Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Tripod...do you use, or not use.

Tripod...do you use.....or not use ?

That is the question.

I've got some good tripods I've accumulated over the years. I have my big tripod, a Leitz Tiltall, my two 'smalls'...one a Minolta Table Top....really a very good copy of the old Leitz Table Top and last and least...my Gorilla.

I still use them all, but just occasionally and not as much as I used a tripod, during the film years. I got the Gorilla in the digital era.

Part of it is that I don't do as many low light shots as I used to and the big reason is that I have the ability to set/change ISO on my modern digital cameras . On my film camera, I would occasionally maybe push 400 Tri-X film to 800, but I usually didn't like the results...ie; grain. That was one of the major reasons I got a tripod and I still use a tripod...more... when using film cameras.

I also don't use a large tripod now in the digital era, as opposed to the film era because back then (film days) I used some large, heavy, cumbersome cameras...like my Mamiya TLR medium format. If I had a Pentax 645 digital, I think I would be using my Leitz Tiltall a lot with that that equipment..

With my K-1...I can go from 100 ISO to 12,500 and the picture still looks real good...grain wise. Amazing to me, who started getting serious about photography in the 1960's.

So I don't need my tripods as much as I used too...again still use them...but not anywhere as much.

What about you and why/why not do you use/not use a tripod as much as you once did ?

07-24-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me, it all depends on the subject matter. If I am out shooting landscapes, I will take a tripod with me. You never know what you might find out in the woods.

If I am shooting concerts/bar bands or anything action, no, no tripod.
07-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
For me, it all depends on the subject matter. If I am out shooting landscapes, I will take a tripod with me. You never know what you might find out in the woods.

If I am shooting concerts/bar bands or anything action, no, no tripod.
I'm with Dave and also not for wildlife, maybe if you had one on a bird nest or something, but anything non action it's going to make a better photo. Sure you don't need it when you can shoot real high shutter speeds, but I'd rather slow down the shutter than boost ISO if I have a choice.
07-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the tripod availability for landscape, especially low light, also.

07-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I know in advance I’ll shoot a specific landscape I want to shoot RAW @ 100 ISO, so I take the tripod, but it is a chore to carry. I take it infrequently now because I new lenses are so heavy - which defeats the purpose of the large, heavy FF lenses.

Recently I’ve started using a monopod with a light Manfrotto ballhead I bought years ago from a member. I should buy an Arca Swiss compatible tilt head for the monopod. As it is I think I get most of the benefit of a tripod with much less weight and inconvenience.
07-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I often use a tripod for shooting night landscapes but rarely for day shooting.
07-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #7

If I'm on a trip i always carry my tripod. Especially for any HDR shots with multiple exposures. For normal day to day shooting I really don't carry one. I got a monopod and gonna try and use that more.

07-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

For many of my pictures, I need a tripod: long exposure waterfall shots, sunsets, high-quality panoramic and night shots of the moon and stars. For those I have a full-sized tripod. (After a little practice, it is possible to do a pretty good daytime pano hand holding.). For single-shot daytime landscapes, I rarely breakout the tripod unless it is an absolutely beautiful scene I might print at 16x20 or larger.
07-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use a tripod about 99% of the time. Mostly I shoot landscapes--frequently later in the day when the quantity of light is low, but the quality of light is high.
I use Live View a lot for accurate focus and metering--my working method is not unlike someone using a 4x5 view camera.
07-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am using a K3 and have to use tripod a lot because I like doing night long exposure photography and light trails.
07-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My view on tripod usage has evolved over the years. Latest decision is to use tripod for only Pixel shift(for Macro) and Multi-row panorama. All else is going to be hand-held. I do not mind shooting at 3200ISO.

i was not sure whether I can shoot hand-held shots using heavy lens like DFA 150-450. Recently I shot many landscapes using DFA 150-450. Average speed was 1/1600sec. Output was good when I viewed at 100% magnification.

I have attached 180mm nodal-rail to K1, and 180mm QR plate to DFA 150-450. I think they have helped me get firm grip.
07-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just shoot wildlife so I always use one if I am going to the river to photograph bald eagles and osprey, I find it so much easier to track them coming in to fish with the gimbal head over a monopod. I also use it if I am going to go to one or two spots to set up and wait for wildlife to come to that area. But if I'm going to be walking around I stick with the monopod.

I'm going out to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of September and I am not sure if I should pack the tripod also or just stick with the monopod. I'm going for the wildlife but will also try getting some shots of the mountains so it could be useful.
07-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I normally use a tripod for macro, for portaits when I have a remote in my hand, and for longer exposure (landscape, stars). These are pretty much independent of iso performance, so I anticipate I'll keep using a tripod.
07-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I just shoot wildlife so I always use one if I am going to the river to photograph bald eagles and osprey, I find it so much easier to track them coming in to fish with the gimbal head over a monopod. I also use it if I am going to go to one or two spots to set up and wait for wildlife to come to that area. But if I'm going to be walking around I stick with the monopod.

I'm going out to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of September and I am not sure if I should pack the tripod also or just stick with the monopod. I'm going for the wildlife but will also try getting some shots of the mountains so it could be useful.
I was recently in Yellowstone

I am not very experienced at using a tripod

I did try using a tripod and I also just used a camera back pack sitting on the front of my SUV to brace my telephoto lens

I would recommend that if you could, take both your monopod and tripod, but be prepared to vary your approach and see what happens

if you are flying in and carrying such equipment is a problem, consider renting equipment

I used LensRental.com and pick up the equipment at a Fed Ex store in the area ( Bozeman MT )

there may be other companies as well
07-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only shoot film, so yes I frequently use a tripod.

I have five Manfrotto tripods in various sizes that I use for different shooting situations listed below:

- 6x7 body with film slower than 400 ISO.
- 6x7 body with a lens 300mm and greater.
- 6x7 body and macro work with the 67 100/4. (very close subject to camera distance)
- 6x7 body and any low light shooting.
- 35mm body and a lens 400mm and greater. (sometimes 300mm if using slower film)
- 35mm body for some critical focusing or macro work.
- 35mm body and any low light shooting.

Phil.