Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please recommend a tripod for food videography

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all pentaxians, haven't posted for a long time. Hope you guys can help me out here.

Wifey is getting into food videos. I am searching for a tripod setup with a horizontal extension column so that the camera can be mounted directly over the food to allow a top-down video shoot. I have checked the Manfrotto range but just wondering if you guys have any recommendation for something similar?

Thanks!

07-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Once had to do something like that, and the best solution was a copy stand.
07-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am searching for a tripod setup with a horizontal extension column so that the camera can be mounted directly over the food to allow a top-down video shoot. I have checked the Manfrotto range but just wondering if you guys have any recommendation for something similar?
I'd recommend the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB100 with the SBH100 ball head because it can get you all kinds of angles with a lateral arm.

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum-Alloy ALTA PRO 263AB 100

Vanguard offers a variety of legs (carbon fiber, larger, etc) and other head solutions (pistol type, larger ball heads, etc).
07-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
d recommend the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB100 with the SBH100 ball head because it can get you all kinds of angles with a lateral arm.

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum-Alloy ALTA PRO 263AB 100

Vanguard offers a variety of legs (carbon fiber, larger, etc) and other head solutions (pistol type, larger ball heads, etc).
Thanks my friend. I will look into that one.

Wondering if anybody can chip in with their recommendations?

07-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Wifey is getting into food videos. I am searching for a tripod setup with a horizontal extension column so that the camera can be mounted directly over the food to allow a top-down video shoot. I have checked the Manfrotto range but just wondering if you guys have any recommendation for something similar?
I recommend the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 055 Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column. It is smooth functioning, sturdy and reliable. This tripod is also available in aluminum instead of carbon fiber at a lower price. Here it is at B&H with the 502AH Video Head.

Manfrotto 502AH Video Head & MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod Kit

I do not recommend the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod. Noticing its economical price and useful features, I went to my local Fry's Electronic Store to see it. The display model was totally FUBAR. When a tripod is broken just from handling in a retail store, I would not trust it to hold up in the field.

Another option is to remove the head from your existing tripod and replace it with a Manfrotto Super Clamp. Then clamp your monopod into the Super Clamp and attach your tripod head to the end of the monopod. If needed, you can use an ankle weight purchased from a sporting goods store to counter balance your extended camera. This setup is excellent for anyone who has a tripod without an extendable horizontal arm.

Dennis
07-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
I recommend the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 055 Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column.
I do not recommend the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod. Noticing its economical price and useful features, I went to my local Fry's Electronic Store to see it. The display model was totally FUBAR. When a tripod is broken just from handling in a retail store, I would not trust it to hold up in the field.
I agree that the Manfrotto is more industrial and more durable, but my daughter has been using the Vanguard for about a year and loves it. As a photography teacher that loans out dozens of tripods to teenage photography students, I've found no tripod is abuse-proof and the Vanguard is exceptional for the price.
07-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I do a bit of this for art and electronics related stuff.
When I'm using a cellphone or a light weight M43 camera I use a bembo trippod - they're not cheap, and I wouldn't trust mine with a heavy camera.
This is basically the same thing trekker-tripod-kit/

For anything more serious I'd go straight to C-stands with cross rods, magic arms, sandbags and so forth. They're much heavier, more stable, more flexible and cheaper than similarly capable tripods.
This setup LINK is ok, but I would strongly recommend putting a heavy sandbag on the base, and possibly even attaching it to the edge of the table as it's super easy to kick a c-stand when you're moving props, and when they fall they come down hard.

I would personally want to go with two or three c-stands linked with rods, sandbagged, with proper tripod heads for cameras and magic arms for lights, microphones and suchlike. By the way - Don't use a spigot to hold your camera, use a proper tripod head, the spigots can easily damage the tripod mount, they are made for accessories, not for cameras.

The biggest advantage of C-stands is that you can set them up to also hold lights, secondary cameras, microphones, and suchlike.
The big disadvantage is that they tend to being fairly permanent installs - You wouldn't want to set up and take them down too often.

The ultimate is a proper overhead studio lighting rig like this LINK, but if you don't have a spare $10k or so burning a hole in your pocket they're not really worth looking at (I used one frequently when I did my masters degree, I miss it).

07-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another option is to remove the head from your existing tripod and replace it with a Manfrotto Super Clamp. Then clamp your monopod into the Super Clamp and attach your tripod head to the end of the monopod. If needed, you can use an ankle weight purchased from a sporting goods store to counter balance your extended camera. This setup is excellent for anyone who has a tripod without an extendable horizontal arm.
That is a great idea. I don't have a monopod at the moment but I could remove the centre columns of several of my other tripods and am wondering if these kind of clamps can be adapted to clamping the centre columns?

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I would personally want to go with two or three c-stands linked with rods, sandbagged, with proper tripod heads for cameras and magic arms for lights, microphones and suchlike. By the way - Don't use a spigot to hold your camera, use a proper tripod head, the spigots can easily damage the tripod mount, they are made for accessories, not for cameras.
Thanks for that. I found this one on ebay.
Universal Tripod Boom Camera Extension Arm Foldable Studio Macro shooting TK104

Quite similar to the C-stand you are referring to? Any thoughts?
07-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's not a C-stand - here's one on Vanbar, though this strikes me as really expensive - I can get something pretty similar for $250nzd
AVENGER :A2030DKIT 40in C-Stand SET

If you look at the specifications you'll see it's really big and really heavy. The brand doesn't matter so much as they are specifically sold to be big and clunky.
07-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
Forum Member

I don't have a monopod at the moment but I could remove the centre columns of several of my other tripods and am wondering if these kind of clamps can be adapted to clamping the centre columns?
Yes, absolutely. I've done this and it works wonderfully. All you'll need is a Manfrotto Super Clamp and an ankle weight for counter balance and you're good to go.

Dennis

---------- Post added 07-21-18 at 08:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I agree that the Manfrotto is more industrial and more durable, but my daughter has been using the Vanguard for about a year and loves it. As a photography teacher that loans out dozens of tripods to teenage photography students, I've found no tripod is abuse-proof and the Vanguard is exceptional for the price.
Good to know. Thanks for posting.

Dennis
07-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's not a C-stand - here's one on Vanbar, though this strikes me as really expensive - I can get something pretty similar for $250nzd
AVENGER :A2030DKIT 40in C-Stand SET

If you look at the specifications you'll see it's really big and really heavy. The brand doesn't matter so much as they are specifically sold to be big and clunky.
Thanks. That is certainly beyond my budget. What do you think of the ebay one I posted. I understand it is not a C-stand per se but what do you think of its suitability?

Yes, absolutely. I've done this and it works wonderfully. All you'll need is a Manfrotto Super Clamp and an ankle weight for counter balance and you're good to go.

Dennis
Thanks. I am now searching for the super clamp you mentioned. It appears the manfrotto super clamp is to clamp onto a "rod" of some sort? I cant seem to find a version that is intended to go on the tripod on manfrotto website.

Edit: Is this the one you are referring to? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto-035B-Super-Clamp/351943436197?epid=140...itleDesc=0%7C0
07-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

Thanks. I am now searching for the super clamp you mentioned. It appears the manfrotto super clamp is to clamp onto a "rod" of some sort? I cant seem to find a version that is intended to go on the tripod on manfrotto website.

Edit: Is this the one you are referring to? Manfrotto 035B Super Clamp | eBay
Yes, that's it. Sells for about $30.00 USD.

Manfrotto 2909 Super Clamp with 2907 Reversible Short Stud

I'm going to post a photo illustration to provide a better visualization of the set up. Please check back in about an hour.

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 07-21-2018 at 08:47 PM.
07-21-2018, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Nothing is really all that cheap in pro lighting gear. Whatever you do, just keep in mind that the point of the $50 boom is to avoid dropping your $1000 camera in a pot of soup.

The problem with what you linked is that it's only about 30cm long, which won't really get you anywhere - it's not long enough to get the tripod out of the shot, and it's way too short to counterbalance.

If you want to go really budget you'd be better off making a rig from 2x2 wood and plywood and using a 1/4" bolt to hold a tripod head in place.
like so LINK

This guys overhead rig which is literally just clamped plywood - If you don't know who he is, it's sufficient to say he makes good money from film making and has done so for a long time.
Talks about it at about 4:50.
07-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This guys overhead rig which is literally just clamped plywood - If you don't know who he is, it's sufficient to say he makes good money from film making and has done so for a long time.
Talks about it at about 4:50.
Thanks mate for that. That is very informative indeed.
07-22-2018, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Here is a photo that illustrates the tripod with Super Clamp, Monopod and counter balance weight assembly.

As noted previously, a center column from another tripod can be substituted for the monopod, if you wish. The reason I prefer to use the monopod is because it can be extended up to five feet away from the center of the tripod, if needed. Doing this would require a heavier counter balance weight than the one shown in my photo illustration. It is good that the ankle weights are sold in pairs at sporting goods stores.

Below is a photo that shows the stud that is threaded onto the post at the top of the tripod after the head is removed. This stud has a 3/8 inch female thread on one end and a 1/4 inch female thread on the other. The Manfrotto Super Clamp is then attached to the stud.

I failed to previously mention that you will need this stud to complete the assembly. I apologize for my oversight and for creating unnecessary confusion. I have a variety of studs in my grip kit and I have become accustomed to simply grabbing what I need without applying much thought. It's similar to working with an Erector Set or Tinker Toys as a child. Given the right parts and a little ingenuity, almost anything imaginable can be assembled.

Best wishes for a successful and enjoyable project.

Dennis