Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
soft case for Pentax ME Super

Years ago, Pentax used to have an owners club. They would send out a magazine every so often and in the back there would be listings of deals on over-stock gear and such. I'd bought several items out of there, but one particular item is something I've never seen again. I'm not 100% sure it's a genuine Pentax item, but I think it was because it was sold through the Pentax owners' club. What it is is a soft case made specifically for the Pentax ME Super. It's not the usual Eveready type of case though. This case has a bottom like a regular soft case, but the top is different. It's designed to be left on the camera and protect it while you're shooting. The top attaches to the bottom by Velcro and has an opening in the front so you can change out lenses without removing the camera body from the case. So the camera body ends up being covered, but the lens is not. There's also a flap on top that you can unsnap so you can have access to the film advance, shutter release, and camera controls. There's a hole that fits over the eyepiece so you can see through the camera with the case attached as well. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'll try to dig mine out and post pictures in the next day or so. I've been trying to figure out how rare this thing is, but I can't find any information on it.

08-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Years ago, Pentax used to have an owners club. They would send out a magazine every so often and in the back there would be listings of deals on over-stock gear and such. I'd bought several items out of there, but one particular item is something I've never seen again. I'm not 100% sure it's a genuine Pentax item, but I think it was because it was sold through the Pentax owners' club. What it is is a soft case made specifically for the Pentax ME Super. It's not the usual Eveready type of case though. This case has a bottom like a regular soft case, but the top is different. It's designed to be left on the camera and protect it while you're shooting. The top attaches to the bottom by Velcro and has an opening in the front so you can change out lenses without removing the camera body from the case. So the camera body ends up being covered, but the lens is not. There's also a flap on top that you can unsnap so you can have access to the film advance, shutter release, and camera controls. There's a hole that fits over the eyepiece so you can see through the camera with the case attached as well. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'll try to dig mine out and post pictures in the next day or so. I've been trying to figure out how rare this thing is, but I can't find any information on it.
Sounds like case number 5 in this picture, taken from a Pentax lens guide in 1977:

Phil.
Attached Images

08-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, that's it! Thank you! You have no idea how long this has bugged me. It was a very cool design and I've wondered why they didn't make them for more cameras. Not enough of a market, I'm assuming.
08-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Yes, that's it! Thank you! You have no idea how long this has bugged me. It was a very cool design and I've wondered why they didn't make them for more cameras. Not enough of a market, I'm assuming.
Yes some of the non standard camera cases were pretty rare and I have never seen the one you have.

I do have case 4, the jumbo one for longer lenses.

Phil.

08-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure I have or had one of those, I'll try to dig it out later tonight if I get time.
08-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also known as the Pentax quiet action case

Have one, very useful when shutter noise needed to be reduced.