Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LIM's SAH-BE52N1 52mm metal hood - anyone use one?

I've often thought it would be nice to have a reversible hood for my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2 lens, and came across this hood:

LIM'S Design

It's an interesting design but I'm confused about a few things and was hoping someone has some real-world experience with LIM's hoods. It has a metal mounting ring which requires you to use a filter on the lens because the ring screws into the filter threads and also extends over the outside of the filter ring (if you didn't use a filter, I would guess it just wouldn't fit on some lenses or it would interfere with focusing). I do wonder what the minimum filter ring depth needs to be (some filters are thicker than others). Also they indicate in one of the product photos that the hood is potentially reversible: "Can be used and stored fitting the matching lens both forwards and backwards." However they don't show it reversed in any pictures, and it's unclear to me if the hood is a bayonet mount to the adapter ring or threaded (bayonet would be great!) Also they say "52mm cap can be mounted on outer lens" which is just wrong, I think they both meant to say "outer hood opening" and they meant a size larger than 52mm (probably 58mm if I had to guess, but really they should get those numbers right). Anyway, anyone have any experience with it?

07-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't see the rational for the product. The adapters are specific to a specific model hood and only come in one thread. In other words, this is a two part hood for 52mm that must be used with filter between it and the lens. The hood itself attaches with a set-screw (!?) to an adapter that cannot be used with any other LIM model. I can't see how this product might be reversible unless simply packing it in a pouch facing back with a lens.

I would pass based on design alone. A collapsible rubber hood is a cheaper and more practical space-saver.

Steve
07-18-2018, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

The $10 Sensie Pro hood seems like a simpler alternative if you like a metal hood. No adapter required.

I bought two; a 52mm and 49mm along with two 58mm lens caps for my 50mm and 35mm lenses.
07-26-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
The $10 Sensie Pro hood seems like a simpler alternative if you like a metal hood. No adapter required.

I bought two; a 52mm and 49mm along with two 58mm lens caps for my 50mm and 35mm lenses.
Thanks for mentioning that - I was using a sightly too narrow and long metal hood and cap on the lens already, and while those Sensei Pro hoods look like a good option I ended up going with this SIOTI one for a bit less that comes with a cap (and a little cleaning cloth) for $9:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XK8KR1Z/?tag=pentaxforums-20&

07-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Thanks for mentioning that - I was using a sightly too narrow and long metal hood and cap on the lens already, and while those Sensei Pro hoods look like a good option I ended up going with this SIOTI one for a bit less that comes with a cap (and a little cleaning cloth) for $9:

amazon.com : SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (52mm) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Agreed! Coincidentally, I saw the same on Amazon not two hours ago and bought another 49mm set up for my 50mm SMC Tak. I'd searched Amazon before buying the Sensei hoods, but didn't see these. From the photos and description, they appear to be exactly the same as the Sensei brand.