Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O-GPS1 Thoughts

So I am already several weeks from playing with this stuff. Astrotracing does not work for me (clumsy hands?) but, some thoughts.

1. If you want to use for travelling and geotagging - don't. Somehow it turns of from time to time as camera goes to sleeps and I would assume that I just point and shot, surprise surprise. You have to always check that unit did not turn off and that there is a GPS position lock.

2. Well, tried several times, no luck with astrotracing (not much due to infinity) but yes, long exposure times it does compensate.

My verdict along with Pentax KP.

1. If you need geotagging - add some more bucks and buy camera with built in GPS.
2. Upgrade for astrotracing - good choice.

08-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My K-5 with O-GPS1 was finicky. Some nights I'd have to keep rotating the camera around many times to get it to calibrate. My K-1 with built-in astrotracer is much more dependable and accurate.

(I don't use geotagging so don't have an opinion on that.)
08-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm surprised, my K-3ii locks VERY quickly--usually within 5 seconds or less. I guess the O-GPS1 doesn't work as well. I geotag almost all of photos, even the film photos.
08-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
So I am already several weeks from playing with this stuff. Astrotracing does not work for me (clumsy hands?) but, some thoughts.

1. If you want to use for travelling and geotagging - don't. Somehow it turns of from time to time as camera goes to sleeps and I would assume that I just point and shot, surprise surprise. You have to always check that unit did not turn off and that there is a GPS position lock.

2. Well, tried several times, no luck with astrotracing (not much due to infinity) but yes, long exposure times it does compensate.

My verdict along with Pentax KP.

1. If you need geotagging - add some more bucks and buy camera with built in GPS.
2. Upgrade for astrotracing - good choice.
Maybe it has something to do with your geographic location - I see you are in Russia, Moscow - Maybe the GPS satellites over where you are are less accurate or compromised compared to satellites over other parts of the world.

Regards

Chris

08-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The O-GPS1 seems more sensitive to being indoors, and the GPS signal is more likely blocked in those cases.
08-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Maybe it has something to do with your geographic location - I see you are in Russia, Moscow - Maybe the GPS satellites over where you are are less accurate or compromised compared to satellites over other parts of the world.

Regards

Chris
From over a week I am on Europe. Problem stays like this. First lock took 4 minutes.

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3 через Tapatalk