Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Mike, I'm positive that this is in the design. I've owned more flashes than some people have lenses (not to be a snob but just a statement) and currently have 5 different models. In all the others the head locks are much stiffer and stay where you want them no matter what you add to the front. The AF540 can take a Sto-Fen or one of those lightweight plastic cards but that's it. A Gary Fong or anything similar is just too heavy.

When the flash is attached all day and you've shot 1400 frames, it's a PITA big time. The feature design is great, the engineering design is another story.
Point well made, Peter.

A Sto-Fen is probably as far as I'm going to go diffuser-wise, so I guess I'm getting off lucky.

Mike

09-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Same to my 540... with the Gary Fong on, once I hold my camera the other side, the flash head will swing down... I really wondering if I can do something about it to tighten it..
Vizjerei, I just had an idea.

You know how we add oil to make a joint move more freely?

Perhaps someone here can think of some kind of thickening agent which could be injected or brushed into the pivot joint of the flash head to stiffen it up.

Mike
11-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Metz 58 Autofocus-1 Flash F/ Pentax or the 540..

I am about to purchase a flash for the first time for my K10. After reading through this post I am not sure if the 540 is the way to go. How do these two models stack up against each other? JIMBO
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The only thing that stikes me as strange is you're expecting it to support something it obviously wasn't designed to do. Do Pentax say it will support something that weight?

Nige.

11-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The LightSphere II will do the same thing with the Metz flashes.
11-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Vizjerei, I just had an idea.

You know how we add oil to make a joint move more freely?

Perhaps someone here can think of some kind of thickening agent which could be injected or brushed into the pivot joint of the flash head to stiffen it up.

Mike
I think that is called glue, and I wouldn't do it.

The real issue is one of the intended use.

As I mentioned earlier, I use a better beamer, and that is supported, and the detent lock that keeps the flash parallel to the lens does not let go. But I have noted that the AF500 FTZ (TTL flash) has stiffer detent's but also no lock, and no ability to go below 90 degrees for close objects.
11-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

i'm glad i ran across this thread too.
i read a bunch of bad reviews for the flash on amazon. and i don't think i want to take the chance.

so, i guess my question is - what brand flash can i buy that is compatible? i am still looking for tilt + swivel.
I don't know really anything about flashes, so any - or all - help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

11-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
i'm glad i ran across this thread too.
i read a bunch of bad reviews for the flash on amazon. and i don't think i want to take the chance.

so, i guess my question is - what brand flash can i buy that is compatible? i am still looking for tilt + swivel.
I don't know really anything about flashes, so any - or all - help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
There's really nothing for it but to shill for my recent project:
Pentax P-TTL Hot Shoe Flash Comparison

But I can really save you the trouble: if you're looking for serious build quality and are scared off of the Pentax flashes, you'll want to look at Metz. I don't think either the Sigma or Promaster options are badly built, but they're less solid-feeling than the Metz or Pentax flashes. So, Metz. Buy the 58 AF-1 if you can afford it, and the 48 AF-1 otherwise.
11-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
Has anyone a clue about using Metz58 and 540 together via wireless setup- can 58 be used as a commander for 540?
Best and happy flashing, JR
This was a great question, sorta got lost in the shuffle ... does anyone have an answer to this?

germar
11-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
This was a great question, sorta got lost in the shuffle ... does anyone have an answer to this?
Yes. The Metz 58 AF-1 can be used as a wireless controller with Pentax units as slaves. The Metz 48 AF-1, however, can't.
12-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #26
Syb
Veteran Member

Hi Matt,

I am thinking about a Metz 54MZ-3 Flash. But is that compatible with K10d? Will it work off-camera and support P-TTL? TTL? Auto-mode?

Thanks!
Syb
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Hi Matt,

I am thinking about a Metz 54MZ-3 Flash. But is that compatible with K10d? Will it work off-camera and support P-TTL? TTL? Auto-mode?
I think that it will work, with the SCA3702 module (with M2 firmware). Most of the features will definitely work, but I'm not sure about P-TTL — it's possible the older model can't handle the preflash properly. (As I understand it, Nikon's flash control system uses a relatively demanding preflash sequence which the regular MZ-4 can't handle, so you need the MZ-4i for that — it's possible the MZ-3 has a similar issue with Pentax.)

Metz tech support is really helpful and quick so I'm sure they'll be able to give you a definite answer if no one else here knows.
12-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #28

[QUOTE=spyglass;342879]I agree with you 100%
Pentax product are generally well planned and built.... but their flash units are like crappy toys. I have 3 FGZ 360 & 2 FGZ 540 Pentax flash units. The battery door cover on the 360 is a joke. The microscopic plastic ears tabs fail against the spring tension of the batteries. I have rebuilt 2 of my flash units with a metal ear tab. The 540 is a bit floppy and unstable (and the zoom motor mechanism is under built - probably the same parts used in the 360.... but required to work much harder in the larger flash unit.
And my final question is why does Pentax not build a ring flash and a twin flash. They should also consider designing the flash units to accept the rechargeable camera batteries.

Man that felt good to vent ! [/QUOTE

AGREED on the 360. . .so many times I've lost batteries (or even worse, accidentally thrown them at ppl) with the damn door.
12-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #29

PS metz 58 for 399 with free shipping

Metz MZ58317P Metz 58 AF-1 TTL Flash for Pentax & Samsung - MZ58317PS - Buy.com

interested in flash instead of upgrading my 360 for the swivel head
12-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamgray Quote
PS metz 58 for 399 with free shipping
Yes, that's the typical price — you'll get the same from Amazon or Adorama. B&H is also $400 but doesn't have free shipping currently.