Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I found the Fusion 360 for students and faculty that is non-commercial but on Autodesk's site it appears to be a saleable software. Do you have a link to what you use? Thanks Arach101.
Try this link Bob, you can use the "Start-Up/ Enthusiast license": How to activate Start-up, Student or Educational licensing for Fusion 360 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Hopefully that will get you going

06-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! I was looking at 3D printing myself a Bakhinov mask filter, but my brother's printer is too small for my filter holder size lol.
06-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Nice! I was looking at 3D printing myself a Bakhinov mask filter, but my brother's printer is too small for my filter holder size lol.
Consider using a service like shapeways to print it for you? Though I understand when you have to pay for a 3D print it looses some of it's appeal
06-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arach101 Quote
Consider using a service like shapeways to print it for you? Though I understand when you have to pay for a 3D print it looses some of it's appeal
I wonder what it would cost?) I need a 150x150mm square bahtinov mask (very simple design overall), 2mm thick. If it's over $100 then I might as well buy Lonely Speck's filter. Never tried outsourced 3D printing

06-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try this link Bob, you can use the "Start-Up/ Enthusiast license": How to activate Start-up, Student or Educational licensing for Fusion 360 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Hopefully that will get you going
Much Thanks - have been looking for a good 3D design program to go with my new printer - will try my hand at Fusion 360. Appreciate the tip and link.
06-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I wonder what it would cost?) I need a 150x150mm square bahtinov mask (very simple design overall), 2mm thick. If it's over $100 then I might as well buy Lonely Speck's filter. Never tried outsourced 3D printing
Can you explain a little bit about why you would use a bahtinov mask? It's like a focusing aid for astrophotography? I might need to print one of these for myself..

You can upload a file to shapeways and they'll instantly give you a quote for it to be printed in a variety of materials. If you weren't on the other side of the globe I'd print it for you, but alas.
06-07-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Can you explain a little bit about why you would use a bahtinov mask? It's like a focusing aid for astrophotography? I might need to print one of these for myself..

You can upload a file to shapeways and they'll instantly give you a quote for it to be printed in a variety of materials. If you weren't on the other side of the globe I'd print it for you, but alas.
Yup, it's used for focusing in astrophotography. I've gotten quite fond of that field, and K-1 is a nice astro camera, so I wanted to make things easier for myself with that mask. Just didn't want to cough up $94 for it lol, seems a bit steep considering it's not even optical quality glass or anything and can be cut out of paper lol (might have to do that myself actually). SharpStar2 Precision Focusing Tool by Lonely Speck – Lonely Speck

I'll try shapeways, see what the damage would look like

06-09-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Camera Battery Phone Charger by walter - Thingiverse
USB charger for Pentax D-Li90 batteries. I've been using previous versions of these to recharge my phone (which I use as a GPS) on backpacking trips, but the older versions aren't working as reliably with newer phones. This circuit seems to work better and is much smaller. I usually top off my phone with the batteries when they don't have enough charge for my camera, but I haven't checked to see how well that works with this converter.
06-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks a lot for sharing.
I've bookmarked this thread and your page on Thingiverse... those are really clever ideas, the filter holder in particular, since they tend to be expensive and relatively simple.
06-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Camera Battery Phone Charger by walter - Thingiverse
USB charger for Pentax D-Li90 batteries. I've been using previous versions of these to recharge my phone (which I use as a GPS) on backpacking trips, but the older versions aren't working as reliably with newer phones. This circuit seems to work better and is much smaller. I usually top off my phone with the batteries when they don't have enough charge for my camera, but I haven't checked to see how well that works with this converter.
These are great, walter is an incredibly prolific designer, well worth checking out his work... he has quite a few Pentax related designs.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Thanks a lot for sharing.
I've bookmarked this thread and your page on Thingiverse... those are really clever ideas, the filter holder in particular, since they tend to be expensive and relatively simple.
The 150mm filter holders are particularly expensive, aren't they! That was entirely why I wanted to make my own.
06-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I grabbed a pair of 180mm square filter at a photo event betcause they where too cheap not to buy them.

In the next few weeks i will grab a 3D printer and i plan on making a couple of models until then One of them is a square CPL filter, and i think it will be challenging to to make a nice rotateable holder, but i like a challenge.

If you guy are interested i will keep you up to date with my progress and results
06-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
I grabbed a pair of 180mm square filter at a photo event betcause they where too cheap not to buy them.

In the next few weeks i will grab a 3D printer and i plan on making a couple of models until then One of them is a square CPL filter, and i think it will be challenging to to make a nice rotateable holder, but i like a challenge.

If you guy are interested i will keep you up to date with my progress and results
I'd love to see what you come up with robiles. I think it would be a very easy modification to allow some of my designs to mount 180mm filters, I'd be happy to share some files with you if you wanted to go that route. I have a prototype I've been playing with that allows two filters to be rotated independently from each other, I've been using it with the 15-30mm, a 150mm square GND and a 150mm square CPL. The only issue is, in it's current form, it vignettes quite heavily at the wider end, I've got some work to do to make it more compact.
06-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'd love to see what you come up with robiles. I think it would be a very easy modification to allow some of my designs to mount 180mm filters, I'd be happy to share some files with you if you wanted to go that route. I have a prototype I've been playing with that allows two filters to be rotated independently from each other, I've been using it with the 15-30mm, a 150mm square GND and a 150mm square CPL. The only issue is, in it's current form, it vignettes quite heavily at the wider end, I've got some work to do to make it more compact.
In what format can you save your work, for sharing? My intention is to analyse the mounts already made by other manufacturers and take it further.

For me 180mm filters are overkilled overkill, because i use aps-c and dont plan on going full frame for the time being, but plan on buying the upcoming 11-18, so it should have somewhat similar needs.

If you are up to it we can share and develop filter holders in parallel, it would sure be a lot of fun to continue each others designs when we get stuck.
06-11-2018, 12:34 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
In what format can you save your work, for sharing? My intention is to analyse the mounts already made by other manufacturers and take it further.

For me 180mm filters are overkilled overkill, because i use aps-c and dont plan on going full frame for the time being, but plan on buying the upcoming 11-18, so it should have somewhat similar needs.

If you are up to it we can share and develop filter holders in parallel, it would sure be a lot of fun to continue each others designs when we get stuck.
Fusion 360 can export in several different formats, I'll need to do a bit of googling to work out which one would be the easiest to work with.

Absolutely I'd be keen for some collaboration. When you've got your 11-18mm send me a PM and we can perhaps create a filter system for it!
08-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

NATO/Picatinny Rail for Hot Shoe by Bikecyclist - Thingiverse
Flash Hot Shoe Picatinny Rail (2 Slots) (5VS74B67J) by cynosurex

Not 3D-printed, but the opposite of the previous two:
RAIL DOGZ Low Profile Gun Rail Mount for Small Cameras - All Metal Cam ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA

Last edited by angerdan; 08-11-2018 at 08:22 AM.