Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@brucebanner I'm still planning that but also sell waiting for it to arrive... 7 business days is a long long time in some ways.

08-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
@brucebanner I'm still planning that but also sell waiting for it to arrive... 7 business days is a long long time in some ways.
Yeah no probs, no hurry here
08-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@brucebanner

Steadify, a tripod/monopod substitute (on Kickstarter) - PentaxForums.com

This may be your holy grail.

Also the mefoto monopod arrived.
08-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@brucebanner

Steadify, a tripod/monopod substitute (on Kickstarter) - PentaxForums.com

This may be your holy grail.

Also the mefoto monopod arrived.
Yay (to yer monopod arrival)! And kinda 'yay' to the kickstarter thing, tho I won't be using/buying one;

1) I have a belt, I can't wear additional belts on top of it
2) The premise mainly seems to be with the idea of not docking onto the camera itself but lenses, it's not gonna work well with us Pentaxians then is it with our ultra compact range of lenses :D :lol:
3) Really what's happening here can be replicated easily enough with anyone wearing a belt and an empty pouch, and I think I prefer the Joby Ballhead system for docking to the camera and not supporting the lens (that thing looks like it would get in the way of the focus ring!).
4) Might be awkward to walk with one on, or it might be be more comfortable than my current set up of having a shortish monopod dangling off my person!

Still, nice to see some innovation attempts.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 08-13-2018 at 03:30 PM.
08-13-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yay (to yer monopod arrival)! And kinda 'yay' to the kickstarter thing, tho I won't be using/buying one;

1) I have a belt, I can't wear additional belts on top of it
2) The premise mainly seems to be with the idea of not docking onto the camera itself but lenses, it's not gonna work well with us Pentaxians then is it with our ultra compact range of lenses
3) Really what's happening here can be replicated easily enough with anyone wearing a belt and an empty pouch, and I think I prefer the Joby Ballhead system for docking to the camera and not supporting the lens (that thing looks like it would get in the way of the focus ring!).
4) Might be awkward to walk with one on, or it might be be more comfortable than my current set up of having a shortish monopod dangling off my person!

Still, nice to see some innovation attempts.
The number 2 objection is moot. They support placing a ball head on the device. They even sell one. The stock V shaped option is however very quick and useful for longer lens support when you don't want to use a ballhead.
08-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The number 2 objection is moot. They support placing a ball head on the device. They even sell one. The stock V shaped option is however very quick and useful for longer lens support when you don't want to use a ballhead.
True, I did see that, but it's V thing I still think has limited use, gotta be the right lens, doesn't get in the way of the focus ring etc. But still, I'll erase that comment as you get extra points for finding this thingy!
08-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True, I did see that, but it's V thing I still think has limited use, gotta be the right lens, doesn't get in the way of the focus ring etc. But still, I'll erase that comment as you get extra points for finding this thingy!
Lol. No need.

08-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an old Manfrotto 680B monopod, I don't think that model no is available still, but it will no doubt have a replacement. This old girl has been immersed in sea water, snow, came out of Antelope Canyon covered in an red, gritty paste after we got caught in a shower in there (cameras and us also covered in red paste), that was 7 years ago and can still find traces of that stuff, has travelled a lot in all sorts of conditions, rattled around in the back of a ute in 40+c, been used as a walking pole, been coated in mud at motox events and carried around cities.

That's a long winded of saying this thing has had everything thrown at it and is in the bag again for our upcoming trip....its a bit like a Hi Lux....unbreakable.

The one thing I have done differently to most with this monopod is to use a Manfrotto 222 joystick head on it, again, no longer available, but there are options out there that I will get to. The joystick / pistol grip style of head gives you great versatility in any situation...and I mean ANY situation, I swear by it, my old 222 gave up the ghost recently but I was able to source a near new one from Gumtree at a fraction of new price.

Options to look at would be a Vanguard G?100Head, (DCExpert), a friend has one and I was looking at it recently and it would be a good option to the 222, do not know about their monopods but like their other stuff. Slik have a monopod / pistol grip option, again check out DCExpert, my daughter has a Slik and likes it, it looks well made.

PS: Originally purchased in 2002 (Monopod & 222 head)

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 08-14-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: See PS
08-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I have an old Manfrotto 680B monopod, I don't think that model no is available still, but it will no doubt have a replacement. This old girl has been immersed in sea water, snow, came out of Antelope Canyon covered in an red, gritty paste after we got caught in a shower in there (cameras and us also covered in red paste), that was 7 years ago and can still find traces of that stuff, has travelled a lot in all sorts of conditions, rattled around in the back of a ute in 40+c, been used as a walking pole, been coated in mud at motox events and carried around cities.

That's a long winded of saying this thing has had everything thrown at it and is in the bag again for our upcoming trip....its a bit like a Hi Lux....unbreakable.

The one thing I have done differently to most with this monopod is to use a Manfrotto 222 joystick head on it, again, no longer available, but there are options out there that I will get to. The joystick / pistol grip style of head gives you great versatility in any situation...and I mean ANY situation, I swear by it, my old 222 gave up the ghost recently but I was able to source a near new one from Gumtree at a fraction of new price.

Options to look at would be a Vanguard G?100Head, (DCExpert), a friend has one and I was looking at it recently and it would be a good option to the 222, do not know about their monopods but like their other stuff. Slik have a monopod / pistol grip option, again check out DCExpert, my daughter has a Slik and likes it, it looks well made.

PS: Originally purchased in 2002 (Monopod & 222 head)
I have a Manfrotto joystick head and I get no joy from it. I have never been able to get it smooth enough - it is either too tight to move or it slips. I wish I had the touch. I have tried using it on the monopod and on tripods - it just never really worked. I'm curious if you had a learning curve or if it always worked for you.
08-15-2018, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Manfrotto joystick head and I get no joy from it. I have never been able to get it smooth enough - it is either too tight to move or it slips. I wish I had the touch. I have tried using it on the monopod and on tripods - it just never really worked. I'm curious if you had a learning curve or if it always worked for you.
G'day Uncle V, it was good from the word go. I operate the handle and monopod position with my left hand and control the camera with my right ( I am right handed). Assuming yours is the 222, look for a small grub screw near the bottom of the thing, just above the ball, first back off the thumb wheel to the top (or in the negative mark direction) and adjust the screw at the bottom with an allum/hex (not sure what you call ém over there) key, it does not need a lot, try a qtr turn and check. Adjust it so as it is firm on the ball, not tight, and then re-adjust the thumb screw to fine tune operation.

I pulled my old one apart trying to work out why it had lost its "grip", and that little screw has a lot to do with its tension & operation.....couldn't determine why it was failing, no doubt due to wear on one component in there somewhere. Have had to adjust the "new" one a bit, it was not as smooth as the old one initially, but happy with it now.
08-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
G'day Uncle V, it was good from the word go. I operate the handle and monopod position with my left hand and control the camera with my right ( I am right handed). Assuming yours is the 222, look for a small grub screw near the bottom of the thing, just above the ball, first back off the thumb wheel to the top (or in the negative mark direction) and adjust the screw at the bottom with an allum/hex (not sure what you call ém over there) key, it does not need a lot, try a qtr turn and check. Adjust it so as it is firm on the ball, not tight, and then re-adjust the thumb screw to fine tune operation.

I pulled my old one apart trying to work out why it had lost its "grip", and that little screw has a lot to do with its tension & operation.....couldn't determine why it was failing, no doubt due to wear on one component in there somewhere. Have had to adjust the "new" one a bit, it was not as smooth as the old one initially, but happy with it now.
Oh wow. Let me try that.
08-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh wow. Let me try that.
Stop. Play with yer new monopod and leave yer old ones alone!
08-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stop. Play with yer new monopod and leave yer old ones alone!
Technically this isn't a monopod, just a head for one! LOL.
08-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Technically this isn't a monopod, just a head for one! LOL.
Grr...
08-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@unclevanya, so how's the new monopod going, care to share some thoughts?