Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Three legged thing Eclipse Albert carbon fiber tripod

Is there anyone out there using this tripod? The specís seem good. Or can you recommend another carbon fiber tripod?

I currently own a Manfrotto 190 Pro x4 aluminum that IMO is very good with the exception of its weight. I find that I dread if I need it and have to haul it somewhere, especially if I have to carry it some distance. So I am looking for something lighter that can extend to about 6 feet and at least min 1 foot.

06-24-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have this model but I do have the 3 Legged Thing Dave, which is aluminum tripod and a carbon fiber monopod. Both are very well made, very sturdy and do the job well.
06-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

I have the 3 legged thing equinox Winston and love it so far, top notch build quality, love the twist locks and the fact I can take the centre column out so I can get the camera down very low. I imagine the Albert isn't too dissimilar.
06-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Slik PRO 634 CFL Carbon Fiber Last week I got this for 200$ from Ebay. It uses flip lock & 4-sections. I wanted something light and reasonably stable. Short so that I can hang it on backpack.
I also have Manfrotto 290 CF, and it is stronger than Slik 634. That is expected because former has 3 sections & longer (when collapsed), and also heavier.
Slik 700DX is stronger than Manfrotto 290 CF. Your current tripod may match Slik 700dx pro.

06-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Onlineflyer and Simon,

Thank You very much for your responses. I had heard many good things about carbon fiber tripods. I have also heard bad things about poor quality in some less expensive brands. It is great to hear from people that own the brand and can vouch for the quality. I had found a couple of reviews that were positive but no negative reviews. So I figured I’d ask here in the forums to see if there were anyone that had any issues with the brand. Again I just want to say that your opinions matter to me and will help me make my decision.

Thank You
Steve

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 05:16 PM ----------

Pentaxfall,

Thank You for your response. I will definitely look at your suggestions. I definitely want something that is very stable as I will primarily use this for Astro.

Thank You
Steve
06-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I have also heard bad things about poor quality in some less expensive brands.
Steve
If I am doing Astro, i will use Slik 700dx, aluminum tripod over CF tripods. I have three CF tripods in the price range of 225$. None of them are as stable as Slik 700dx Pro. Also 3-section tripods tend to be more stable in general.
07-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Hi Steve, I can only agree with Simon as like him I have the Winston tripod. The quality is fantastic and I would happily recommend taking a look at the 3LT range. They are a great company to deal with. I actually use the legs without the centre column as fully extended its tall enough for me and I can get the camera very low to the ground. I think the albert is more compact when folded but doesn't reach the heights of the Winston. I don't really use anything heavier than the K1 with FA31 but this combo feels very secure on the tripod.

Tony

07-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The CF version of that Manfrotto is also very nice. I have the three section version, now called 190CXPRO3.
Fewer sections sets up faster, is lighter and stiffer, but of course doesn't go as small. I hike with it some and it does well.