Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which Circular Polarizer should I get?

I'm deciding between the "B+W 77mm MRC SLIM Circular Polarizer" ($135) and the "HOYA 77mm S-HMC Circular Polarizer SUPER Filter THIN" ($93.50)

Here are the URLs for HVstar.net, where I'm shopping:

B+W 77mm MRC SLIM Circular Polarizer Filter NEW *

HOYA 77mm S-HMC Circular Polarizer SUPER Filter THIN

I need a Circular Polarizer for the Sigma 17-70mm I picked up a couple months back. I used to use one with my kit lens, and it made a world of difference. I know this is necessary, and I'm willing to pay the money for the top of the line, so it's not a big issue.

BUT, is it worth $40 to get the B+W over the Hoya?

I love the B+W UV filter I've got, and I'm not a huge fan of my Hoya 52mm Circular Polarizer (but it's the cheap one, the Pro1 Digital), so I thin I'm leaning in the B+W's direction. I don't want to just waste $40 though if it doesn't help image quality...

Any advice is most appreciated!!

EDIT: Before someone points it out... I know the Sigma 17-70 is 72mm filter thread, but I plan on getting either the Sigma 10-20mm or the Pentax 12-24 within a few months, both of which are 77mm thread size. So, I'm picking up the filter now that will work for both lenses, and grabbing a 72 to 77mm step up ring while I'm at it. Thanks!!

-Tim

09-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have both the Sigma 17-70 & 10-20 & use Hoya Pro 1 D polarisers on both, I find them excellent. I've previously had one of the thin B+W ones & just couldn't get on with it, polarisation just didn't sdeem right somehow ??

simon
09-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks Simon!

I guess I'll save myself some money and go witht he Hoya- though you're saying that the Thin filters don't polarize as well as regular?

Do you get a lot of vignetting on the 10-20 and the wide end of the 17-70?

I appreciate your help!
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Wow! Thanks Simon!

I guess I'll save myself some money and go witht he Hoya- though you're saying that the Thin filters don't polarize as well as regular?

Do you get a lot of vignetting on the 10-20 and the wide end of the 17-70?

I appreciate your help!

At the apertures I normally use F8/F11/F16 I've never had any vignetting with the 10-20 or 17-70.
I'm guessing wide open the 10-20 may show a little perhaps ?

simon

09-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I prefer the 'regular' size to the thin, but just for personal preference is using. I have 2 x b+w thins and 1 hoya pro1, they are different sizes so on different lenses, but in the limited amount of comparison I cant pick the difference optically. (perhaps it would show up more in wider angles / lower light etc. not sure?). Also many people report that kenko pro1 & hoya pro1 are the same thing under different brands and different prices
09-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the advice guys!

I ended up going with the 77mm Hoya Pro 1D. Since you guys like it- I'm going to give it another shot.

The 52mm one I have works pretty well, it just doesn't feel as sturdy as my heavy B+W Haze filter (but that's a 72mm filter), so perhaps it's just the size difference...

I'll be sure to post some shots when it arrives from Hong Kong!
09-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd recommend taking the camera and lens to the store and trying out a linear polarizer on it. You may save yourself a nice bundle of dough.

09-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'd recommend taking the camera and lens to the store and trying out a linear polarizer on it. You may save yourself a nice bundle of dough.
Found this out in regard to my Super Taks ... my local camera store guy mentioned there was no real need for CPLs on my older glass ... and after taking his word for it I tried it. Worked a treat.

But the moral of the story ... try before you buy.