Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
k10d read/write speed?

Hey... I'm thinking of buying ExtremeIII card instead of my set of Ultra2 cards, and now here's the question - would k10d performance benefit of it at all?

I can't find read/write speed for k10d's buffer, so if anyone has used both card types - please help

I know I'll feel the difference while transfering to computer, but I'm primarily interested in camera performance...

09-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dunno if this will help

Pentax K10D Review: 10. Timings & Sizes: Digital Photography Review
09-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the card's speed makes a difference...if you're shooting continuous RAW. With 180x and 60x cards, I shot a continuous series until the buffer filled up, then stopped to let it empty and took one more frame as soon as the LED turned off. With the 180x card, ~15 seconds elapsed from first to last image; with the 60x card, ~45 seconds elapsed. Now, I think the 60x card is slow for its ilk, but this shows that the camera can take advantage of faster cards.

Then again, the buffer is large, and I can't imagine filling it even with rapid, but single-frame, RAW shots.
09-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

No question go for the extreme III, when you add up what you have spent on the rest of your kit and the cost of losing the job or shoot your on. Both in terms of the speed of image capture or card reliability in keeping the image once shot.

For me I want the best card available, thatís IMHO the extreme III, good temperature range , good shock resistance etc etc, they are now also relatively cheap, especially for the 4GB so I carry loads of them (at least ten at any one time). This means youíre never worried about counting the shots or maybe missing something.