

It looks like this: