Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

KUVRD Universal Lens Cap

An ad for this product came up in my facebook feed: a silicon lens cover that fits any size lens. I like the idea and the look of these lens covers, but they are quite expensive. Even at the best bulk price they are still $15 USD each, and you definitely would need several of them to get protection from drops etc. They had a successful kickstarter. Anyway, I did a brief search for a cheaper third party alternative but didn't find anything. Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything similar? Thanks!

07-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting product! Looking forward to anyone that has one.
07-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just wait and if it is really good and usefull, Mr. China will soon make it for 2 $ ;-)
07-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Op Tech make similar products in the USA:

Hood Hat - Lens Cover | OP/TECH USA

Snoot Boot - Camera Lens Case | OP/TECH USA

07-23-2018, 11:37 AM - 4 Likes   #5

When will Trojan make them?
07-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When will Trojan make them?
Gross! But amusing...

---------- Post added 07-23-18 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Interesting. Presumably neoprene would not be quite as protective (no seal, etc.). I wonder how expensive the silicon ones really are to produce.
07-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
Gross! But amusing...

Interesting. Presumably neoprene would not be quite as protective (no seal, etc.). I wonder how expensive the silicon ones really are to produce.
Altura makes something similar to the snoot boot where you get 3 to 6 different sizes for the price of one Snootboot. I got them on Amazon and ebay.

07-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An ad for this product came up in my facebook feed: a silicon lens cover that fits any size lens. I like the idea and the look of these lens covers, but they are quite expensive. Even at the best bulk price they are still $15 USD each, and you definitely would need several of them to get protection from drops etc. They had a successful kickstarter. Anyway, I did a brief search for a cheaper third party alternative but didn't find anything. Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything similar? Thanks!
Looks like a very well made product.
The only glitch I can see: what if you loose one ? ! ... quite expensive.
07-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've seen it approximetly a year ago in a video review If I remember correctly and the guy was complaining about he can't get it on or off by one hand.
07-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I found a discount code "ML25" for 25% off the order total. (Actually the code I saw was ML15 for 15% but I thought I would try higher values, and 25 was the highest that worked.) So I decided to order some, what the hell!
07-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see how it would work well if you like using lens hoods, which most Pentax lenses come with.
07-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gross! But amusing...

I have several of the Hood Hats from OpTech. They do well protecting the lens. They fit snugly. Waterproof? I would say they would be water resistant, but not waterproof, as I have a feeling they would absorb the water.

BTW, in response to another post, I order the Hood Hats large enough to fit over the lens hoods.
07-25-2018, 04:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
BTW, in response to another post, I order the Hood Hats large enough to fit over the lens hoods.
Would be interested in how they work out for you. I feel like I never have enough hands to hold and fiddle with whatever is needed, so one handed operation of cap and hood are must haves for me. What would be interesting is if you could have the hood in position for use and easily enough get this cap on/off to do it one handed. Depending on the depth and diameter combination of the hood, I sometimes find it difficult to get my fingers in to the pinch caps, so the hood approach is interesting.
07-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used the Hood Hats with my lens hoods for several years; even on the larger hood on my 300 F4. I easily can pull them off one handed. To put them on, yes you need both hands, unless you get them much larger. I like mine fitting snug, however; the keep dust, etc. off the lens.
08-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I backed the KUVRD campaign and have received two universal lens caps. I haven't used them intensively yet for my intended purpose, but I tried them out briefly to see if they would work for me.

They fit my DA20-40 nicely, which will be my main use. I'll be taking this as a standard zoom to Uganda where I will be walking in dense rain forest vegetation looking for chimpanzees, gorillas and golden monkeys (three different hikes). I'll be sure not to lose the DA20-40's lens cap this way and it should offer protection against bumping into trees and so.

I was hoping to fit one over the DA*50-135's hood as well, since that lens will be on my second body (for the gorillas at least). Unfortunately the material doesn't stretch enough for that, but I might use it on the lens without the hood.

For smaller lenses than the DA20-40 (eg some of the limiteds) the caps are too wide, so they don't help waterproof those unfortunately. I always hesitate taking my beloved FA limiteds to tropical places, and I would have loved it if KUVRD had provided me with a solution for that...

For the right size of lens, however, the universal lens cap offers great protection, though it's not a cap to take off or put back on quickly. The cap is also quite bulky, so putting it away while photographing is harder than with a regular cap that fits in a small pocket, though the material *is* very flexible.

Regardless, since they are talking about making different sizes for bigger and smaller lenses I still might get some of those as well some day... I do like the idea.

Hth, Wim