Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waterproof Lens Covers?

Ok, before I go and google and see if this is a thing, I'm just wondering if anyone here uses something akin to the subject line for their Pentax cameras/lenses?

I currently own a DFA 100/2.8 Macro, that doesn't see much action, I'm kinda keeping it around for the WR properties (suffice to say I haven't actually exercised it in any rain or wet weather tho ), but I do occasionally shoot events, and if it rains I will want to have some kind of means to keep 'doing the job'. But is that enough of a reason to hold onto it... can I get by with my other lenses if there exists some kind of waterproof sleeving?

My K-1 is WR, so I have seen a lot of those 'entire' camera waterproof type things which in my case is not required (and they seem really bad because you can't see the dials or Live View screen), but I have a heap of manual focus glass (some with and without A settings), I might flog the DFA 100 if I think I can manage to find some type of decent weather proofing sleeve or something intended for lenses?

Does such a think exist? DIY job?

TIA!

Bruce

08-27-2018, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First I would urge caution about the weather resistance of the body. A day in the rain is likely to test its abilities and if the WR fails, it isn't covered on the warranty. There is a sticky you should check out on the Pentax DSLR forum: About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - PentaxForums.com

Secondly, yes a lot of people have used an old or cheap UV filter as a donor to attach a polythene bag to that can then screw on to the lens and be used to cover the body.
08-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ok, before I go and google and see if this is a thing, I'm just wondering if anyone here uses something akin to the subject line for their Pentax cameras/lenses?

I currently own a DFA 100/2.8 Macro, that doesn't see much action, I'm kinda keeping it around for the WR properties (suffice to say I haven't actually exercised it in any rain or wet weather tho ), but I do occasionally shoot events, and if it rains I will want to have some kind of means to keep 'doing the job'. But is that enough of a reason to hold onto it... can I get by with my other lenses if there exists some kind of waterproof sleeving?

My K-1 is WR, so I have seen a lot of those 'entire' camera waterproof type things which in my case is not required (and they seem really bad because you can't see the dials or Live View screen), but I have a heap of manual focus glass (some with and without A settings), I might flog the DFA 100 if I think I can manage to find some type of decent weather proofing sleeve or something intended for lenses?

Does such a think exist? DIY job?

TIA!

Bruce
Tips to Protect your Gear in Harsh Weather Conditions

old school tech

rain sleeve for cameras - Bing images
08-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Several years ago I used clear rain sleeves on my K20D and DA55-300 since the lens was not sealed. They were cheap and worked fine, I think they were made by Optec. Lenscoat makes all types of neoprene lens sleeves, but I'm not sure if they cover the mount, I think they are more to protect from bumps and scratches, and to provide something to buy for big lens bird shooters.

08-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

JJC make a variety of OK and quite cheap (on eBay) weather-proof lens covers that I've used.

Camera Rain Cover - JJC

Rain Cover is designed for small SLR cameras - JJC
08-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the rare occasion when I've needed a "rain coat" for my lenses I've simply used a large plastic bag. I did go and buy a Lens Coat - LensCoat - for my long telephoto and have never had to use it.
08-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #7

ewa-marine: Underwater housings & rain capes for all cameras

08-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks.. I was trying to think of how to use my many manual focus lenses in inclement weather, and perhaps one of these inexpensive JJC items could work if a jerry rigged zip lock doesn't..!!
08-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all those links! I think this looks pretty good; http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoat�-raincoat-small-p-1731.html

If it can open enough to allow both hands access inside, one for focus ring, the other for controls, I think that would work out pretty well. Now I just need to an XS version to fit the DA 40mm XS
08-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My weather resistant technique is a bag with a hole cut in it and one of those silicone wristbands to secure it to the front of the lens.
08-27-2018, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
...I have seen a lot of those 'entire' camera waterproof type things which in my case is not required (and they seem really bad because you can't see the dials or Live View screen)...
Here's a transparent plastic bag so you can see the controls. The front drawstring tightens around your lens hood. Ruggard RC-P18 Rain Cover for DSLR with Lens up to RC-P18 B&H

Probably made in the same factory as the JJC link, above.
08-28-2018, 04:24 AM   #12

The Ewa-Marine rain capes should have enough room in the bottom opening (when unsnapped) for both hands. There is a clear area for the viewfinder.
08-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have used the OP Tech Rainsleeve on multiple occasions. This and any of these covers will provide a bit of help in light rain, but keep in mind that there is no way to seal the front element - that will always be open to moisture. They do have ties or you could use rubber bands to give it as tight of a fit as you can around the barrel, but it still won't stop everything. You're also almost guaranteed to battle fog as well. I don't use them any more. It must not fit your type of photography, but that D-DA 100mm 2.8 WR is one of my favorite lenses of all time... nice and sharp with some of the smoothest bokeh I've seen. I'd never consider using it for events though... at least not as an AF lens... it hunts way too much and it is a LOUD trip from front to back. I've scared bears off with that thing.
08-28-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Here's a transparent plastic bag so you can see the controls. The front drawstring tightens around your lens hood. Ruggard RC-P18 Rain Cover for DSLR with Lens up to RC-P18 B&H

Probably made in the same factory as the JJC link, above.
Yeah I never considered the transparent angle but yeh it's probably quite important. The whole long sleeve thing seems a little overkill tho, I wonder if I can just cut it to a more suitable length.

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
I have used the OP Tech Rainsleeve on multiple occasions. This and any of these covers will provide a bit of help in light rain, but keep in mind that there is no way to seal the front element - that will always be open to moisture. They do have ties or you could use rubber bands to give it as tight of a fit as you can around the barrel, but it still won't stop everything. You're also almost guaranteed to battle fog as well. I don't use them any more. It must not fit your type of photography, but that D-DA 100mm 2.8 WR is one of my favorite lenses of all time... nice and sharp with some of the smoothest bokeh I've seen. I'd never consider using it for events though... at least not as an AF lens... it hunts way too much and it is a LOUD trip from front to back. I've scared bears off with that thing.
Oh believe me, I am sorry to see it go, but really it's just not fitting well in my overall arc or lenses I have collected. I've used it successfully in past events such as loud rock concerts, where the AF noise is not an issue, in public speaking events I tend to monopod and manual focus with it;

But now I have a Samyang 85/1.4, which replaces it from a portrait perspective, and I have a HD DA 35/2.8 Macro which provides multiple uses such as landscape, group and single portraits (with background context) as well as Macro. Really my DFA 100 is collecting dust and that's a crime! It should go to a good home, I just don't have time to shoot small bugs and insects with it, and my Macro needs are met with the HD DA 35 as most of the time it's static inanimate objects such as wedding rings etc. But I agree, it's a wickedly good lens.
11-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just wanted people to know, I think I will be coming up with my own version of this kinda setup;

Will keep you posted how I go. I don't intend to go quite so much trouble as this guy, but yeh a umbrella in the hotshoe seems like a great idea.