Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 02:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best cross-body strap for D-FA*70-200 on K-1?

I love my K-1 and I love my new zoom, but the cross-body strap I'm currently using (which is good enough for my very light and compact film bodies, thank you Asahi Opt. Co) has some plastic parts, and I fear the day when one of them will crack and send the whole kit and caboodle crashing onto a hard surface. I don't trust it to take the whole weight for prolonged periods and am always keeping at least one hand on the gear.

Can someone recommend me a good one that I can trust nearly $6000 CDN worth of gear with?

07-28-2018, 04:13 AM   #2

I used to have a sling/wrist combination strap from Gordy's strap. It should be sturdy enough to hold your setup.

Neck strap, sling ? gordy's camera straps
07-28-2018, 04:16 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there are many threads on this

and many options

I like the Optech USA system

https://optechusa.com/

because it attaches to the upper camera attachment point, not the tripod attachment point

even though I had one fail because I didn't check it properly as this thread explains:

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

I also have devised a back up system using a Joby Hand grip and ultra plate

https://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-hand-strap-with-ultraplate

where the metal attachment point of the camera is attached to the metal D ring of the Joby system which Is then attached to the main shoulder strap

I use that set up with my K 3 and K 3 II with lenses ranging from my SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS to my HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW with the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter attached as well as my HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-29-2018 at 03:41 AM.
07-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
perhaps one of these lucky straps, standard or long length.

All Products | Lucky Camera Straps

07-28-2018, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I would suggest you look at a Black Rapid Sport. Recently I was in NY and was using an Optech rig. We were visiting Liberty Island and it was drizzling. When I got back to the hotel I discovered black marks on my shirt collar from the Optech neoprene pad. Gave me an excuse to visit BH Video and Photo store, a big photographers fun house and came away with the Black Rapid, they do not use neoprene for their pad and I prefer how the camera hangs with the Black Rapid rig.
07-28-2018, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I use the Peak Design "slide" strap, so far im good with it (and use the Ulysses Arciere Grande Leather hand strap [modified to use the anchor system of peak design] when i dont feel to use a body strap); i use to have the Optech, but the bounce feeling of the neoprene wasnt something i like very much with heavy and expensive equipment, and before the Optech i used to have the Black Rapid.... its very nice strap but bulky. Try if you can all the cross body straps, because all of them are very good, but you must find one that fit with you
07-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #7

I have a Black Rapid slingstrap (double) But sometimes it’s just anoyng to have your camera ‘bouncing’ around when running around at sports events. So i decided to get one of those clips to carry your camera attached to your belt. I’ve been using it with K-1/70-200 and in many cases found it very comfortable. Added value is the ease of changing lenses with a clip like that. There are some drawbacks bat i guess there is no one solution for all situations.

07-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have done cross-country runs with the DFA*70-200 slung over the shoulder with my BlackRapid sling strap. I do add a backup which attaches to the left neckstrap lug in case the tripod thread miraculously fails.
07-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I like the Peak Design straps
Quick-Connecting Camera Straps | Peak Design Straps
07-28-2018, 05:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Optech system to carry Sigma 150-500. The key word here is 'system' - I can use the same strap with Bigma, LX, and Mamiya, what is very convenient. I recommend to verify whether there are suitable mounting points on your lens before you decide on strap you want to use. Anchors of aforementioned Optech require pretty large holes, what may be problematic. For instance, tripod mount of Bigma has big screw which holds whole thing in place and can be used as mounting point for anchors, but my other tele lens (Tamron and other Sigma) have nothing like this, and I have to use other means to connect all parts of the set.

P.S. Michaelina2 has shown the same method as I use with Tamron - mounting point screwed into tripod thread of the lens.

Last edited by pentageek; 07-28-2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: New post by Michaelina2
07-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My son gave me a Peak Design Slide strap (adding my vote). I use it simply because cross-chest is less tiring with K-1 + 70~200. Otherwise I am monopod dependent.

My son shoots outdoor Lacrosse with a 24~70 and 70~200 on dual 7D’s and moves up and down the sidelines, so the Slides are a must. All the other shooters at these games (pros and college students) shoot 600’s on monopod and stand in one place, so they miss half the game. My son sells* more photos.

* he gives low-res jpeg image files to High School students for their recruiting CD’s. He’ll sell the RAW file one time each to any player in the shot. He doesn’t print.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2018 at 06:24 AM.
07-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
Forum Member

Also a fan of Op/Tech straps. I have both of their slings and prefer the one that supports 2 bodies simply because the extra loop helps keep the shoulder pad from rotating away. Each loop has 2 buckles. One is sufficient for most camera weights (K-3 + Grip + Sigma Art 35/Samyang 135), but the second one can be connected in a pinch for added security. I also like that I can quickly reuse the existing connectors with their wrist strap.
07-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use the Peak Design Slide. Pretty comfortable. If you go Peak Design I’d recommend getting the older anchors for it though. The newer version’s string portions are thinner and kind of worries me about durability and heard something about the V3 anchors are getting recalled.
07-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had a look at the Peak Design straps; they look like they are designed to attach to the camera rather than the tripod foot of the lens (the preferred attachment point for a lens of this size). I do not like the string aspect; this seems like a terrible accident waiting to happen.

Black Rapid straps have a snap-in quick-release buckle, which I am worried could be a potential failure point as I cannot judge from the pics and vids whether they are metal or plastic.

My current strap is Case Logic brand, and although I like it, the D loops and the attachment point to the tripod mount are plastic and in my mind untrustworthy (metal yields gracefully, plastic or composite fails with a sudden snap).

@pentageek the 70-200 has a tripod foot with two mounting holes of standard tripod thread size.
07-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@pathdoc The anchor plate on the PD Slide seems to work on the tripod foot, but I remove the foot and use the camera base because the foot is uncomfortable on my hip. The string anchors have a ‘warning’ system - they change color when it is time to replace them, with a significant safety margin. . They seem robust enough to me, especially with a safety loop. I think using two of them in the lugs is riskier because there’s no way to catch the camera if one of them breaks.