Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 10:59 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Forum Member

More Pentax related 3D printable goodies

Hi all,

I've recently added a few more 3D printable files to Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects. For those not familiar with Thingiverse, it's an online 3D file sharing community, all files are free to download and print.

Pentax 31mm 1.8 Cokin P Filter adapter: Pentax 31mm 1.8 Cokin P filter adapter by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse

Pentax/Tamron 15-30mm 150mm filter adapter: Tamron - Pentax 15-30mm 2.8 150mm Filter adapter by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse

Cokin P filter holder: Cokin P 84mm 100mm and 150mm filter holder by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse

Magnetic filter mount: Magnetic 100mm and 150mm filter mount adapter by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse

I've attached a quick photo of my 31mm kit, utilizing some of these files. There's a 84mm grad ND filter mounted, with a magnetically mounted 100mm filter on top (ND filter pictured). With this system, the filter threads on the lens aren't used for mounting the adapter, so are free to be used for filters (I've been using a polarizer there). The only thing shown here that I haven't made available is the matte box style hood.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow so great to have someone with your talent and Pentax background giving your time to the community
06-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you !!
06-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cool stuff. My dad was part of thingieverse as ringmaster+some number. He tried to print me some stuff but it always messed up.
He was one of the first in stereo lithography. Its amazing how far this has come.
Look up amazing amiga vol 10. I have the cathedral on the front page.
amazing amiga vol 10 - Google Search

06-06-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Wow so great to have someone with your talent and Pentax background giving your time to the community
Thanks Gary, hope you're getting some use out of that diffuser.

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 12:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Cool stuff. My dad was part of thingieverse as ringmaster+some number. He tried to print me some stuff but it always messed up.
He was one of the first in stereo lithography. Its amazing how far this has come.
Look up amazing amiga vol 10. I have the cathedral on the front page.
amazing amiga vol 10 - Google Search
That's a shame the prints always messed up, there are some great machines available now that print really reliably.

SLA is really interesting technology, good for really fine details I believe. Though the whole process looks a bit messy.
06-06-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great work.

I recently assembled an Anet A8 3-D printer as a learner tool. What 3D design software do you use?
06-06-2018, 02:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Great work.

I recently assembled an Anet A8 3-D printer as a learner tool. What 3D design software do you use?
Thanks rawr,

I use Fusion 360... really powerful, free (if non-commercial) software. Good luck with the A8!

06-06-2018, 03:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arach101 Quote
Good luck with the A8!
Thanks. I have everything setup to spec, and it works really well. My first few trial objects printed fine (except for one disaster, which taught me a bit about overhangs and supports ...).

Next step is to find some design software that isn't too hard to learn. I'll certainly check out Fusion 360. Haven't heard of that before, although I have come across Autodesk in the past.
06-06-2018, 03:28 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I have everything setup to spec, and it works really well. My first few trial objects printed fine (except for one disaster, which taught me a bit about overhangs and supports ...).

Next step is to find some design software that isn't too hard to learn. I'll certainly check out Fusion 360. Haven't heard of that before, although I have come across Autodesk in the past.
I learned Fusion 360 several months ago by watching a few youtube videos. It's not the most user friendly software but it's certainly possible to learn that way
06-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I also want to buy a 3d printer in the future and try to make something usefull. I have some skills modelling stuff with Rhinoceros, but am clueless regarding 3d printing. What kind of printers do you guys have, and what would you recommend based on your experience?(more on the low side of the budget scale)
06-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many thanks for your contributions Arach101! Some things for photography are pretty simple (I don't mean simple to 3D engineer) and 3D printing can be used to great benefit by those of us with access to a printer. Keep those designs coming.
06-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
I also want to buy a 3d printer in the future and try to make something usefull. I have some skills modelling stuff with Rhinoceros, but am clueless regarding 3d printing. What kind of printers do you guys have, and what would you recommend based on your experience?(more on the low side of the budget scale)
I use a Zortrax M200, bought about a year ago.. it's great but not exactly budget friendly. It's the only printer I've ever used so it's hard for me to make recommendations. The one thing I will say is, if you're looking to make functional items you may want to consider getting a printer that can print ABS (you'll need a heated bed and enclosure for that). ABS is tougher than the more commonly used PLA plastic, which can warp if it gets too hot (say, inside a vehicle on a hot day). Though there are new filaments coming out all the time that try to combat that (high-temp PLA and PETG come to mind). Check out the reviews at 2018 Best 3D Printer Guide | 3D Hubs

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 06:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Many thanks for your contributions Arach101! Some things for photography are pretty simple (I don't mean simple to 3D engineer) and 3D printing can be used to great benefit by those of us with access to a printer. Keep those designs coming.
Cheers Bob!
06-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
What kind of printers do you guys have, and what would you recommend based on your experience?(more on the low side of the budget scale)
Well, you can't get lower in the budget scale than an Anet A8 - it only cost me AUD $200, delivered, from eBay. Another PentaxForums user, Sliver-Surfer, uses one, and so I thought I'd give it a go.

Pic related:

But the cheapness comes at a cost: it is totally self-assemble, which is either (a) a useful way to learn the basics of 3D printing from the bottom up, or (b) a tedious pain, depending on your skills as a tinkerer.

But to me, a total newbie, it seems very capable - has a heated bed, can make pretty big models (220x220x240mm) does lots of plastic types (ABS, PLA, PVA etc), and can run print-jobs PC free, which is handy, since some jobs seem to take forever to complete.

Last edited by rawr; 06-06-2018 at 07:28 AM.
06-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, you can't get lower in the budget scale than an Anet A8 - it only cost me AUD $200, delivered, from eBay. Another PentaxForums user, Sliver-Surfer, uses one, and so I thought I'd give it a go.

Pic related:

But the cheapness comes at a cost: it is totally self-assemble, which is either (a) a useful way to learn the basics of 3D printing from the bottom up, or (b) a tedious pain, depending on your skills as a tinkerer.

But to me, a total newbie, it seems very capable - has a heated bed, can make pretty big models (220x220x240mm) does lots of plastic types (ABS, PLA, PVA etc), and can run print-jobs PC free, which is handy, since some jobs seem to take forever to complete.
Thanks for the tip. That is actually a nice price(aprox 120€ in germany). I always choose to diy route if possible, not just because i spare some cash, but also because it's a lot of fun. All i have to do now is find a reason why i need one (i want a lot of stuff, but need almost nothing) and some free money (tax rebate season is around the corner)
06-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arach101 Quote
I learned Fusion 360 several months ago by watching a few youtube videos. It's not the most user friendly software but it's certainly possible to learn that way
I found the Fusion 360 for students and faculty that is non-commercial but on Autodesk's site it appears to be a saleable software. Do you have a link to what you use? Thanks Arach101.