Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have been following this thread with interest.
Going back home with the KP, 20-40 ltd and the 15mm.

06-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Domke F-3x’es for my ‘Ready Bags’. One for the K-1 and one for the KP. This bag is probably larger than you want, but you might be interested.

I use the F-5xb for my Q7 Kit - camera, 4 lenses, a mini tripod and accessories. I think the F-5 would be too small for your kit. The zipper opening is really pretty tight and would catch on and scratch your camera and lens.

K-1 Bag
  1. Has the Domke insert with three compartments
  2. Large compartment can hold K-1 and D FA*24~70/2.8 face down
  3. Each other (lens) compartment holds lenses - FA31 in one and the FA43 and FA77 stacked in the other.
  4. Normally a prime is mounted and the 24-70 is in one sleeve and the other two primes are stacked in the other sleeve.
KP Bag
  • Has the standard Velcro divider but no insert, making three sections
  • The larger section can hold the KP and D FA28~105 on its baseplate, lens facing forward
  • The other two sections hold the DA21, 40 and 70 stacked.
  • Normally I have one of the pancakes mounted, the 28-105 in one section and the other two pancakes stacked in the other lens section. There’s actually room for either the DA15 or DA35 if I want to add one.
I also carry flashes in one of the exterior pockets - an AF360FGZ in the KP bag and a 540 in the K-1 bag.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-22-2018 at 06:18 PM.
06-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

so, in the interest of scientific inquiry (actually, I hate shopping for bags because I can never tell from pictures online what will fit) I have removed one of the dividers to give an idea what can fit.

My camera is a K-3ii, so presumably a tiny bit bigger than the KP, but the attached lens is a 18-135 which I believe is shorter than the 16-85. The two together are longer than the width of the Domke bag, but being a soft bag it distorts fairly easily. There is space to the side for a single lens, and I stuck in an early 55-300 (not PLM, not WR) Its all tight, but fits fine. instead of the larger 55-300, you could fit two DA limited lenses if you stack them on top of each other.

Also, the zipper closes pretty easily.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
06-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
so, in the interest of scientific inquiry (actually, I hate shopping for bags because I can never tell from pictures online what will fit) I have removed one of the dividers to give an idea what can fit.

My camera is a K-3ii, so presumably a tiny bit bigger than the KP, but the attached lens is a 18-135 which I believe is shorter than the 16-85. The two together are longer than the width of the Domke bag, but being a soft bag it distorts fairly easily. There is space to the side for a single lens, and I stuck in an early 55-300 (not PLM, not WR) Its all tight, but fits fine. instead of the larger 55-300, you could fit two DA limited lenses if you stack them on top of each other.

Also, the zipper closes pretty easily.
Interesting! Could you also fit the same set up with the lens pointing downwards?
Thanks

---------- Post added 23-06-18 at 08:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I use the F-5xb for my Q7 Kit - camera, 4 lenses, a mini tripod and accessories. I think the F-5 would be too small for your kit. The zipper opening is really pretty tight and would catch on and scratch your camera and lens.
I was a bit worried about the tight opening. These are the details that are hard to understand when buying bags online. Your help is appreciated

Anyone having experience with Peak Design 5l sling?

06-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Interesting! Could you also fit the same set up with the lens pointing downwards?
Thanks
With the 18-135, just barely. Any longer and it wont fit. I'm guessing the 16-85 may be a little too much.
06-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
With the 18-135, just barely. Any longer and it wont fit. I'm guessing the 16-85 may be a little too much.
Ah, too bad. Then it's too small for me. Thank you for the information!
06-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Domke F-5xb carries the following combinations for me:
1) K-5II w/DA 21 Ltd + DA 40 and DA 70.
2) K-5II w/DA 15 Ltd + DA 40 and either DA 70 or D FA 100.
3) K-5II w/D FA 100 + one extra lens.

When you remove one divider the bag will hold a spare lens and leave 6 3/4" in length for a camera with lens attached.
Ensure you place the camera in the bag: grip up. The photo below shows the D FA 100 on camera and DA 15 in the bag.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
06-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I use a small shoulder bag. Just wide enough for two limited pouches, top 20mm folded down and thin 3mm extra padding around. Sometimes I stack lenses for transport with a cut out sleeping mattress insert between.

The camera hangs by the strap across my shoulder. With slightly shorter strap so it hangs above the bag.

Bag looks a bit like this
Black Shoulder Bag / Black Small Messenger Bag / Travel Bag /

I blend perfectly with the "yoof" in the ends ;-)
06-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just picked up a Lowe-pro SH160R II.
It fits the KP with 20-40 ltd and the15mm ltd with little to no room to spare.
Maybe not what you are looking for but figured to add my input as this will be my travel kit to Suomi.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

For a simple sling, I bought the AmazonBasics bag. This is a newer version, but I really liked mine. It joined me on a trip to Alaska and kept all my gear organized. Another one that I debated buying was the Lowepro Passport Sling III. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. It seems like a really good bag for travel. I actually tested one out yesterday and wouldn't hesitate to buy it. But I found the Amazon version to be more compact and I prefer its stiffer shape to the Lowepro.
07-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #26

This may be excessive, but sometimes if I am out shooting all day I will carry a small photo backpack to hold things like a poncho and spare batteries along with less used cameras and lenses, and another bag that goes over my shoulder with the two cameras I use most so I can quickly pull them out and put them back while walking.
07-27-2018, 02:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Think Tank's Hubba Hubba Hiney is calling you.

Great as a solo bag and can act as an insert in a bigger bag, it is a kidney bean shape that is slim enough and doesn't make you look like a lunar explorer when worn as a belt bag. (I prefer to slide it on my rear). Add additional pouches pro re nata.
07-27-2018, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Domke F-5xb can double as a doggy bag....