Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would the O-ME53 eye cup for my K3 be worth it (for birding).

This is probably a shot in the dark (so to speak) but I was wondering if this magnifier would be of any use to me:
My eyesight not being what it used to be and the fact that I have astigmatism in my dominant/shooting eye, I thought that this could help a bit.
I mainly do birding, especially in forested areas where the light isn't always at its best, using a K3 + DA*300/4.
BTW, I do wear glasses.

Any thought(s) on this anyone?

07-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the O-ME53 on both of my K-3's and I find that it is a tremendous help focusing with manual-focus....

I wear glasses also...
07-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one on my K 3 and one on my K 3 II

and I like them

they seem to be popular based on the review thread:

Description:
This eye-cup magnifies the viewfinder image 1.18 times. When mounted on a K-7, the viewfinder magnification becomes 1.03x instead of the 0.92x without the magnifier.

Fits the *ist D and all K series DSLRs.

Read more at: PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

it does not interfere with the diopter adjustment device on either my K 3 or K 3 II
07-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is probably a shot in the dark (so to speak) but I was wondering if this magnifier would be of any use to me:
My eyesight not being what it used to be and the fact that I have astigmatism in my dominant/shooting eye, I thought that this could help a bit.
I mainly do birding, especially in forested areas where the light isn't always at its best, using a K3 + DA*300/4.
BTW, I do wear glasses.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I use the O-ME53 on both of my K-3's and I find that it is a tremendous help focusing with manual-focus....

I wear glasses also...
Thank you both !
Since I seldom use manual focusing while birding, do you think this could be a deterrent while using AF ?

07-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you both !
Since I seldom use manual focusing while birding, do you think this could be a deterrent while using AF ?
the only detriment is that it becomes more difficult to see the data in the viewfinder... but that is with either AF or MF...
07-06-2018, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the only detriment is that it becomes more difficult to see the data in the viewfinder... but that is with either AF or MF...
Well, I can deal with that.
As long as I can hear the "beep", I'll know it's in focus, plus the K3 has those great top and rear LCD's which I use all the time.
So it seems that I'll give this "gadget" a try !
07-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have one in my K10d for manut focus lenses but don't use one on my K-S1 which is primarily used with autofocus lenses. I honestly didn't think it is helpful in this case but as with all things, you can try and see if it is for you

07-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With glasses as mentioned it is harder to see the edges of the frame and the info data in the viewfinder but you can move your eye position to see everything - just not all at once.
07-07-2018, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I have the magnifier on both crop and full frame bodies. The only drawback is that it somewhat limits your field of view . You need to move your eye position to see the edges. However, I still find it very usefull.

Last edited by PePe; 07-07-2018 at 01:40 AM.
07-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you both !
I've had this on my K3 for quite awhile, and mostly use AF. I really like it, and wouldn't be without it. No deterrent at all, except as another member mentioned, some data across bottom of screen is somewhat difficult to see; however I always use the LCD displays.

I plan on a K3II in the near future, and will put one of these on it immediately!
07-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes. It gives a narrower field-of-view, which makes it harder to get the bird into the viewfinder. However, I too find that it's great for manual focussing.
07-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the magnifier but I have not used it much. As has been mentioned you often lose the view of the edges if you wear glasses. I have not missed it since I gave it it's try out.
07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this magnifier and I wear eyeglasses (progressive lens).

I have tried to use it on several occasions on my K-3 II to help with manual focusing. I am not comfortable with the loss of view at the edges of the viewfinder. In particular, the status information at the bottom of the viewfinder is difficult to see, and requires shifting of my eye position at the eyecup. So, I don't use it.

- Craig
07-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only way to know for you is to try one out but i suspect you will lose your view of too much of the viewfinder. That is you have to look around in the viewfinder to see all sides.
07-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, I do wear glasses.

Are the birds mostly static or in flight? If static I think the loss of peripheral view caused by glasses won't bother you much - you can shift around a bit to see the edges without much fuss and you get used to the idea of the framing. But if BIF you may lose the bird due to the narrower field of view - it will be like using a longer lens than you have on the camera as far as the viewfinder is concerned.