Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Here is a couple examples of a waterfall shot I had taken with my Haida 10-stop filter.
I love the smooth water look, but those seem like too much of a good thing.

08-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I am planning on buying a graduated ND filter for landscapes so that I don't end up with skies that are blown out / areas below horizon left muddled and overly dark. This is probably more important to film shooters where combining two bracketed shots isn't so easy vs. digital photos & tools. I have already picked up a 3-stop and 6-stop filter pair for playing with.
Not only is it easy to combine bracketed shots, but if you're shooting RAW you can brighten up the shadows quite a bit as long as you're at the lowest ISO.
08-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #18
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
those seem like too much of a good thing
thanks? hahaha I guess it's not for everyone :P
08-31-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haida are known as good value for the money. I have a 10 stop Haida Nano Pro and it works well. Or, you can usually get away with a variable filter as long as you aren't going ultra-wide. I've used one with the 18-55 kit lens and had no problems.

08-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a couple examples of a waterfall shot I had taken with my Haida 10-stop filter.
While I like the water but it looks like things weren't quite stable enough as the rock faces seem just a bit blurry but it might be the down sampling. Now I want to go out this weekend and simulate a 10 stop ND filter and compare results. I will probably stick my 2 stop ND filter on and probably a polarize as well to get around 4 stops so I only have to take ~64 images instead of over 1000. In the end I will probably end up taking over 100 to really play.
08-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #21
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
While I like the water but it looks like things weren't quite stable enough as the rock faces seem just a bit blurry but it might be the down sampling. Now I want to go out this weekend and simulate a 10 stop ND filter and compare results. I will probably stick my 2 stop ND filter on and probably a polarize as well to get around 4 stops so I only have to take ~64 images instead of over 1000. In the end I will probably end up taking over 100 to really play.
Yeah there may have been a bit of wobble. I was on a mountain hike and there were many waterfalls. I'd set my tripod down snap one (1) picture and move on

Different strokes for different folks!
08-31-2018, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

With digital you can simulate that easy enough by just stacking enough shorter exposures. It gets easier if you can stick an ND filter in front to start with like a 2 or 3 stop one but it is entirely doable. That is unless you are trying to take a sun picture in which case go get some real solar film.
You get similar images with that tecnique when photographing moving water and/or clouds or something similar, but to chapture light trails from moving cars you have to either stop down the lens as far as it goes or use an ND filter or even both (depending on how long your exposure has to be) otherwise your trails will be interrupted whenever your new picture starts.

133 sec exposure:

08-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
You get similar images with that tecnique when photographing moving water and/or clouds or something similar, but to chapture light trails from moving cars you have to either stop down the lens as far as it goes or use an ND filter or even both (depending on how long your exposure has to be)
I've used a similar method for star trails but instead will do one or 2 stacks. If just one I blend lighten and the the trails become clear, if 2 one is blend average and the other is blend lighten then I just mask in the trails. To capture light trails from cars it might be more difficult but stopping down the lens some, sticking a 2 stop ND filter in there, shooting at base ISO and stacking would likely work much the same as what I have done for star trails.
08-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I've used a similar method for star trails but instead will do one or 2 stacks. If just one I blend lighten and the the trails become clear, if 2 one is blend average and the other is blend lighten then I just mask in the trails. To capture light trails from cars it might be more difficult but stopping down the lens some, sticking a 2 stop ND filter in there, shooting at base ISO and stacking would likely work much the same as what I have done for star trails.
Given enough time and Photoshop knowledge it is certainly doable without ND filters, but I am lazy and prefer to get it right from the beginning
08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you get a variable nd that has a wide stop range, like a 1 to 10 stop vnd, you're more likely to get the "shaded X" around the 7-stop mark & up, it'll be less likely to happen with a VND with a like a 5-stop range. But as usual it all depends on the brand of filter you get.
08-31-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Given enough time and Photoshop knowledge it is certainly doable without ND filters, but I am lazy and prefer to get it right from the beginning
I'm a cheap bastard who likes tinkering so it works for me.
08-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I've had success with the Formatt Hitech and B+W brands. Reasonable blend of price, image quality, build quality.
08-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #28
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish my local camera store carried a better variety.
We only get Cokin or Lee - quite polar opposites!
08-31-2018, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish my local camera store carried a better variety.
I wish my local camera store carried a greater variety of styles. If you want a 1, 2, or maybe 3 stop regular ND filter, a variable ND filter, UV, polarizer, or tungsten filter they have it and have several grades and brands but get outside of that and you get nothing. I should maybe try West Photo but their website is crap for showing what they have and I don't want to drive all the way up there for nothing.
08-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B+W for me - no colour cast. However, these shots are perhaps becoming a little cliched, I feel. For the last few years there are usually a few in each photo magazine I've looked at. It's noticeable that major photo competitions I've seen don't feature them much nowadays, which suggests to me they've peaked. They do look good though ;-)