Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Sling VS. Lowepro 200 Slingshot (Many Images)

I just wanted to throw my thoughts and images out for considerations.
The debate between the Pentax sling bag and the Lowepro Slingshot 200 has indeed been addressed more than once and if you are considering either of these two bags I encourage you to look around the forum to read the thoughts and opinions of others, do some price researching at any number of online stores and carefully consider what you expect from a small sling style camera bag.

The Pentax D-SLR Sling Bag versus the Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW

Both were loaded with at least this equipment although they both could still hold a little more small items - but this is my typical digital experience:

The Pentax VV

The Lowepro VV

The side profile and quick access openings compared - Pentax (left) Lowepro (right)

A ZX-50 inside the Pentax bag, K10 inside the Lowepro openings compared

The Pentax quick access opening (with ZX-50)

The Lowepro opening (with K10)

Do your homework and decide which bag would serve you best. Both bags are very close in comfort, sling action, how well it is held to the body and size from the outward appearance; one manages that size slightly better than the other.
The Pentax bag is about half the cost of the Lowepro and is really comfortable. It carries quite a lot of gear for just an average short outing or if you do not have much digital equipment such as I.
The Lowepro has great padding and weather resistance features. That quick access opening is huge compared with the Pentax. It has more room and has a few outside add on features as well. I can also include my K10 manual and the Kodak EasyShare used in taking these images very easily in the Lowepro and still not have taken advantage of all it's inside space.
I don't think either have functions to hold a full size tripod very well without clip on additions or other holders.
I do hope that this is helpful to many. I do appreciate the help I was given by many before I ultimately decided to just buy both bags and sort out later which one I should resell.

Links to other useful discussions
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/28935-pentax-sl...tml#post347077
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/21898-lowepro-slingshot-200aw.html

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 09-20-2008 at 01:26 PM.
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thats great. Thanks! I have looked at the Pentax bag and would like to see it in person as something to compare to. Although I like the thought of a sling bag, I may end up getting a shoulder, as it probably will be primarily used as a storage location to put all the stuff in one place. Maybe I should get both, one for storage and one for outings.
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Please excuse my ignorance,but........................what do you mean by a "sling bag"???
I'm in the market for a new gadget bag and am considering a backpack style. Is this similar???
They sort of LOOK like it.
09-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Thanks Matt, great photos. I tried the lowepro and found it very comfy, but ended up selling it. I felt that when you undid the buckles and opened up the bag to access additional lenses, everything became unstable and lens droppage might be easy. Looking at your photos, I might have to try the pentax, I like the zippered lens storage. Do you think you could get a dSLR with grip in the small opening on the pentax? I have the lowe pro inverse 200 right now, nice, but I kind of like the slingbag idea.
Thanks again, Ryan

09-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can see a video at the lowepro site:

Lowepro - SlingShot 200 AW

Link is beside the description.

I have been using the Pentax sling as my everyday bag loaded with the following:

Main section: *istDS2 with Sigma 24-60/2.8 attached, 50/1.4 A, 3 sets of batteries
Lower section: 18-55 Kit, AF-330FTZ flash, Kenko 1.5X TC
Top section: Tamron 70-300/4-5.6, small odds & ends in a pouch or pocket

I find the bag is very easy to use and I can carry it for several hours without being bothered by it.

Last edited by WJW; 09-19-2008 at 09:21 PM.
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I find myself using the pentax slingbag more often than not and I have a lot of bags. If I am hiking any distance though, I'll reach for my lowepro backpack. A friend of mine has the Lowepro slingshot 200, and it is bigger than the Pentax. I have the impression it is made out of sturdier material and the zippers and craftsmanship is a cut above the pentax. The pentax slingbag works well for me, comfortable enough (if not weighted down too heavily) to stroll about for a couple hours without discomfort. The cost is much more attractive on the pentax bag which is why I chose it. Thank you for posting direct photos comparing the two. I am certain many folks will benefit from viewing your post.
09-20-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
Thanks Matt, great photos. I tried the lowepro and found it very comfy, but ended up selling it. I felt that when you undid the buckles and opened up the bag to access additional lenses, everything became unstable and lens droppage might be easy. Looking at your photos, I might have to try the pentax, I like the zippered lens storage. Do you think you could get a dSLR with grip in the small opening on the pentax? I have the lowe pro inverse 200 right now, nice, but I kind of like the slingbag idea.
Thanks again, Ryan
I have the lowepro and I rearranged the dividers so that when I bring it around to front (or having it lying on it's side on the floor/ground) everything is facing up. I don't have it arranged like in the pictures or like in the product pictures. It's quite a bit different and works well for me. And I think everything fits better. I can get a LOT of stuff in there. My small primes get doubled up. If I had the battery grip for my K10d however, it wouldn't work in this arrangement.

My arrangement makes it so I don't have to undo the clips and open the hatch all the way to get to the lenses.

Last edited by mel; 09-20-2008 at 04:04 AM. Reason: adding stuff.
09-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Although the huge opening might facilitate quicker access, I've had some lenses fall OUT of the bag in the heat of the moment, because of that big opening!

Luckily, my lens is still ok.
09-20-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by stgmgr Quote
Please excuse my ignorance,but........................what do you mean by a "sling bag"???
I'm in the market for a new gadget bag and am considering a backpack style. Is this similar???
They sort of LOOK like it.
It's a single strap bag. The strap crosses your chest and the bag hangs at a bit of an angle across your back. The idea allows the bag to slide from your back to front without having to take it off. You can grab gear/change a lens and slip it back and continue. I don't own one of these as I use a waist belt for light gear towing and a full sized backpack on other days. (too much crap). But a good idea and very comfortable.

If they made one that was just lens pockets (lots of them), I buy it. Then just carry the camera with the shoulder strap.
09-20-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Although the huge opening might facilitate quicker access, I've had some lenses fall OUT of the bag in the heat of the moment, because of that big opening!
I agree there...

Neil
09-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks Peter!
09-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
Thanks again, Ryan
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/28935-pentax-sl...tml#post347077
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/21898-lowepro-slingshot-200aw.html

These were two of the threads I read the most and had some very good thoughts and opinions from the many on the forum.

In my opinion, the small quick access opening of the Pentax sling is a downfall of the bag. Even my K10 with no grip does not go in an out as conveniently as one would hope.
I used the bag on an outing today and right away I noticed the number of times the camera would catch on the opening and even moved the on/off button a few times.
Please be sure to read in the other https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/28935-pentax-sling-bag.html thread but I would think that the camera and grip would, at times be somewhat frustrating to slip into the small opening and would require you to unzip the access panel every time. Not the case with the Lowepro designs.
09-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As the right bag is so hard to find I am not sure if any one has seen this new bag from Kata the KT D-3N1-10/20/30 which offers three separate carrying options. It also comes in three sizes.

It looks very promising as you can use it as a sling bag and backpack. It also has the ability to cross over the straps so you can unbuckle one to get instant slingbag. It also works as a sling bag over either shoulder as there are entrances on both sides of the bag. It comes with a raincover as well.
09-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The price and most features of the Kata compares to the Lowepro Slingshot 200. Both can be had for around $80, while the Pentax sling can be on average $41.
The many Lowepros were going on ebay for $70 which in many cases includes shipping. There are a great deal of online stores and ebay auctions that I saw for the Lowepro. There were considerably less auctions for the Pentax sling but a few good places online selling the bag for even as low as $38 plus $8 or so for shipping.
If you do not want to spend a lot of money and want a bag to only carry a few pieces, the Pentax sling is well suited for just that.
If you want almost the capacity of a camera backpack and like the design and convenience of that larger access opening $80 for the Lowepro when you have the opportunity.
I truly have not decided which bag will work best for me or even if I should resell one.
10-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I have the lowepro and I rearranged the dividers so that when I bring it around to front (or having it lying on it's side on the floor/ground) everything is facing up. I don't have it arranged like in the pictures or like in the product pictures. It's quite a bit different and works well for me. And I think everything fits better. I can get a LOT of stuff in there. My small primes get doubled up. If I had the battery grip for my K10d however, it wouldn't work in this arrangement.

My arrangement makes it so I don't have to undo the clips and open the hatch all the way to get to the lenses.
Hi mel, I have that bag also and generally have found that the way it came is ok, but perhaps I could learn something from your setup. Would you mind posting a pic of how you have your lowepro interior arranged?