Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 05:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I was wondering if any special kinda monopods exist, perhaps spring loaded so that they can fold down super quick
That would be clever! Never seen it.

extend fast
THAT exists. Any monopod or tripod with twist locks will do that.

Failing that, I'm just wanting to hear from any other monopod fans and what they've used, what they replaced with, what they're happy with etc.
I've used a few cheap ones, not have a good one. What I'd look for:

carbon : you want it light, and carbon really does make a difference.
large diameter : I had one with tiny lower sections and it kept bending, I was worried about its strength.
Good height, but not too much. Too long means heavier, too short means not easy to use downhill.

That's about it. There isn't much to a monopod after all, it's a rod. I use a Sirui model, and love it (just like I love their travel tripod). It's a great product (will have to find the model number if useful, I don't know it by heart). I keep a light Sirui C10X tripod head on it at all times, so I can attach a camera easily.

07-25-2018, 05:21 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
. . . I use a Sirui model, and love it (just like I love their travel tripod). It's a great product (will have to find the model number if useful, I don't know it by heart). I keep a light Sirui C10X tripod head on it at all times, so I can attach a camera easily.
if you haven't done so already

please post a review of the monopod and tripod head to the forum

Tripods and Rigging - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

if they are already listed, add your review to the listing

if they aren't there yet, list them please

the more " user reviews " we can accumulate on various items the better

IMHO, YMMV
07-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A long long time ago I had a Gitzo that folded rather than extended as part of the mechanism. That made it faster but it was a heavy beast. I can't find a picture right now.
07-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Found a similar one: Gitzo Pod G558 5-Section Folding Monopod with Shoulder Brace. Vintage and rare. | eBay

07-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if you haven't done so already

please post a review of the monopod and tripod head to the forum
You know what, I thought I did, but they're not listed. I certainly posted on the forum about the tripod, will do shortly.
07-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the one I use the most. It is not small, but it is lighter than it looks. It is beefy, and the levers are fast to deploy and lock and adjust. I have used it with a ball head but I prefer to avoid adding a head to monopods. I have not yet tried an XY head made for monopods.

Manfrotto 3218 Black Anodized Professional Monopod - SKU#1018844
07-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My version is the older BOGEN just post merger. It does NOT have the spring loaded 3/8 - it included a 1/4 to 3/8 step up adapter.

07-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I have just added the item and put my review in for it. Manfrotto / Bogen 3218 / 134B / FK24 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That manfrotto is very light compared to the model I carry. Lol. I'd look at a carbon tripod with removable leg and flip locks. Maybe the double duty device will be worth it to you.
Found one more that seems to be a trigger/gas system or something;

MOGOPOD MogoPod MK III Monopod Kit MGPMKIT B&H Photo Video

So that makes 3 brands in total that I have found on B&H that do something different to adjust height than twist locks or flip locks.

The other two brands here below;

Steadicam AIR 25 Monopod with Davis & Sanford V9 Fluid B&H

Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Pro Photo Monopod with Tilt Head B&H Photo

I'll need to look into each of these brands carefully, specifically paying attention to the 'weight' (not load), as most of these seem to be priced with a special panning head, and the overall weight of the monopod may take into account the head (which I won't be needing), because 3+lbs seems awfully heavy for just the monopod, that has to be the head contributing to that weight. I have a velbon head and those things are very heavy indeed!

How I might see me using a monopod like this in real life situations would be this;

I'm doing an event, such as a wedding and I'm using my MF Samyang 85/1.4. I'm taking some 'safe shots' at f2.8 etc, but now I really wanna push for a shot at f1.4-1.6. The DoF is extremely narrow, I need a delicate touch, and LV screen with magnification will help. Problem is using that mode can strain my back, especially if flash is involved (on camera), so then I would like to reach to my belt, grab the monopod quickly, quickly attach it to the camera, and push a button so that the monopod extends quickly to the height I want, if I am too high up, press a button and come down lower with ease, now start taking the shots etc.

So I don't think it's a device I'd use much all the time, but rather one that comes out for those really special shots that are more 'staged'. I just can't see the traditional monopod being as quick as this, and paying a bit more might be worth it.
For my budget however the Steadicam range is out of my range, $599 etc is just way too much. So that leaves the Mogopod and Manfrotto as serious contenders.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That would be clever! Never seen it.

THAT exists. Any monopod or tripod with twist locks will do that.

I've used a few cheap ones, not have a good one. What I'd look for:

carbon : you want it light, and carbon really does make a difference.
large diameter : I had one with tiny lower sections and it kept bending, I was worried about its strength.
Good height, but not too much. Too long means heavier, too short means not easy to use downhill.

That's about it. There isn't much to a monopod after all, it's a rod. I use a Sirui model, and love it (just like I love their travel tripod). It's a great product (will have to find the model number if useful, I don't know it by heart). I keep a light Sirui C10X tripod head on it at all times, so I can attach a camera easily.
Read above, I link you to three that can do it.
07-25-2018, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

off the wall suggestion:

take a look at a stedi stock

Rifle Style Mount StediStock II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first one you listed is a steel belt system:

QuoteQuote:
he MogoPod is a unique monopod that has an internal steel belt drive system which makes it easy to extend from 27" to 62". There is only one twist lock which makes setup very fast.
The minimum length of 27" isn't very short.

The fact is that it still has one twist lock. The one I mentioned owning 3218 only weighs 1.7 lbs (1 lb 10.8 oz on my scale) and is 25.5" long collapsed - it has 2 locks that are fast to open and close. It goes to 64 inches without a head attached and I usually allow gravity to open it - so you flip the two locks - the leg extends fully - you flip them closed - it takes no time at all unless you want a finer tuned length - then you close one and use the other to adjust.

I'm going to revise my review - apparently 1.7lbs is NOT heavy. I was surprised that these others are so heavy and large. This unit inspires confidence also. It is BEEFY.
07-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the links to the manufacturers seem to have died. Time to grab one from Amazon or B&H before they are gone.
07-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

All the links to the manufacturers seem to have died. Time to grab one from Amazon or B&H before they are gone.
I hope the manufacturer is still ongoing

when I talked to them last year I was told it was a company started by military veterans
07-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I hope the manufacturer is still ongoing

when I talked to them last year I was told it was a company started by military veterans
I do also. But B&H shows discontinued/out of stock. Web links are dead. And the only copies I can find on Amazon are from a single 3rd party company that may have stock for a limited time.
07-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
get Out

The first one you listed is a steel belt system:

The minimum length of 27" isn't very short.

The fact is that it still has one twist lock. The one I mentioned owning 3218 only weighs 1.7 lbs (1 lb 10.8 oz on my scale) and is 25.5" long collapsed - it has 2 locks that are fast to open and close. It goes to 64 inches without a head attached and I usually allow gravity to open it - so you flip the two locks - the leg extends fully - you flip them closed - it takes no time at all unless you want a finer tuned length - then you close one and use the other to adjust.

I'm going to revise my review - apparently 1.7lbs is NOT heavy. I was surprised that these others are so heavy and large. This unit inspires confidence also. It is BEEFY.
Yup, some good feed back here.

The mogopod is not just belt system tho, its a full monopod as well, and they have two sizes, a short and medium. 27 inches closed isn't very short agreed, but then its the exact same quoted length as your beloved 3218 lol.

The belt system has actually given me food for thought. I once was out shooting in a private garden with the K-1, I had my belt pouch at my waist (with other primes inside), and I dunno why or how I managed it but I put on my monopod and I think it actually got accidentally stuck in my belt (at its shortest length), but when it happened at the time I went with it, I thought "hmm this isn't so bad actually, its providing quite a bit of support" and was able to rumble off quite a few decent shots.

So now I am really rethinking everything, is it a quick adjusting monopod I want or a belt system monopod?

FYI, I still feel 1.7lbs is quite a lot for a monopod. The full tripod I take out with me on bush walks is also 1.7lbs, considering its ferrying another two legs I think we should demand more from our single legged friends. However these quick adjusting monopods I have been linking are heavy indeed! The lightest would be the smallest Mogopod, coming it at 1.3lbs and 20 inches collapsed. Not too shabby.

But really, in all of this, if I am going the route of a belt system, then possibly a single pole, perhaps 1 flip lock would suffice. What matters more is the speed of which you can connect and disconnect the camera from the pod I think.

My imaginary scenario would be this;

I'm buswalking and I come across a a nice bearded dragon lizard on a rock. The lighting is poor, its well shaded but the beastie is very still, playing that 'you can't see me' game if I stay still. I have my camera ready, I want to shoot it at around f3.2-5.6 to capture all of its beauty, but I know by doing so I'm entering ISO's of 1600-3200, and I'd really like to bring that shutter speed as far down as possible and nail a shot with a nice low 100-200 ISO.
I am wearing my utility belt so I reach down to my thigh area and lift the anchored monopod that sways in that area when normally walking about. I pivot it up (so that the head of where it attaches to the camera would be near my knee level normally, and bring it up towards my chest, and now I quickly and swiftly connect the camera to the monopod via some kind of ultra quick release system (possibly even magnetic). I don't even need the camera ultra secure on the pod (like a handsfree tripod, there is no letting go here), just enough for it to take the weight, I can now use LV, magnification and lower shutter speeds and shoot that scaly beastie in all it's glory

This for me makes a lot of sense, than considering a full on monopod. The belt system makes sense for me as I always wear one, whether a proper event (houses flashes and flash modifiers) or a bushwalk, they're just more comfortable to wear. I have just never seriously thought about belt monopod solution till now after seeing that Mogopod vid. Question now is do I move towards their own system, or try and invent my own? God knows I have extender poles and what nots lying around, it might be feasible to craft something that does that task for me from salvaging what I have lying around. You wouldn't even need to play around with extending the height that much, set it and forget it, let it dangle down after the shot is taken etc.

For me I am now more interested in coming up with a neat idea for an ultra quick attachment, not something slow and cumbersome like arca swiss knobs etc.
Having recently bought the Magmod system my love for magnets has been renewed