Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #1

Sd card wifi adapter

Hi, I own a Pentax KS1, which I think accepts a flucard to transfer photos through wifi, but they are not very common.

I've seen on internet that there are some cheap SD adapters with wifi, has anyone tried any of these?

For example this one in Aliexpress WIFI Adapter Wireless Memory Card TF Micro SD to SD SDHC SDXC Card Kit for iPhone iPad Android Phone Tablet DC DV SLR Carema-in Computer Cables & Connectors from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I think you can also find them in Amazon

Cheers

07-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For whatever reason most people with dslrs avoid using micro sd in an adapter. I've done it but only when I had no other option. I use a mobiEyeFi card in my k3 that works well enough.
07-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #3

If you only transfer small jpegs, they are ok, if you shoot DNG or PEF RAW files, it'll take ages to transfer across.
07-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by perro_noob Quote
Hi, I own a Pentax KS1, which I think accepts a flucard to transfer photos through wifi, but they are not very common.

I've seen on internet that there are some cheap SD adapters with wifi, has anyone tried any of these?

For example this one in Aliexpress WIFI Adapter Wireless Memory Card TF Micro SD to SD SDHC SDXC Card Kit for iPhone iPad Android Phone Tablet DC DV SLR Carema-in Computer Cables & Connectors from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I think you can also find them in Amazon

Cheers
The Pentax O-FC1 is the only card that will allow you to control the camera remotely, if that's what you're after.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
EZshare

I use one EZshare microSd Adapter

It works reasonably well, with easy pairing and reasonably fast web browser navigation, but are very slow to write/record on the card, even if you put a ultra/extreme microSD on it.

And since now I use it with a K3, wich is a 2 card slot, it works ok with low res jpg's.

If you intend to use in a single card slot camera, I recomend not using a microSD adapter and search for a "normal" wireless SD card, instead, like the TOSHIBA FLASH AIR, as they tend to have a more regular write speed

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 02:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
For whatever reason most people with dslrs avoid using micro sd in an adapter. I've done it but only when I had no other option. I use a mobiEyeFi card in my k3 that works well enough.
I don't like it.

The majority of adapters are much more fragile and prone to fail then regular cards.

And since I take/put the cards constantly from the camera, while working, that is specially problematic. They won't resist the handling, from a photojournalistic perspective.

Last edited by sungibr; 07-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

What about Eyefi? Or do you want :"cheap"?

www.eyefi.com

or Toshiba FlashAir?

https://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/wwsite/flashair.htm

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-12-2018 at 10:37 AM.
07-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax O-FC1 is the only card that will allow you to control the camera remotely, if that's what you're after.
Adam is right!
Why look for something else, when there's a good solution available from Pentax?
Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

07-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Having used the EyeFi and the FluCard - for simple file transfers the FluCard is clunky and the interface stinks. The EyeFi is simpler.
07-13-2018, 02:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Interesting, didn't know about the issues of using an adapter with a micro SD, I've been using my camera with a microSD for almost two years with no problems so far .

The original Pentax flucard is almost 100 pounds here in the UK, which I find quite expensive. The EyeFi sounds like a good alternative, however it has mixed reviews on Amazon.

Thanks for the replies
07-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eyefi cards come in many forms and versions. The mobi eyefi is the one I mean. Pentax/Ricoh makes Kenai software that works with these as the previous company shut down their old cloud service.
11-05-2020, 02:41 AM   #11

Thank you for your interest. I'll have to try.
11-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Makx Quote
Thank you for your interest. I'll have to try.
The mobi eyefi cards don't work for me anymore. I tried using the tools kenai made available but I couldn't get them working again.
11-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised these are still talked about. I tried looking them up, and they seem hard to find, on top of being problematic. Combine that with the loss of storage space, and I doubt I'll ever want one.
11-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I'm surprised these are still talked about. I tried looking them up, and they seem hard to find, on top of being problematic. Combine that with the loss of storage space, and I doubt I'll ever want one.
When it worked I loved it. I used it mainly in my K-3 where dual cards allowed me to put raw files on a large card and low res jpgs on the card to automatically transfer to my phone. It was super easy and very convenient. But... Not anymore.