Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
@unclevanya, so how's the new monopod going, care to share some thoughts?
I'm toying with writing it up as an article. I can say this. The locking mechanism is both more and less than expected. I know that is a tease. I am still a ways from having explored it enough and I haven't done side by side comparison shots to see if the stability is the same as the heavier duty Bogen/Manfrotto pod.

08-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm toying with writing it up as an article. I can say this. The locking mechanism is both more and less than expected. I know that is a tease. I am still a ways from having explored it enough and I haven't done side by side comparison shots to see if the stability is the same as the heavier duty Bogen/Manfrotto pod.
Such a tease! Nah, take your time, I'd rather a detailed review anyway
08-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Such a tease! Nah, take your time, I'd rather a detailed review anyway
While we are talking about this tell me how you would try to test stability. On the one hand - SR on makes sense but so does SR off. I always have it off on a tripod but on a monopod I typically leave it on. I'm struggling to figure out how to make the test reliable and not just a function of my own skill and fatigue - tripods are easy - set them up - take the shot. WIth a monopod you are part of the equation.
08-28-2018, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
While we are talking about this tell me how you would try to test stability. On the one hand - SR on makes sense but so does SR off. I always have it off on a tripod but on a monopod I typically leave it on. I'm struggling to figure out how to make the test reliable and not just a function of my own skill and fatigue - tripods are easy - set them up - take the shot. WIth a monopod you are part of the equation.
Good point.

For me I always have it on, possibly even more important to have SR on when monopodding than in hand! Lemme explain my (most likely) flawed thinking approach...

With handheld shooting I can sometimes have very high shutter speeds, 1/1000 etc (when using something like a 50mm or 85mm), from what I read and discussed elsewhere, was SR really necessary at these very high shutter speeds? Well.. that topic went off with a degree of controversy, some saying to take SR off as much as possible when handheld shooting, only apply it at the lower shutter speeds because (apparently tho never proven), SR on can affect autofocus, the speed of which it nails the target and accuracy... Yeah I dunno about that, but the idea that SR assists with the lower shutter speeds for sure is concrete.

So when I get my monopod out, I'm doing it so that I can lower my shutter speeds to crazy lengths so that I might keep that ISO down. For example, I'm using a 85/1.4, I'm in a dark place in a forest, I want to capture that very still lizard or plant/flower, and my DoF is quite thin, so I also want that assistance to stop me physically swaying too much and missing focus (if using MF glass for example). If handheld it might mean I need to use 1/100, 1/80 or 1/60, but now I can go down to 1/8 or 1/10 and keep that ISO nice and low. So for me, getting down to those shutter speeds and still have some movement going on, it would be crazy to not have SR on.

Monopods help in a variety of different ways, taking the weight and strain off the user, lessoning fatigue, allowing for lower shutter speeds etc, but it's still not quite fixed like a tripod, so I leave it on.

08-29-2018, 12:09 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me I always have it on, possibly even more important to have SR on when monopodding than in hand! Lemme explain my (most likely) flawed thinking approach...
With handheld shooting I can sometimes have very high shutter speeds, 1/1000 etc (when using something like a 50mm or 85mm), from what I read and discussed elsewhere, was SR really necessary at these very high shutter speeds? Well.. that topic went off with a degree of controversy, some saying to take SR off as much as possible when handheld shooting, only apply it at the lower shutter speeds because (apparently tho never proven), SR on can affect autofocus, the speed of which it nails the target and accuracy... Yeah I dunno about that, but the idea that SR assists with the lower shutter speeds for sure is concrete.
So when I get my monopod out, I'm doing it so that I can lower my shutter speeds to crazy lengths so that I might keep that ISO down. For example, I'm using a 85/1.4, I'm in a dark place in a forest, I want to capture that very still lizard or plant/flower, and my DoF is quite thin, so I also want that assistance to stop me physically swaying too much and missing focus (if using MF glass for example). If handheld it might mean I need to use 1/100, 1/80 or 1/60, but now I can go down to 1/8 or 1/10 and keep that ISO nice and low. So for me, getting down to those shutter speeds and still have some movement going on, it would be crazy to not have SR on.
Monopods help in a variety of different ways, taking the weight and strain off the user, lessoning fatigue, allowing for lower shutter speeds etc, but it's still not quite fixed like a tripod, so I leave it on.
Me too.
11-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They call this a tripod but really this is a jazzed up monopod with a tripod foot and cable system.

Looks fast however...

Lumapod - The World's Fastest Tripod | Indiegogo
11-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They call this a tripod but really this is a jazzed up monopod with a tripod foot and cable system.

Looks fast however...

Lumapod - The World's Fastest Tripod | Indiegogo
Yeah don't like the look of that so much, maybe it's good, I dunno, the video was a little uninspiring.

Still waiting on your review!

11-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah don't like the look of that so much, maybe it's good, I dunno, the video was a little uninspiring.

Still waiting on your review!
I'm like a fine wine... worth waiting for. LOL. Seriously I'm stalled. I had a couple of weeks recently where my shoulder just started killing me. I have had problems before - in fact surgery on the opposite shoulder and weeks of PT on this one before as well. So I've not been taking much in the way of images and nothing that needed a monopod. I will get back to it. Spoiler alert - I like it. I am surprised but it seems useful despite the odd design and the light materials. I am open to ideas about how to test the efficacy of a monopod for more than just helping tired arms. I'm not sure how to test for any benefits to stability.