Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired Remote for KP/K-1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I'm a little slow off the mark, but I realise now that the KP has no IR Blaster ability, shame. But I was also thinking anyway of getting a wired remote to control my K-1, something more than just 'AF' and 'Shutter' button.

This is the one I have currently;

IR Remote Control for Pentax K-1 K-3 MX K S1 S2 SK-30 Q S1 K-5 7 II K20D F O-RC1 | eBay

I've been wanting something better than this for awhile anyway, I find sometimes its a but sluggish to fire, a bit stubborn, but more importantly I want to be able to do stuff like change shutter speed or ISO from a wired remote without touching the camera at all.

Does such a remote exist for the KP/K-1? How long can the cable lengths run for?

Cheers,

Bruce

07-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not aware of any ability to do what you want wired. If such a capability exists, it would have to be through the USB port. Does the KP support ImageSync? If so, you can use a smartphone to adjust settings and fire the shutter remotely/wirelessly.
07-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Im not aware of any wired remote that can control things like ISO or aperture on any Pentax camera, i only see some that can be used for timelapse... but in the K1 and KP cameras you can download the ImageSync app as darylk say, and control those with your smartphone
07-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The wired remotes only have a shutter button. Same goes for the IR remotes.

You'd need a different one for the KP vs the K-1, as they use different types of ports.

However, as others have said, they both have WiFi, which would make things a lot easier.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JJC JM-PK1 II Wireless Shutter Release For PENTAX
just ordered one from aliexpress.com
AU$25.08 , with free but very slow postage and I was charged US$2 for GST (Australian tax)
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Read more at: KP shutter release ... Wired and Wireless options that work ! - PentaxForums.com
07-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I'm not aware of any ability to do what you want wired. If such a capability exists, it would have to be through the USB port. Does the KP support ImageSync? If so, you can use a smartphone to adjust settings and fire the shutter remotely/wirelessly.
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Im not aware of any wired remote that can control things like ISO or aperture on any Pentax camera, i only see some that can be used for timelapse... but in the K1 and KP cameras you can download the ImageSync app as darylk say, and control those with your smartphone
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The wired remotes only have a shutter button. Same goes for the IR remotes.

You'd need a different one for the KP vs the K-1, as they use different types of ports.

However, as others have said, they both have WiFi, which would make things a lot easier.
Eh.. ok... I'm a bit surprised at this news. What did people do before wifi and Image Sync?! I mean only controlling the camera with shutter button is pretty meh, no? But ok then.. fair do's...

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
JJC JM-PK1 II Wireless Shutter Release For PENTAX
just ordered one from aliexpress.com
AU$25.08 , with free but very slow postage and I was charged US$2 for GST (Australian tax)
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Read more at: KP shutter release ... Wired and Wireless options that work ! - PentaxForums.com
Cool, ok so that's an option, good to know.

I guess though it's Image Sync all the way for what I'm looking for, I just try not to get my phone out too often if I can help it, battery life, bright sunny Australia, screen brightness to the max, now phone is dead. #justaustraliathings
07-29-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Eh.. ok... I'm a bit surprised at this news. What did people do before wifi and Image Sync?! I mean only controlling the camera with shutter button is pretty meh, no? But ok then.. fair do's...
There were some community-developed programs with varying degrees of USB tethering features (PKTriggerCord, PK Tether) for most Pentax bodies over the years.

Now, much of this is exposed via the recently-launched Ricoh SDK, and of course both the K-1 and KP are also compatible with Pentax's own Image Transmitter 2 (and hopefully all future bodies too).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have also the same experience for the remote control, my question is :
do we have some APK for android that developed by thirdparty to settle this problem ?
07-30-2018, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Well, for the last 170 years it worked OK?

Besides just having a remote, you need to have some way to see what you are doing. Like can you even really control the shutter speed reasonably if you can't see what you set it to?
07-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Well, for the last 170 years it worked OK?

Besides just having a remote, you need to have some way to see what you are doing. Like can you even really control the shutter speed reasonably if you can't see what you set it to?
Haha yes it did lol. The idea of using a remote controller is to just not have to touch and disturb the camera again, being able to take multiple shots with wizardry tweaking, for some interesting interpretations in post processing.

I'm pretty sure I have a wired remote somewhere with a lcd screen, I think you might get some control over certain features such as ISO, aperture and shutter speed, for sure there were a few buttons on it. I dunno what camera it was for or where it came from (), passed down to me by my father I think, but it doesn't work with the K-1 or KP...

We're in the digital age now, where layering and masking is quite a popular thing, having the ability to fire one shot, change some certain settings, fire another, without touching camera just might make a cleaner alignment process in post.
07-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Right, and that application/approach seems to match well with the modern digital interface of a smartphone app.
07-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
ne!
Forum Member

I use the Image Sync app on my smartphone to control these settings, and it’s wireless, too! True it’s not the slickest app in the world, but it might be the best solution for your needs.
07-31-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Right, and that application/approach seems to match well with the modern digital interface of a smartphone app.
That's right, and I am aware of that app, it's not the slickest (as some might say), but my current handset is also prone to deciding to randomly chew up a vast amount of battery life very randomly, and I also live in Australia which typically means screen brightness to the max, so I was simply enquiring as to whether there was a more old school and reliable device to connect to the Pentax range that did more than just have a shutter button. The issue with the Image Sync app as well is sometimes the phone likes to not recall the pw, so that means delving into the camera settings to retrieve it and input it in, or c/p it from the smartphone if stored on a notepad somewhere or something, honestly it becomes a slower and more painful ordeal than I'd like. I was thinking that perhaps more indepth wireless remotes could offer some more advanced features, or indeed a wired one...

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
I use the Image Sync app on my smartphone to control these settings, and it’s wireless, too! True it’s not the slickest app in the world, but it might be the best solution for your needs.
I think highlighting the bold part is nuff said , but no thanks, I do use that app occasionally, was just after 'option 2', which doesn't seem to exist
08-02-2018, 02:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

arrived and works great, the Singapore mail was very fast.
08-05-2018, 01:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
i have also the same experience for the remote control, my question is :
do we have some APK for android that developed by thirdparty to settle this problem ?
Sure, that's what this thread is for:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There were some community-developed programs with varying degrees of USB tethering features (PKTriggerCord, PK Tether) for most Pentax bodies over the years.
Now, much of this is exposed via the recently-launched Ricoh SDK, and of course both the K-1 and KP are also compatible with Pentax's own Image Transmitter 2 (and hopefully all future bodies too).
Image Transmitter 2 controls the camera via cable, but it seems this isn't enough for the pentaxians in this thread?

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
It would be great if Ricoh would releases the documentation for the PTP protocol they use. Then qDslrDashboard (for Windows, Linux, Android, OS.X, Raspberry) probably would get support for Pentax cameras.
Pentax (RICOH) cameras support - dslrdashboard.info
Tablet connection - PentaxForums.com
Indeed.
Four SDKS to be released - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com