Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

Fixed LCD screen - how to view from above / below?

Hi Everyone,

I have a Pentax K-3II and literally the only thing that irritates me is that the LCD screen is fixed. I was wondering if there is some sort of accessory (probably mirror based I assume) that will allow me to view the screen from above or below?

This didn't seem like an issue to me before I bought my camera but I've since become interested in macro photography so being able to view the screen from another angle would be really useful!

Thanks,

Sam

07-30-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A mirror. It will also flip it, so you'll have to change side compared to the camera (i.e. in front instead of from behind).

Or two mirrors, like a periscope.
07-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
only thing that irritates me is that the LCD screen is fixed
This is a major reason why I didn't go for a K-3 when I bought my K-S2... and why I'd still recommend a K-S2/K-70 over the K-P, and why I hope a new K-3 replacement will use a better screen than the K-P/K-1. I really need that fully articulating screen!
07-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Buy a K-70 to use as a screen viewer. Bonus - second camera as a backup.

07-30-2018, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

I use a flu card for this, with my mobile phone. Not as convenient as the wavy screen, but it does the job.
07-30-2018, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Give this a try, I have used this product, & was pleased with it.

Flipbac 3in Angle Viewfinder/Screen Protector, Black FB3B
07-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

is that something you fix to your camera and leave or is it designed to be removable and put on when you need it and off when you don't

07-30-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

You can get a right angle viewer for the eyepiece as well, or a field monitor that plugs into the camera, which I much prefer for flexibility.
07-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
You can get a right angle viewer for the eyepiece as well, or a field monitor that plugs into the camera, which I much prefer for flexibility.
This very thing is what eventually prompted me to ditch my K-3II in favor of the KP.
A Field monitor works great , but its just one more thing making for a large Rig.
07-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
is that something you fix to your camera and leave or is it designed to be removable and put on when you need it and off when you don't
It is attached with adhesive. It can be cleanly removed, but is not made to be put on/off multiple times. It folds flat, and is a good cover for the LCD screen. Definitely not bulky when closed.
07-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

It is attached with adhesive. It can be cleanly removed, but is not made to be put on/off multiple times. It folds flat, and is a good cover for the LCD screen. Definitely not bulky when closed.
I had one of those on my Q-7 for a while. I never became accustomed to using it {perhaps I didn't use it enough} and I gave up on it when it finally came off on its own. Fortunately, it doesn't cost much, so nothing much is lost if the experiment doesn't work out.
07-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine is still attached to my K10, and I did enjoy using it. Was thinking of one for my Q.
08-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
This very thing is what eventually prompted me to ditch my K-3II in favor of the KP.
A Field monitor works great , but its just one more thing making for a large Rig.
BUT...whilst having the tilting monitor is very useful, you still need to get reasonably close to view it, whereas a field monitor can be mounted at a more convenient height for viewing, especially if you use a tripod to mount it on whilst manoeuvring the camera hand-held for low angle shots of, say, plants.

Everyone to their own, though.
08-06-2018, 04:10 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments and advice!

The Flipbac looks like a good option but it's not quite the same size as the LCD screen so I'm going to see how I get on with my current setup for a while and maybe get one later on.
08-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Be advised that if you purchase the Flipbac as I did

it says it is not to be applied on top of a LCD screen protector

" We will not warrant adhesion if a LCD screen protector is used with the Flipbac "

it is designed to take the place of a LCD screen protector apparantly

It would have been nice if that notice was in the description, not hidden in the paper booklet provided with the item