Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Flash Bracket for Cactus RF60X

So... I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable flash bracket to fit my K-1 with V6ii trigger. I understand that you can set the comms to short range, so is there a minimum distance recommended? Anyone else do this with the V6ii and RF60X when they want the flash 'on camera' rather than off (for those rare instances that you want to do that)?

TIA!

Bruce

06-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't but I actually thought about it. I don't think this is the exact bracket I found when I was contemplating doing this but it's kind of close to it. It gives enough clearance (and play) to do what I think you're looking to do: Flash Frame Flash Flip H.O.T. Bracket for DSLR Cameras FF400 B&H
07-03-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I haven't but I actually thought about it. I don't think this is the exact bracket I found when I was contemplating doing this but it's kind of close to it. It gives enough clearance (and play) to do what I think you're looking to do: Flash Frame Flash Flip H.O.T. Bracket for DSLR Cameras FF400 B&H
Thanks for that.

I've been doing a small amount of research on this, I didn't realise that there can be such a huge price deviation between these things, some over $300!

I did see this video here and found this guys point pretty valid about how some brackets and the rotation from portrait to landscape can get cramped or actually not possible if having a trigger or something large in the cameras hotshoe;

However the brackets he uses are peculiar as the camera rotates rather the arm of the bracket changes. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of merit in that, I would have thought the additional mechanism pieces to rotate the camera would just add unnecessary additional weight. However having never used one perhaps the hinge in a more standard bracket does get flimsier and annoying, I can see how an 'all-in-one' bracket might feel a little better/studier to use.

I also want to consider if I can mount an arca swiss plate to the apparatus as well, not that this would be a thing I would do, but it might come in handy for certain occasions.

I do however think that the contraption he finally settles on and is happy with looks ridiculous! It might be highly customisable but it looks so big and obtrusive to use...

This one for example from Vello; https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743039-REG/Vello_CB_200_Speedy_Camera_Bracket.html

I could see a K-1 with the V6ii trigger on top struggling to go into portrait mode! More than meets the eye with these things.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-03-2018 at 04:10 AM.
07-03-2018, 04:08 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for that.

I've been doing a small amount of research on this, I didn't realise that there can be such a huge price deviation between these things, some over $300!

I did see this video here and found this guys point pretty valid about how some brackets and the rotation from portrait to landscape can get cramped or actually not possible if having a trigger or something large in the cameras hotshoe;

Stroboframe Pro-RL Review - YouTube

However the brackets he uses are peculiar as the camera rotates rather the arm of the bracket changes. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of merit in that, I would have thought the additional mechanism pieces to rotate the camera would just add unnecessary additional weight. However having never used one perhaps the hinge in a more standard bracket does get flimsier and annoying, I can see how an 'all-in-one' bracket might feel a little better/studier to use.

I also want to consider if I can mount an arca swiss plate to the apparatus as well, not that this would be a thing I would do, but it might come in handy for certain occasions.

I do however think that the contraption he finally settles on and is happy with looks ridiculous! It might be highly customisable but it looks so big and obtrusive to use...
There used to be a great bracket that fit around the lens. I can't seem to find it anymore but it cleared the hotshoe no matter what was on there. I am going to see if I can find it.

07-03-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
There used to be a great bracket that fit around the lens. I can't seem to find it anymore but it cleared the hotshoe no matter what was on there. I am going to see if I can find it.
Was it something like this? Ziv Dual Shoe C Bracket BCA-712R B&H Photo Video

I saw that and thought it looked pretty neat, but then I thought perhaps with the v6ii trigger and rf60x that there would be too little distance between the two to communicate properly (even with radio set to short range). And then I can also see a certain advantage of having the flash quite a bit higher than the camera rather than something more akin to the hotshoe position. I'll also be Manual Focusing so the idea of having an obstacle to the focus ring was a turn off.

But I can see how that might work for other users and setups.
07-03-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Was it something like this? Ziv Dual Shoe C Bracket BCA-712R B&H Photo Video

I saw that and thought it looked pretty neat, but then I thought perhaps with the v6ii trigger and rf60x that there would be too little distance between the two to communicate properly (even with radio set to short range). And then I can also see a certain advantage of having the flash quite a bit higher than the camera rather than something more akin to the hotshoe position. I'll also be Manual Focusing so the idea of having an obstacle to the focus ring was a turn off.

But I can see how that might work for other users and setups.
It wasn't - it was called a "junior journalists" bracket or something like that. I remember not pulling the switch on it because I thought it was too much money. I am going to see if I can find it somewhere.
07-04-2018, 03:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I've been giving this a lot of thought...

When I get my flash bracket, it won't just be the Cactus RF60X mounted but also my magmod diffusers, things will get heavier 'up top'.
I've read plenty of reviews of people talking about the various different flash brackets where the arm rotates positions. The two complaints I hear about this are;

1) there is no lock, it's a spring lock only, it might sound fine in practice as it allows the photographer to switch the arm quickly when toggling between landscape and portrait shooting, but many reviewers criticise the 'flimsiness' of a spring lock arm, preferring the idea of a lock but not a lot of brands off this...

2) When the flash is in portrait mode it is vertical, this still isn't ideal, and with diffusers in place may even be annoying, the photographer has to adjust two things when toggling to and fro, the arm as well as the flash head (if possible).

So the idea of the bracket staying fixed and the camera doing the rotation now doesn't seem so stupid after all, perhaps it adds bulk but the process is overall quicker and sturdier. Some of the rotation mechanisms have locks as well whereas I am struggling to find any arms that flip over to have a lock...

However many of these brackets that have the camera rotation mechanism are discontinued from what I can tell, or mega expensive and also really big and bulky...

Hmm... definitely more than meets the eye to all of this.

I did see this one reasonably priced, not sure if it will clear well with a K-1 + Samyang 85/1.4, not to mention if I am using the V6ii then there goes my autofocus assistance beam...

Vello Quickshot Rotating Flash Bracket CB-300 B&H Photo Video