Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fancy Monopods?

I don't really have a very good or dedicated monopod, I do own just a semi decent tripod (Promaster) and one of their legs screws off and can be used as a MP. I have however used it heaps of times, I put the Arcaswiss plate ball head on the top of it, tighten it to a point so that it provides some resistance but also some flexibility, and I use it often with LV at speaking events in poor light, so that I can nail that focus a little better with magnification. I like to use MF lenses, and I have a poor back, so any kind of gadget that can help me lower the shutter speed, take some weight off the K-1 is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, I am however disheartened by the very two basic adjustments of MPing, namely twist longs or clip locks, neither are very versatile for quick adjusting.

I was wondering if any special kinda monopods exist, perhaps spring loaded so that they can fold down super quick and also extend fast, but not stupidly silly damgerous fast, just something that can help you get the right height adjustments quickly for the shots?

Failing that, I'm just wanting to hear from any other monopod fans and what they've used, what they replaced with, what they're happy with etc.

TIA!

Bruce

EDIT: Just found this; https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387806-REG/Manfrotto_685B_685B_NeoTec...od_Deluxe.html

That looks kinda what I am getting at, something that can go up and down quickly from playing around with triggers and locks etc.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-23-2018 at 06:20 AM.
07-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My dad has a manfrotto that has a sqeeze grip handle (hard to describe) that releases the lower leg section to allow it to slide down and lengthen or slide in and shorten using gravity. The main body still had to be adjusted some with a twist lock to get it right for my height (5' 11"), but the overall effect is helpful since you can make adjustments of 1.5' our more without taking your eye off the scene.
07-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My dad has a manfrotto that has a sqeeze grip handle (hard to describe) that releases the lower leg section to allow it to slide down and lengthen or slide in and shorten using gravity. The main body still had to be adjusted some with a twist lock to get it right for my height (5' 11"), but the overall effect is helpful since you can make adjustments of 1.5' our more without taking your eye off the scene.
Must be that thing I linked above. They seem to be the only company that do this kinda release.
07-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just checked, his model is no longer made but this newer model appears to be in the same design space: Manfrotto Neotec Monopod W/Safety Lock : Rocking good time.

07-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just checked, his model is no longer made but this newer model appears to be in the same design space: Manfrotto Neotec Monopod W/Safety Lock : Rocking good time.
I like the idea! I don't like the price or weight...

I guess you really have to decide how much very quick adjustments are important to you at the expense of weight...

My problem is I don't really have a choice of large camera stores with monopods galore to try different ones out. I bet there are some that can adjust super swiftly, and others not so well. I find twist locks a tad infuriating, flip locks seem quicker at least in my hands.
07-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look for the older discontinued models without a safety lock. They are cheaper. 334b and 3245 are two of the older models.
07-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Like all photo equipment, it depends on personal preference.

What I use and like is a MeFoto WalkAbout Aluminum monopod. It is a discontinued model, But Amazon still has a few and Adorama has a used one without the compass head. I never used the compass head myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-WalkAbout-Aluminum-Monopod-Walking/dp/B00DRA4...ntaxforums-20&
MeFOTO WalkAbout Monopod/ Orange / SKU1007110
I use a Oben VH-R2 Tilt head on it.

Oben VH-R2 Tilt Head for Monopods VH-R2 B&H Photo Video
Which I hardly ever use the tilt. I just swing the monopod. I find I can wedge the monopod against a fence, stairs, tree, wall or what ever is handy and take quite long exposures. About two or three seconds.

07-23-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for those who may not know

forum members have posted their reviews of many things here at the forums

for example:

monopods

Monopods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

perhaps looking there might be of help ?
07-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Look for the older discontinued models without a safety lock. They are cheaper. 334b and 3245 are two of the older models.
apparently one member did not have a good experience with the 334B

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/manfrotto-334b-automatic-monopod.html
07-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
apparently one member did not have a good experience with the 334B

Manfrotto 334B automatic monopod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Good catch. I (and my dad) haven't ever gotten the one he has wet. I don't know yet which one he has (no answer to my text yet...).

It is older and styled like one of the older versions.
07-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dad confirms that his monopod is a 3245 which also has the model 3348/GK18. I have never had problems with the pod collapsing on me but I have had problems getting it to be as smooth releasing and opening as I would like but Dad has had better results.
07-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Thankfully good ol' Australia is mostly a dry place, so getting rusty monopods is less likely an issue or concern. But it doesn't bode well for an expensive gizmo to be so easily thwarted :/
I'm more put off by the price tag and weight than the rusting issue tbh. I subscribe to the idea that a monopod should be light, taking weight off the user, not adding to it.

I'm kinda surprised there is only one monopod like this tho, I woulda though a quick adjusting monopod would be in high demand, but like I say perhaps some of the more better twist or flip locks are quicker and easier to adjust.

When I use my own Monopod I use a arca swiss type ballhead on top, and I adjust the tightness to a place that doesn't make the camera loose and floppy, but neither rigid and immovable, a nice happy medium. If the legs could also have a level of tightness that provided the right amount of resistance, enough that I could push down with a bit of gentle force to change the height lower then that might work, tbh I haven't really tried that with my current monopod.
I think I do like the idea of a little foot bit on the bottom that you could place your foot on and loosen the leg and pull to extend further up.

EDIT: Ah! There are more of this kinda MP, don't like that price tag tho! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1387415-REG/steadicam_steadicam_air_25_monopod.html

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-24-2018 at 07:27 PM.
07-24-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Like all photo equipment, it depends on personal preference.

What I use and like is a MeFoto WalkAbout Aluminum monopod. It is a discontinued model, But Amazon still has a few and Adorama has a used one without the compass head. I never used the compass head myself.
That is what I use with my Q-7. I like the walking-stick aspect, and then it is available to help me stabilize my camera - I don't use it as a tripod replacement, just to gain stability with a long lens.
07-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That manfrotto is very light compared to the model I carry. Lol. I'd look at a carbon tripod with removable leg and flip locks. Maybe the double duty device will be worth it to you.
07-25-2018, 05:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I was wondering if any special kinda monopods exist, perhaps spring loaded so that they can fold down super quick
That would be clever! Never seen it.

extend fast
THAT exists. Any monopod or tripod with twist locks will do that.

Failing that, I'm just wanting to hear from any other monopod fans and what they've used, what they replaced with, what they're happy with etc.
I've used a few cheap ones, not have a good one. What I'd look for:

carbon : you want it light, and carbon really does make a difference.
large diameter : I had one with tiny lower sections and it kept bending, I was worried about its strength.
Good height, but not too much. Too long means heavier, too short means not easy to use downhill.

That's about it. There isn't much to a monopod after all, it's a rod. I use a Sirui model, and love it (just like I love their travel tripod). It's a great product (will have to find the model number if useful, I don't know it by heart). I keep a light Sirui C10X tripod head on it at all times, so I can attach a camera easily.