Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Which lens can be fitted to our K mont cameras?

Hi!

I've looking around for a while, and i seen that almost any lens can be fitted to a Canon camera, while almost no lens can be fitted into a Pentax DSLR.
So my question is, i've seen some adapters for Canon FD lenses and some Nikon lenses for K mount cameras, but i seen that the most economic lenses i can found around me are the Canon EF lenses.
Unfortunately, i haven't seen any optical adapter for these lenses, and even knowing i may get some crop, or light losing, i may look into my possibilities, as here is somewhat hard to find Pentax equipment at a good price. Seems like people are as happy as me with their Pentax gear, but i'm aiming for some K5 bodies with accesories, from 350 body only to around 500 with plenty of gear, being ready to give my reliable-as- K-m to my girlfriend as a gift, as her Canon died while changing the ISO setting, so i may reuse that lens, and whatever lens i can find to share between us.

I found the Nikon lens adapter with optical correction at 17 shipped, while the Canon FD adapter is at 23 shipped. Clearly almost as expensive as the 50mm f/2.0 bargain i got for 25, so i have to look carefully about this thing. Where i usually peek for lenses, there are 0 FD lenses, while there are a couple of full auto Nikon lenses where the lack of aperture control is going to drive me mad.

There is such a thing like an adapter with aperture ring?

Enjoy my messy post!

07-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
adapters for non-K-mount lenses to Pentax K-mount DSLRs: new dimensions for LBA - PentaxForums.com

You are not going to find any adapters for electronically controlled lenses for K-mount. The Pentax Adapter Q to mount K-mount lenses on Q-mount has an aperture ring...

Electronic lens adapters are mostly limited to mirrorless systems right now. The Sigma MC-11 adapter for Canon EF to Sony E mount for example.

The non-electronic corrected adapters for K-mount are not really worth the bother. They are short teleconverters and poor quality ones at that. And an EF to K-mount adapter doesn't exist AFAIK...
07-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
adapters for non-K-mount lenses to Pentax K-mount DSLRs: new dimensions for LBA - PentaxForums.com

You are not going to find any adapters for electronically controlled lenses for K-mount. The Pentax Adapter Q to mount K-mount lenses on Q-mount has an aperture ring...

Electronic lens adapters are mostly limited to mirrorless systems right now. The Sigma MC-11 adapter for Canon EF to Sony E mount for example.

The non-electronic corrected adapters for K-mount are not really worth the bother. They are short teleconverters and poor quality ones at that. And an EF to K-mount adapter doesn't exist AFAIK...
So i should stick as much as i can with Pentax own lenses right? I mean, maybe not original, but ultimately these ones made for K Mount.
Looks that M42 is also a good way to go, but price by price, and for convenience too, i may stick with old K lenses.
07-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
So i should stick as much as i can with Pentax own lenses right? I mean, maybe not original, but ultimately these ones made for K Mount.
Looks that M42 is also a good way to go, but price by price, and for convenience too, i may stick with old K lenses.
Indeed. And there are millions of K-mount lenses out there...almost all of which will work without any problems.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

07-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Indeed. And there are millions of K-mount lenses out there...almost all of which will work without any problems.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yeah, i know that the 160-ish available lens that some say is completely wrong, but it was just for the sake of using some other things. As you may or may not know, i use a Nikon grip with laptop batteries stuffed inside
Btw, i'll continue the same strategy as until now, look at webuy.com for lenses (the provide me lenses with 2 year warranty at low price) as 25 for that 50mm or 78 for a genuine 50-200 that came in trade for a Tamron 18-200 which was totally unable to focus properly. It couldn't compete against a heavily infected lens. (The tamron was the left lens with the yellowish tint) so if any of you need some lens, you may look there.
Attached Images

07-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to shoot Canon lenses, get a Canon body. Simple.

If you want a body to adapt to a whole range of lenses, Sony makes most sense.

There is still plenty of choice in the Pentax ecosystem though, and I for one am quite content there.
07-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you want to shoot Canon lenses, get a Canon body. Simple.

If you want a body to adapt to a whole range of lenses, Sony makes most sense.

There is still plenty of choice in the Pentax ecosystem though, and I for one am quite content there.
Yeah, thats good logic. Until you see a Canon die on your hands and another that has came through a way of like 2 years with their "Error 99"
Also a Sony Alpha 380 died on me, their all good (no) stabilizer, seized with only 7000 shots, only could say me "camera error"
Pentax is the only giving me good results! That's why i want to stick with Pentax, but i was just asking if i could recycle other lenses - no offense intended