Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
quality step up rings?

Hello dear Pentaxian,
I would like to know where I can find step-up rings from 49 mm to anything that are VERY solid?
Thank You to let me know.
Kind regards.
J.

06-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Early last year I bought a set of step-up and step-down rings by K&F Concept (see my original post HERE). They're solid, the threads are well cut and finished, and I've been very happy with them so far. Much better than any other rings I've owned
06-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Hello dear Pentaxian,
I would like to know where I can find step-up rings from 49 mm to anything that are VERY solid?
What is your definition of "solid"?

Step up rings are made of either polycarbonate (the most likely to cross-thread or break), anodized aluminum (the most common), and brass (the most durable and considered the most 'reliable').

Both Heliopan and Sensei make brass step up rings, but in the 49mm+ sizes, you're looking at mostly Heliopan.

I prefer using BHphotovideo because of their selection, competitive prices, and it's easy to filter the parameters of what I need on the side bars of their web pages.
06-18-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
That is another way of asking what you are wanting to do that requires a robust ring.

Steve

06-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is another way of asking what you are wanting to do that requires a robust ring.

Steve
LOL! I was wondering myself since unless you are stacking them to act as a hood, how much stress does the average step up ring need to withstand?
06-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Early last year I bought a set of step-up and step-down rings by K&F Concept (see my original post HERE). They're solid, the threads are well cut and finished, and I've been very happy with them so far. Much better than any other rings I've owned
thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

Step up rings are made of either polycarbonate (the most likely to cross-thread or break), anodized aluminum (the most common), and brass (the most durable and considered the most 'reliable').

Both Heliopan and Sensei make brass step up rings, but in the 49mm+ sizes, you're looking at mostly Heliopan.

Thanks!

I prefer using BHphotovideo because of their selection, competitive prices, and it's easy to filter the parameters of what I need on the side bars of their web pages.
Thanks! (BHphotovideo is quite expensive for me because I am living in Europe)

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
LOL! I was wondering myself since unless you are stacking them to act as a hood, how much stress does the average step up ring need to withstand?
It is for a 55mm (or a 52mm) sigma ring flash...
06-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Go for the brass or well made aluminum models since that is a bit more weight than a filter. Probably not a huge amount but well machined threads are nice to spread the load bearing area around the lens.

06-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks!

The K&F Concepts rings are aluminium but very strong, with no "flex" like the awful generic / unbranded types . They'll work well for your ring flash, I'm sure.
06-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ohhhh...I would like one of those.

It is a real shame that adapters for 49mm are not included with most ring flash. I agree that a brass adapter would be desirable since it is often a pain to thread the flash onto the lens.

Steve
06-18-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Go for the brass or well made aluminum models since that is a bit more weight than a filter. Probably not a huge amount but well machined threads are nice to spread the load bearing area around the lens.
I would not see the ring go away and smash on/to the ground

The K&F Concepts rings are aluminium but very strong, with no "flex" like the awful generic / unbranded types . They'll work well for your ring flash, I'm sure.
Thanks, seems that they are sold in packages (could be useful also with my 67mm lenses)

Ohhhh...I would like one of those.
It is a real shame that adapters for 49mm are not included with most ring flash. I agree that a brass adapter would be desirable since it is often a pain to thread the flash onto the lens.
Steve
It will come probably tomorrow with 55mm, 58mm and 72mm ring flash adapter, it is a second hand Sigma EM 140 DG for Pentax (pttl, Yeah!)
06-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Mike,
Is it those?
amazon.com : Step Up Ring, K&F Concept 22pcs Filter Ring Set 11pcs Step Down Adpater Ring + 11pcs Step Up Rings for Filters 52-55MM 55-58MM 72-77MM 77-82MM 58-55MM 62-58MM 67-62MM 72-67MM 77-72MM : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Thanks.
J.
06-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, seems that they are sold in packages (could be useful also with my 67mm lenses)
You're welcome

Honestly, the sets are so inexpensive that it's worth the small outlay to have multiple sizes on hand, just in case... especially since they can be stacked, so (within reason) it's possible to step up and down between most common sizes.

Good luck with your ring flash! Let us know how you get on?
06-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I bought fotodiox rings, and they seem sturdy to me. Haven't used them a whole lot yet, but it's made out of metal and they have a quality feel to them.
06-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're welcome

Honestly, the sets are so inexpensive that it's worth the small outlay to have multiple sizes on hand, just in case... especially since they can be stacked, so (within reason) it's possible to step up and down between most common sizes.

Good luck with your ring flash! Let us know how you get on?
There is free shipping for order bigger than 25$, I thing I will go for it
For the flash, I will need to find some tutorial on that specific model and then...My learning curve will be for Macro and portrait And probably some LBA aftermath
06-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I bought fotodiox rings, and they seem sturdy to me. Haven't used them a whole lot yet, but it's made out of metal and they have a quality feel to them.
Thanks Awscreo, did You tested it with a ring flash?