Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #31

I have a 10 stop Haida Nano Pro. Most reviews I've seen find that the Haida's are good value for the money. I also have a variable ND on my kit lens. I've never had issues with the X appearing, but my understanding is that the X occurs at ultra wide focal lengths.

08-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #32

I did a lot of research on this topic, and chose the 10 stop Haida Nano Pro, as best quality, with least color cast for a reasonable price. I have tried the process of combining multiple exposures using 3 stop + polarizer, and my experience is that clouds or waves end up with a stuttered looks to them. It works better with waterfalls.
08-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't use them that much and just have 8x Hoya (3 stop) which cost under $20 for a 49mm a few years ago. They seem to work just fine. Sometimes I have used a polarizer with one.
08-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I have read good things about Hoya ProND filters (low to no color cast) so i bought a 10 stop and a Kenko 3 stop filter (hoya branded for japan iirc), for about 35€. I did not have a chance to use them that much but they seem solid.

edit: i bought them fpr my limiteds. I will post a sample soon.

08-31-2018, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Brooke Meyer

I use the 4 stop in this affordable Tiffen Kit ( 67mm size) on my 50-135 & 28-75 with K3II bodies for Sunny 16 portraits at 2.8 with flash. Works well and they can be stacked for a 9 stop. Good technique means also using your lens hood.

Tiffen 58mm ND Kit

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 10-23-2018 at 09:08 AM.
08-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #36
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Sunny 16 portraits
Great shot! well done!
08-31-2018, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Here is a couple examples of a waterfall shot I had taken with my Haida 10-stop filter.
These are lovely!
Wish we had waterfalls near us!

08-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddbarchitect Quote
I did a lot of research on this topic, and chose the 10 stop Haida Nano Pro, as best quality, with least color cast for a reasonable price. I have tried the process of combining multiple exposures using 3 stop + polarizer, and my experience is that clouds or waves end up with a stuttered looks to them. It works better with waterfalls.
interesting, what do you mean stuttered? I'll probably be using it for waves as I live so close to the ocean...
08-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
You get similar images with that tecnique when photographing moving water and/or clouds or something similar, but to chapture light trails from moving cars you have to either stop down the lens as far as it goes or use an ND filter or even both (depending on how long your exposure has to be) otherwise your trails will be interrupted whenever your new picture starts.

133 sec exposure:
very creative!
That's a good use of an ND filter in my opinion!
08-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Actually, I had no idea what these things cost. I got them for free together when buying my fa31 2ndhand..
I just checked. the B&w ones i have don't seem that expensive to me & they are really good.

Be careful on the filter size. maybe better to go for 52mm and use a step up ring, unless they all are really 49 & you have no plans to acquire lenses with bigger size..
All those lenses I have are actual 49mm filter size, but a 52 with step up wouldn't be a particular bad idea I suppose...
Any idea if any of those lenses have issues with step up rings and their built in hoods?

I could always pick up a cheap step up ring off eBay and check myself..
08-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
very creative!That's a good use of an ND filter in my opinion!
Thank you.

All those lenses I have are actual 49mm filter size, but a 52 with step up wouldn't be a particular bad idea I suppose...Any idea if any of those lenses have issues with step up rings and their built in hoods?I could always pick up a cheap step up ring off eBay and check myself..
I have 52mm ND filters. The built in hood of my Cosina Cosinon-T 135mm won't work with them attached
08-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot I had some cash sitting in my PayPal account!

I just grabbed a Haida 49mm Slim Pro II Solid Neutral Density 1.8 Filter (6 Stops) to test out.
See if I need more or less light and go from there!
08-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All I can say is don't get a really cheap filter as I have had no end of issues with colour cast problems (that can be difficult to correct for) - ideally use filters people have used and recommend.
08-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
All I can say is don't get a really cheap filter as I have had no end of issues with colour cast problems (that can be difficult to correct for) - ideally use filters people have used and recommend.
It's not just color casts. Any piece of glass you add to the lens has the potential to add flare, distortion, or blur.
08-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #45
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

These are lovely!
Wish we had waterfalls near us!
Thanks a bunch!