Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

LowePro FastPack 200 + my travel gear

I really don't like sling bags at all, yet I appreciate the easy access they offer - hence my selection of the FastPack 200 instead of the myriad of sling options. I think it will provide a nice compromise between accessibility and carrying comfort for me.

It will require a little adjustment, though. I usually remove backpacks starting with my left shoulder. The FastPack requires one to remove the right shoulder to swing the bag around and access the camera on-the-fly. Feels a bit awkward, but I'm getting much more comfortable with only a small amount of practice.

Edit to add: I adjusted to the right shoulder strap off/on movement quite quickly easily. Now a year in, I appreciate even more the combination of backpack + easy access (similar to a sling).

Anyway, thought others might be interested in a shot of my LowePro FastPack 200 loaded up with my travel gear. Clockwise:
  • K10D + Sigma 17-70 (which fits with hood in either direction)
  • Stacked FA35 f/2 and FA50 f/1.4
  • Stacked Kenko 1.5x TC and FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5
  • Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-4.0
  • Sunpak 383 + Stofen OmniBounce (really only for indoor family shots when the FA 50 isn't fast enough
Miscellaneous stuff goes in the top or other pockets scattered across the bag: filters, LensPen, Rocket blower, lens cloth, AA batteries, SD cards, etc.

In storage position, the Viv S1 pushes out a wee bit on the outer shell. Swapping the Viv S1 and Sigma 17-70 results in a tight fit width-wise, with the K10D body flush against the bag shell, but not pushing it out.

I could slim down the gear by skipping the FA 28-105 and either the FA 35 or FA 50, but it's my first real vacation with my gear and I'm unsure whether or not I'll want the extra walk-around range of the FA 28-105. (For sure, the Viv S1 isn't wide enough for walk-around.) And I know I want at least the FA 50 or 35 for indoor / low light. Probably don't need both, but they're pretty light and don't take up much room, so I'm planning to taking both.

(I'd hoped to slim down to the FastPack 100, but it's simply too small. Fine for local walk-around, but too small - for me - for a 2-3 week vacation with the photo gear and other general stuff I want to carry in the top cavity above the gear, e.g. Asus EEE, light shirt or jacket, hat, etc.)

Anyway, FWIW...hopefully it will help others get a sense for the usable size of the bag.

Attached Images

Last edited by thirdofthree; 10-09-2009 at 03:07 PM.
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks good. I too don't like the slingshot one strag setup. I've been toying with getting a Fastpack as it looks like it would be much more comfortable for me.

I'm also trying out a 6million dollar home bag (crumpler) to see how it works for a day trip.
09-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a little more helpful. But now could someone jump back into the Pentax Sling Bag thread and post several shots of their bag and how it looks in different configurations? Please?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/28935-pentax-sling-bag.html

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 09-12-2008 at 11:10 AM.
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought the FastPack 350 at the beginning of the year when Lowepro had an introductory sale. I have half as many lenses as you but I love the bigger size to carry the laptop accessories when I travel.

I've used the sling function several times to switch between lenes. My only complaint about the 350 is that the waist belt is not detachable. I ended up fastening about thet front of the bag under the buckles near the bottom.

Tim