Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 05:40 AM   #1

m42 Bellows & Slide Copier & K-Mount macro lens

Hi guys
Odd dilemma here...

I have an M42 bellows and slide copier I want to use to 'scan' with DSLR my 35mm film.

ok

My macro lens is the k-Mount M50mm F4

Is there some way I can put this, or another k-Mount macro lens (the M100mm macro is cheaper than the m42 version as it is less flexible for people to use on other mounts) on the bellows?

Thanks for any helpful pointers
Ian

05-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

There's no easy way to do this. You could try using a reverse M42 mount ring to attach the lens reversed to the bellows and one of the inexpensive K-mount extension tubes that screw together to attach to the slide copier. The problem is you'll probably have too much extension to be able to copy the entire slide frame. If you have an APS-C body you won't get full frame coverage regardless unless you use a different focal length lens and play around with some sort of tubes because the bellows on the slide copier aren't long enough.

100mm lenses won't work as the bellows rail isn't long enough. Your best options are to sell the bellows and get a K-mount version with slide copier or buy a 50 or 55mm screw mount prime lens. But then again if you have an APS-C body you won't get full frame coverage.

A non-macro lens may be preferable unless you are using glass slide mounts there will be some curvature of the film chip. Macro lenses have flatter focus fields so the corners of the image may be out of focus due to film curvature.
05-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem is you'll probably have too much extension to be able to copy the entire slide frame. If you have an APS-C body you won't get full frame coverage regardless unless you use a different focal length lens and play around with some sort of tubes because the bellows on the slide copier aren't long enough.
That, unfortunately, is the crux of the matter. Slide/negative copiers are designed to be used with a 50mm lens on the 24x36mm format. Moving to the smaller APS-C format means that less extension is required and the combined thickness of rear standard + front standard for most bellows is too great to allow the needed 1:1.5 reproduction ratio. A longer lens might work except that the lens-to-subject distance would likely be more than the extension provided by the slide/negative holder.

There have been a few discussions about the options for dSLR film digitization on this site and my impression is that most that do it successfully with APS-C use other than a bellows-type slide/negative copier.

Steve
05-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That, unfortunately, is the crux of the matter. Slide/negative copiers are designed to be used with a 50mm lens on the 24x36mm format. Moving to the smaller APS-C format means that less extension is required and the combined thickness of rear standard + front standard for most bellows is too great to allow the needed 1:1.5 reproduction ratio. A longer lens might work except that the lens-to-subject distance would likely be more than the extension provided by the slide/negative holder.

There have been a few discussions about the options for dSLR film digitization on this site and my impression is that most that do it successfully with APS-C use other than a bellows-type slide/negative copier.

Steve
hmm, tricky, challenging, this video gives a lot of info, but I;m not there yet:

05-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a Super Macro Tak 50mm with a bit of extension, rather than bellows, enough to give about 3/4 lifesize instead of 1:1. I rigged up a piece of dowel and a flash bracket to connect the slide copier to the camera tripod socket. This set-up was my inspiration:"Scanning" negatives with a Pentax DSLR | Photo.net Photography Forums
05-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I delt with the same problem. Tried extension tubes, different lens, different bellows and all else I could dream up. Then wised up and bought a Canoscan, fast, cleans up slides. and loads straight to the computer. About a $180.00 investment but makes sense if you have lots of slides to copy. Just the saving in time is worth it. The scanner also copies photos and converts negatives to photos, also saves wear on a DSLR. A win any way you look at it.
06-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry for a bit of a late bump, but I have a K mount macro bellows and slide copier that I use with my K-3ii. They are designed to be used with a larger sensor and a 50 or 55mm lens. However I have successfully used mine with a 28-80 zoom, zoomed pretty much all the way in to 80mm. It works well, but the camera and lens are adjusted all the way back, and the bellows on the slide copier is pulled pretty tight. Then I find the final focus with the focus ring on the lens. I’ve been able to get pretty good quality images:

June 2018: Telephoto - Geof Abruzzi

To do the same with an M42 bellows, you would need to find an M42 lens that is close to 80mm since you can put a K lens onto an M42 mount.

EDIT: this is the lens I’m using, not terribly well reviewed but I think it cost me $15, and it seems pretty good.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Pentax-Takumar-F-28-80mm-F3.5-4.5-Zoom-Lens.html