Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Mel thats a great set up.. grabbing my bag to copy it now!
Thanks alot!

10-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using the Pentax Sling bag ever since I got the k20d. I use it everyday since its not too big but big enough for several lenses and a flash along with pockets for other stuff.
01-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot to Nowhere Matt and all the others for their additional input! Just came out a shop that had the Lowpro 200 on display and was wondering how it compares to the Pentax bag. Great thread!
01-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
woop, old thread revival.. heheh

has anyone tried using the pentax sling bag with a battery grip attached to their camera?... its been noted that the opening is small compared to the lowpro, so id imagine having the battery grip on would complicate things

03-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
woop, old thread revival.. heheh

has anyone tried using the pentax sling bag with a battery grip attached to their camera?... its been noted that the opening is small compared to the lowpro, so id imagine having the battery grip on would complicate things
Okay, I'll bump this old thread now.

I just posted some pictures of the Pentax sling bag holding my K20D with grip and DA*50-135 attached in the middle compartment, and the DA*200 and DA*300 in the top and bottom compartments, respectively.

The bag looks small, but it can hold a pretty good amount. To me, it seems to hold much more than the volume of the bag would indicate.

One other thing to consider, is that for a hike where you have your camera out, you could then use the center compartment for a large lens. The DA*300 fits in the bottom compartment, so something at least that large would fit in the middle compartment if you carried your camera separately.

Here's the link to my post with pictures.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/530748-post36.html
03-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
A friend of mine has the Lowepro slingshot 200, and it is bigger than the Pentax. I have the impression it is made out of sturdier material and the zippers and craftsmanship is a cut above the pentax.
I get that impression too LaRee...

I worked in an outdoor shop for many summers and became a connoisseur of pack construction, and I'd agree with that assessment. The Pentax bag construction is probably adequate, but from what I've seen, the Lowepro construction really is much closer to a mountaineering standard. Not all their packs are oriented toward being out in the woods, but their stitching, reinforcement and materials choices show that they know what they're doing in pack construction. Considering Lowepro was founded by Greg Lowe who invented the internal frame backpack, and whose company (later split into two, Lowepro and Lowe Alpine) has been making mountaineering and photo packs for over 40 years, this isn't too surprising.
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I get that impression too LaRee...
I'll agree with your agreement.

The Pentax bag doesn't seem as heavy-duty, but I haven't noticed any problems, and I don't have less confidence in it for some reason. However, the nylon isn't as thick. All in all, it seems quite adequate to me for a day bag. I'm not sure I'd be roughing it with this bag, though. (Of course, I don't much "rough it" with any bag anymore.)
03-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

take a look at the Tamrac velocity series, i recently got the velocity 8. the lowepro slingshot 100 rain cover fits it like a glove and personally i find it more comfortable and access to gear much easier

Dave