Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you misread my comments. The internal workings of the monopod you selected earlier use a steel belt inside it - not gas. That's how it adjusts height. It is not a belt you wear or something you hook onto your body.

Also the Stedi Stock II if you can get one has a cone shaped handle and a way to preattach that. Carry your monopod or your utility belt attached pole and insert it into the handle (it doesn't lock in place it just slips on.

07-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think you misread my comments. The internal workings of the monopod you selected earlier use a steel belt inside it - not gas. That's how it adjusts height. It is not a belt you wear or something you hook onto your body.

Also the Stedi Stock II if you can get one has a cone shaped handle and a way to preattach that. Carry your monopod or your utility belt attached pole and insert it into the handle (it doesn't lock in place it just slips on.
Ahh.. my bad, slight coincidence then that the mogopod has a belt attachment made for it, so apparently monopodding from the hip is a thing! I learn something new every day
07-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The mogopod is not just belt system tho, its a full monopod as well, and they have two sizes, a short and medium. 27 inches closed isn't very short agreed, but then its the exact same quoted length as your beloved 3218 lol.
The lightest would be the smallest Mogopod, coming it at 1.3lbs and 20 inches collapsed. Not too shabby.
Ok - just to be crystal clear and be sure I'm not steering you wrong - the Mogopod is this one right? MOGOPOD MogoPod MK III Monopod Kit MGPMKIT B&H Photo Video

On that same page you will find the following paragraph:

"The MogoPod MK III Monopod Kit includes a medium MogoPod MK III monopod, a fluid head, a TPD-2 tripod leg stand, and a utility strap. The MogoPod is a unique monopod that has an internal steel belt drive system which makes it easy to extend from 27" to 62". There is only one twist lock which makes setup very fast. It can also be used as an extension pole by removing the rubber foot to reveal a 1/4"-20 threaded mount for attaching a GoPro or similar camera."

Note they are referencing GoPro's not DSLR's.

Further on the specs page tab you will find this:

"Monopod
Load Capacity 10 lb (4.5 kg)
Maximum Height 62" (157.5 cm)
Folded Length 27" (68.6 cm)
Weight 1.6 lb (727 g)"

the head weighs another 1.1 lbs.

I'm not sure where the 20" value came from or the 1.3lbs - the whole thing does weigh about 1.3kg with the head.

Monopods are a lot heavier than I realized too and those that are able to support a full size FF DSLR aren't small and light.

(Sorry - you got to my other post before I did this one. I was going to delete one. Whoops.... not trying to beat a dead horse.)
07-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@brucebanner
Is this something like what you are interested in?

Dot Line DLC V9 HDSLR Camera Support DL-V9 B&H Photo Video

07-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or this?
07-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok - just to be crystal clear and be sure I'm not steering you wrong - the Mogopod is this one right? MOGOPOD MogoPod MK III Monopod Kit MGPMKIT B&H Photo Video

On that same page you will find the following paragraph:

"The MogoPod MK III Monopod Kit includes a medium MogoPod MK III monopod, a fluid head, a TPD-2 tripod leg stand, and a utility strap. The MogoPod is a unique monopod that has an internal steel belt drive system which makes it easy to extend from 27" to 62". There is only one twist lock which makes setup very fast. It can also be used as an extension pole by removing the rubber foot to reveal a 1/4"-20 threaded mount for attaching a GoPro or similar camera."

Note they are referencing GoPro's not DSLR's.

Further on the specs page tab you will find this:

"Monopod
Load Capacity 10 lb (4.5 kg)
Maximum Height 62" (157.5 cm)
Folded Length 27" (68.6 cm)
Weight 1.6 lb (727 g)"

the head weighs another 1.1 lbs.

I'm not sure where the 20" value came from or the 1.3lbs - the whole thing does weigh about 1.3kg with the head.

Monopods are a lot heavier than I realized too and those that are able to support a full size FF DSLR aren't small and light.

(Sorry - you got to my other post before I did this one. I was going to delete one. Whoops.... not trying to beat a dead horse.)
Yes, it is the Mogopod, but not that exact one, I bailed out of B&H and went straight to the source! MOGOPOD - MoGoPod MK III Monopod - Size S

Actually go to Products and you'll see the Medium one there as well, (as well as other attachments and packages, those prices are way better than B&H's, perhaps a close out EOB sale :'(

Over here, lists the weight as 1.6lbs, not bad (for the Medium) MOGOPOD - MoGoPod MK III Monopod - Size M + TPD-2 Tripod Leg

The head will weigh that much, I have one of those panning heads, more meant for video than us still photographers, and they are heavy! So yeah you'll have to attach yer own ball head which will add some more weight depending on what you go for (the SLIK heads I own weigh very little).

@brucebanner
Is this something like what you are interested in?

Dot Line DLC V9 HDSLR Camera Support DL-V9 B&H Photo Video
Hehe, overkill me thinks.

Yeah kinda, I actually saw this a few weeks ago and kept the page tab in my browser as I was thinking of grabbing it;

Pro Portable Bag Waist Pouch Case Set with Belt For DSLR Camera Monopod Tripod 713095323557 | eBay

It looks like the advantage of my one over the other one you listed is this one can also double up as a holder for a tripod or monopod.

I'll have a play though over the weekend, see if I can come up with a simple mechanism from salvaging stuff I have lying around already. Like I said before, my real focus is the attachment aspect. I want to monopod up but not necessarily be stuck with it all the time, I want an ultra quick release system for it which is gonna require some homework on my part.
The more I think about things the more I am motivated to go down the 'belt monopod' solution rather than a monopod that can be quickly adjust. With a belt system I think you could almost do away with any kind of adjusting, or perhaps like the video you linked me adjust just one flip lock (compared to two-three which adds on time).
07-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@brucebanner - ah! Good info. By the way in addition to being "on sale" be aware of this in their fine print:

"International orders are shipped from China. Import duties, taxes and other charges might be applied and they are NOT included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. "

07-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@brucebanner - ah! Good info. By the way in addition to being "on sale" be aware of this in their fine print:

"International orders are shipped from China. Import duties, taxes and other charges might be applied and they are NOT included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. "
Yeah I saw that too, a typical kinda 'China eBay' fine print blurb. I think it's fairly standard tho.
Australia just only this month brought in the whole new customs tax thing.
When I left UK to come live in Australia (2006), the UK had just moved from a long time established 17.5% VAT up to 20%, on products coming into the country valued more than 30quid. I don't know what the UK VAT rate now is, but all this time in Australia there was no Tax on any good under $1k. That's now changed, but I think its still a 10%. A recent B&H order of $150AUD came through fine without additional fees, we must still be adopting into the new system.
07-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok so I thought I'd provide some feedback here after playing around on Friday shortly with a monopod of sorts anchored to my belt.
First up, what equipment I used (already had lying around);

1) I wear a Cosyspeed Camslinger, this one in fact I think; COSYSPEED Camslinger 160 Mirrorless Camera Holder CS0010 B&H

2) Attached to that I looped through this fella I own; CAME-TV Q148 Mini Tripod Center Column Extender Q148 B&H Photo

3) Attached to the came-tv was a small lightweight SLIK SBH-100, with the QR plate on the camera (K-1); Slik SBH-100 DQ Compact Ballhead 100 with Quick Release 618-324

If you look at one of the images for that centre column selfie stick like thing, you'll see it has a loop thing, I fed that through the Camslinger before wearing it.

I had two goes working with this set up, the second session yesterday was at a public speaking event i cover every couple of months, I usually monopod for it anyway, but typically from the floor and not waist.

On the first run (a small bushwalk) I discovered the loop on the strap and pivoting from that point meant that the tripod sat really quite far down, like it was upper thigh area that it 'stopped down to/took the strain' (rather than 'the waist'), this actually meant I sometimes needed to extend the came-tv to it's maximum to get the height I wanted for a comfortable shot at eye level, but there was other times I wanted to take a shot with the camera lower down, so I did find myself adjusting the the monopod a fair bit, adjusting all 3 flip locks (ZZzz...). If I left the came-tv rod fully extended, or even partially it was annoying to walk with, too long an object to have 'bashing' at your side, on something like a bush walk you want it to be able to be extended quickly and folded quickly, that's the conclusion I came to. So the small Mogopod may be excellent for this purpose, it looks like it would change lengths at ease quickly, and although lacking in height for the use from the floor, it is probably more than adequate if pivoting from the hip. Other monopods are also probably sufficient, they just need to be better than what I used (1-2 flip locks perhaps).

I got these two shots;

Taken around chest height area, it really helped to be in LV mode and see the DoF change, I didn't need to crouch down or hold an awkward half squat position which is what I would have had to do. Exif on the link if you click.

And nailing f1.8 perfectly with LV and the monopod assisting in stabilisation.

The second outing yesterday at a public speaking event was much better, I had a small waist pouch that I emptied content, unzipped and pivoted from that point rather than the loop strap of the belt/monopod, this was much better and needed less flip lock adjustments for height. The event itself meant I just had the monopod out for the whole time, I felt it was easier to move around the crowds in the room as well, rather than a full length monopod that I might accidentally whack a person with as I moved around the room to different positions. I also feel that it somehow lessoned the back strain, felt more natural. This kind of event I wasn't adjusting too much, so for the 30+minutes or so there wasn't the same kinda dynamic as a bush walk.
I'll update and post some pictures of that event once I have PP them.

Overall I think this will be the direction I will work towards, pivoting from the hip, it does see a lot better than the floor. Oh and one last thing, I changed the head on yesterdays shoot to something different than the SLIK, I used my Joby Gorilla Head; Joby Ball Head for Gorillapod SLR-Zoom JB00131 B&H Photo Video

This was a far more ideal head, quicker to click in and release than any other QR system I know, it is also very basic, one knob to adjust and get a better 'tightness' on the ballhead for the job, it is also a very light ball head system. I never felt this was a particularly good head for using on a tripod (you frame things up, tighten to the max, but the camera pans down slightly after the tightening), but for this purpose it's ideal.
08-06-2018, 02:08 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This monopod caught my eye today; MeFOTO WalkAbout Air Aluminum Monopod (Orange) WAAIRORG B&H

08-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reviews are quite variable. The lock mechanism seems to be loved or hated or at least distrusted. For $20 it may be worth the risk. I may have to get one now... dang.
08-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The reviews are quite variable. The lock mechanism seems to be loved or hated or at least distrusted. For $20 it may be worth the risk. I may have to get one now... dang.
Do it! And let us know

It's not $20 for me, not with shipping to oz, otherwise I'd try and give it a go
08-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GAS... placed the order. 7 business days shipping. I'll let you know when I find out what I think.
08-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
GAS... placed the order. 7 business days shipping. I'll let you know when I find out what I think.
Hehe...

Yeah mixed reviews indeed. Perhaps part of their mistake is to market it as a 'walking stick' as well, I mean I dunno how sturdy or durable it is for that kinda thing. For my purposes I would want it purely to pivot from waist, and hope that the single twist system works well that you don't need to fully extend it etc, or that not a huge amount of twisting is involved in the extending>locking>unlocking etc.

It's always hard to tell how something might be like this from pics or some text reviews, any videos and they kinda seem to be sale videos, not really going into enough depth. All the shots I saw of it would have the extending and folding away without a camera mounted, once fully extended then the camera is mounted. That's not how I'd typically be using it. My use would be more like the monopod is already connected, or is dangling from my waist belt (somehow), and then I want to extend it slightly but not fully at all, then mount the camera (via a Joby Ballhead quick release system, which I bought this last week and am really happy with!).

So yeah, once it arrives be prepared to be interrogated!

I also noted the black one is still $39! Which colour did you opt for to get the $20 saving?
08-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hehe...

Yeah mixed reviews indeed. Perhaps part of their mistake is to market it as a 'walking stick' as well, I mean I dunno how sturdy or durable it is for that kinda thing. For my purposes I would want it purely to pivot from waist, and hope that the single twist system works well that you don't need to fully extend it etc, or that not a huge amount of twisting is involved in the extending>locking>unlocking etc.

It's always hard to tell how something might be like this from pics or some text reviews, any videos and they kinda seem to be sale videos, not really going into enough depth. All the shots I saw of it would have the extending and folding away without a camera mounted, once fully extended then the camera is mounted. That's not how I'd typically be using it. My use would be more like the monopod is already connected, or is dangling from my waist belt (somehow), and then I want to extend it slightly but not fully at all, then mount the camera (via a Joby Ballhead quick release system, which I bought this last week and am really happy with!).

So yeah, once it arrives be prepared to be interrogated!

I also noted the black one is still $39! Which colour did you opt for to get the $20 saving?
Orange. I tend to buy cell phone cases in bright colors for the same reason. If I set it down I want it to yell at me - HEY THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE!