Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I find myself needing either a tripod or monopod more and more. Getting older and shakier. I have three Vanguard models that I use. No particular reason for choosing them other than pretty good reviews and great sales at B&H for two of them. At Yellowstone I find myself using one for a spotting scope and one for my camera if I am in a place for any length of time. If I am walking around a lot, no tripods, but I may start using my monopod more and more. I am currently looking for a bracket that I can mount onto the sides of my pickup truck bed to use as camera and scope platforms.

I just started planning Yellowstone trip number10 for next May.

08-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

I use tripods as much as possible. My shooting style gets along well with them, and I find that they improve my photography.
08-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a Gitzo GT3330 tripod and a Manfrotto 393 head.
For me it works great with the DFA 150-450 and DA 560.
It gives me a rock steady, stable mount.
The weight is not an issue for me. I consider it part of the reason the tripod is so stable.
08-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do use tripods. For long exposure shots. For macro work. For sports.

Long exposure shots, well that is pretty obvious.
Macro work. It does take time and patience, and it can be so much easier with a tripod.
sports. I do shoot surf with long and heavy lenses. after a while you do not want to have it in your hand anymore, and you will be happy it is resting on a tripod.

08-18-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of the subjects I most commonly shoot, I almost always use a tripod for landscape, seldom for wildlife and never of street or travel - it really does depend on so much. If you want to be manoeuvrable or you're shooting a moving subject, they are often more of a disadvantage than an advantage, but if you are shooting landscape, precise framing and the best possible sharpness are important and a tripod allows you to slow down and take the measured approach to get the best possible image.
08-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Got several tripods, but use them rarely because they generally "get in the way", or are too large/heavy to carry. Only use them for lens calibration and/or close-up shots of stuff I want to sell
10-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #52
Veteran Member

99% of the time I use a tripod.