Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multi Battery Adapter Kit - Sony NPA-MQZ1K

This construction could be a role model for Pentax. Would be great if something like this would be offered in the future!
Multi Battery Adapter Kit | NPA-MQZ1K | Sony US
Marketing Specifications
Operating Instructions

Advantages:
  • powering the camera with up to four external batteries
  • adding external power source for charging up to four batteries simultaneously
  • charging external devices from USB out

Last edited by angerdan; 08-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
08-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like an interesting product. Could be useful for long shoots or video. It would also be nice to charge multiple batteries at the same time. I don’t think USB would be useful charging multiple batteries though. I don’t think a USB port could put out enough juice. Be better off buying an inverter and plugging it in to a lighter socket and using ac. You could also kiss WR goodbye.

Maybe on future models Pentax could add a WR power jack that is like any standard power adapter. But then you would probably want something universal that wouldn’t use camera batteries or you design and manufacture one for each battery type. But I don’t think it would be feasible or profitable.be limited to camera batteries.
08-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
charging the batteries by USB
I'm not sure if it can do that. It appears to have a micro USB port that is described as "DC In 5V", but the specs say it requires 12V at 1.8 Amps, and there isn't anything in the specs or manual about using that plug. You would think they would list that in the features, but I can't find any mention of charging from USB, just providing power to USB devices.

One review says that the charger only does one battery at a time, so I suppose that would address the loading issue - USB power should be enough to charge one battery (albeit slowly).

Edit: While reading the manual to see if it can be a USB charger, I found that it can't be used as an AC adapter:

QuoteQuote:
You cannot supply power directly to the connected device by connecting this unit to a power outlet with the supplied AC adaptor.

Looks like it's really a battery pack, or a battery charger.

Last edited by THoog; 08-12-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarity
08-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does this say something about how long Sony batteries last when in use?
I can get a heavy days use in "spray and pray" mode out of even the smaller DLi109 so a spare in the pocket is enough for me.

08-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think you read that wrong - it can use the batteries to provide USB power to charge other devices, but I can't find anything that says it can charge the batteries from a USB power source.
One review says that the charger only charges one battery at a time, so I suppose it could charge from USB (slowly).
Edit: After reading the manual to verify, I found that it can't be used as an AC adapter.
Fixed all points - thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I don’t think USB would be useful charging multiple batteries though. I don’t think a USB port could put out enough juice.
Maybe on future models Pentax could add a WR power jack that is like any standard power adapter. But then you would probably want something universal that wouldn’t use camera batteries or you design and manufacture one for each battery type. But I don’t think it would be feasible or profitable.be limited to camera batteries.
USB PD and USB QC can deliver 20W. The D-LI90 gets charged with 8.4V@0.4A (3.36Wh), so even 4x D-LI90 can be charged with current USB protocols and there would be 6W left (enough to power the camera).
Ricoh could develop an extra tray for the D-BG6, so the D-BG6 could be used to attach an power adapter. That would keep it WR when the cord is fixed to the tray. ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/accessory/battery/
Could be even a dual use tray with integrated charging curcuit for an optional D-LI90 battery.

A tray for 4x 18650 batteries would be awesome, this would sum up to 50W (4 x 3.7V x 3.5Ah) without the D-LI90 in the camera.

Last edited by angerdan; 08-12-2018 at 10:19 AM.
08-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My Canon GL1 camcorder had a similar contraption, but it only took two batteries. The main reason for it was that you could swap out batteries without stopping recording by switching one at a time. On a still camera, it seems easier to have a second (or third, or fourth) battery in your pocket and just swap out as necessary.
08-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the pics this setup to me only makes sense for video; not necessarily what most folks do here. to swap an extra battery should not be that difficult.

05-25-2020, 01:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd like to cross-reference this idea/thread:
Battery case with integrated charger - PentaxForums.com
05-25-2020, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

reminds me of my work from about 6 years ago,Yet the more time has passed, I found the time when I presented this creation of mine mentioned here on the forum: 26-02-2013, unfortunately there are no more original photos that present the battery grip on K30 with the accompanying text
I used a Pentax K30 and wanted a battery grip for it,
there is no original or replacement to buy so I made it myself (I am a master myself),
on ebay i bought a cheap replacement battery grip for Nikon (the model can be seen in the part of the photo) and reworked it for 2 Pentax D-LI109,
the trigger on the battery grip didn't work but I had the battery life of the D-LI109 x2,
i also had the original adapter for AA batteries (eneloop) Pentax D-BH109 AA
but this modified solution was better

Last edited by mbukal; 05-25-2020 at 12:33 PM.
05-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
there is no original or replacement to buy so I made it myself (I am a master myself),
on ebay i bought a cheap replacement battery grip for Nikon (the model can be seen in the part of the photo) and reworked it for 2 Pentax D-LI109,
Great work!
Now you could think about doing it for the K-1
05-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Great work!
Now you could think about doing it for the K-1
yes, then for those times and conditions as the K-30 did not have any battery grip this was the ideal solution for me,

it is difficult to find the time and will for that now, because:
1. so for K1 there is an original battery grip,
2. and with one original D-LI90 I make cca.550 ~ 600 photos with chimping (after 3 years of use)
3. I use additionally a replacement battery from ebay with which I can take approx. 400 photos under the same conditions as on the original,
4. I paid it about 15 euros, and it is more normally charged on the original charger D-BC90
5. For now, all this original satisfies my needs and desires, so I no needs to experiment to make up for my shortcomings which I do not currently see with the power supply on K1 .

Last edited by mbukal; 05-25-2020 at 10:42 AM.
08-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
At least Pentax now offers an USB-Charger for the D-Li90:
The new Pentax battery charger D-BC177 offers faster charging - Pentax Rumors
09-03-2020, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just bring this along. 78,000 mAH. Can plug my AC adapter into it. Can be recharged from my 100W solar panel kit. I got it last fall. It is a great little tag along. Less expensive too. It has turned out to be more handy than I thought it would.
Attached Images

Last edited by gaweidert; 09-07-2020 at 03:49 AM.