Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good idea but big and cumbersome.

08-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Good idea but big and cumbersome.
I have a similar reaction. Pretty much all my modern lenses have reversable hoods, and it just seems easier to use them than something like this. On my older lenses, I've ended up just buying dedicated hoods that I leave on. Some are collapsable rubber varients and others are fixed, and I just leave them in place and get caps that fit the ends.
08-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Would be interested in how they work out for you. I feel like I never have enough hands to hold and fiddle with whatever is needed, so one handed operation of cap and hood are must haves for me. What would be interesting is if you could have the hood in position for use and easily enough get this cap on/off to do it one handed. Depending on the depth and diameter combination of the hood, I sometimes find it difficult to get my fingers in to the pinch caps, so the hood approach is interesting.
I've used them for quite some time, and am very pleased with them. Yes, I used both hands fitting them on the hoods, but for me, this is not a problem. The problem for me was trying to put a lens cap on/off with the hood attached; nor do I wish to remove the hoods each time I want protection for a lens, not for me!
08-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've used them for quite some time, and am very pleased with them.
Thanks. It really does seem to get down to personnel shooting styles and specific gear combinations.

12-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got offered a 40% discount on them and would love to hear from anyone that has been using them for a while now.
BFCM40
12-09-2018, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I've used the original KUVRD on my DA20-40 for the last 3 weeks during a dusty/muddy trip to Uganda. For that lens it's a perfect fit! And an essential replacement for the standard cap that I would have lost after the first 10m walking through the dense Ugandan forests. On the DA20-40 (with hood) the KUVRD requires almost no stretching to put it on the lens, and can be tightened by gently tapping it on the front until it eases against the zoom ring, leaving just enough space between the front of the cap and the hood for extra impact absorption, ensuring it cannot touch the front element either. Since the lens is slightly wider than the hood in some places there's no way the cap will come off easily, so it does require some stretching to get it off, but that's easy thanks to the undulating zoom ring of the DA20-40 which makes it easy to grab the edge of the KUVRD.

The KUVRD is not as bulky as it looks, because the material allows squeezing it to a compact volume that easily fits into any pocket.

But... whether it works well depends largely on the lens. It's not as universal as they claim. I found it hard to fit on some of my larger non WR lenses that I was hoping to using it on (e.g. my Samyang 16/2). Also if the front can be pushed against the front element of the lens that risks leaving a slight stain if the cap isn't 100% clean (dust may get into it when sitting in your pocket for instance).

KUVRD have realized this in the mean time, their newest Kickstarter campaign evidencing this: a larger and a smaller version being added to the offering, with a domed front instead of a flat one.

I'm getting those as well after my very positive experience on the DA20-40. The smaller ones should fit my other limited lenses fine. I'm waiting with the large one until we see the performance of the announced DA*11-18/2.8 though, as this lens could replace my Samyang on WR requiring trips.

hth, Wim
12-09-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought one for my F*300/4.5, which came to me without a front cap. It fits snugly (very snugly) over the built-in hood, but does just what it says it does. For that size front element (67mm filter), it looks appropriate, certainly not big or cumbersome.