Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Billingham 307L Camera Bag Overview

If you're interested in the Billingham 307L camera bag look no further than my quick overview of the bag here.

Although I show it with my Fuji gear it will easily swallow up a Pentax K-3 and lenses with no problem.

09-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That bag seems to carry a good amount of gear, be great to see it full of Pentax stuff. How easy is the access to gear when carrying the bag?

Do you still have the F-Stop 1.4 bag? If not what was your decision there?

Billingham make the best bags
09-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
That bag seems to carry a good amount of gear, be great to see it full of Pentax stuff. How easy is the access to gear when carrying the bag?

Do you still have the F-Stop 1.4 bag? If not what was your decision there?

Billingham make the best bags
I sold the Billingham f/stop 1.4 because I no longer have my Pentax K-3 and lenses. I switched to the "Dark Side". Fuji So as you know the f/stop 1.4 is wider than the Hadley Pro and worked fantastic for my K-3 system. Unfortunately it's not quite the right size for my Fuji system so I ended up purchasing the 307L to fit ALL my Fuji gear into. Since I already have the Billingham L2 and Hadley Digital, I didn't really need another smaller bag to work out of. What I really needed was a travel and transport bag for the Fuji stuff.

To answer your question regarding access to your equipment when carrying the bag, as long as you have the top flap open and tucked on the inside, it's rather easy to access the gear through the zipper opening since the bag uses carbon fiber rods to keep the bag "open" when accessing the gear. Personally I think the bag is a bit large to shoulder wear it all day but that's a personal preference.

I looked closely at the Billingham 225 and 335, but felt the 225 was a bit small for all my gear, and the 335 does not have a laptop carry cushion mounted inside. And of course the $349 price tag of the bag was also a strong reason I purchased it over the 335. It was nearly $100 cheaper.

I also looked at the Domke F2 but ultimately it failed for several reasons. Not enough cushion/protection, no laptop space, and much smaller than the Billingham 307L. I do own several Domkes and love them but they weren't quite right for what I needed them for. But, the price is great, especially on the used market. If money was a factor I'd go with the Domke F2. No question. And just work around it's shortcomings.
09-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that, and confirming the suitability of the F-Stop 1.4 for the K-3 system.

I was looking at the smaller bag in the video, thinking the Hadley Digital might be good for taking just one camera and lens, eg. the K-3 and say the 18-135.

The 307L looks like a good bag for carrying all stuff.

09-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Billingham 550 that has served me well since the 80's, swallows everything I have from the days of the LX to todays K1, great company making quality items, thanks for the review on this model
09-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I was looking at the smaller bag in the video, thinking the Hadley Digital might be good for taking just one camera and lens, eg. the K-3 and say the 18-135.
I think the Digital might be a tight fit but doable for the K-3. The 18-135 lens shouldn't be a problem as the bag is rather deep which I like. I really liked the Billingham L2 or Alice for my K-3 as it is wide and you can easily get the camera with a lens attached in and out. If money is tight don't forget to check out the Domke F9 as it is very similar to the Billingham Hadley Digital.

Here's my youtube review of the Billingham L2 or Alice with my K-3.

And here's a review of the Domke F9 albeit with a Fuji system but the K-3 should be close.

I've yet to do a review on the Hadley Digital but I'll get to it someday

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 06:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I have a Billingham 550 that has served me well since the 80's, swallows everything I have from the days of the LX to todays K1, great company making quality items, thanks for the review on this model
So how do you use your Billingham 550? Is it just a place to store your gear at home or do you take it out?

If you do take it out do you actually wear it on your shoulder all day and work out of it or do you just leave it on location (I'm thinking friends,siblings or work place) and just grab whatever gear you need and either transfer it to a smaller bag or just take the camera out on a strap?
09-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I think the Digital might be a tight fit but doable for the K-3. The 18-135 lens shouldn't be a problem as the bag is rather deep which I like. I really liked the Billingham L2 or Alice for my K-3 as it is wide and you can easily get the camera with a lens attached in and out. If money is tight don't forget to check out the Domke F9 as it is very similar to the Billingham Hadley Digital.

Here's my youtube review of the Billingham L2 or Alice with my K-3. Billingham Alice L2 Review - YouTube

And here's a review of the Domke F9 albeit with a Fuji system but the K-3 should be close. Domke F9 Camera Bag Review with Fuji X-T1 - YouTube

I've yet to do a review on the Hadley Digital but I'll get to it someday

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 06:39 PM ----------

So how do you use your Billingham 550? Is it just a place to store your gear at home or do you take it out?

If you do take it out do you actually wear it on your shoulder all day and work out of it or do you just leave it on location (I'm thinking friends,siblings or work place) and just grab whatever gear you need and either transfer it to a smaller bag or just take the camera out on a strap?
The 550 carries it all, no computer comes with me, so that means it has sort of curved around to fit my rounded self! I can spend 4 days trudging around a Formula 1 racetrack and by the end of the 4th day I suddenly see the bruises on my shoulder, I haven't missed a shot by not having the right lens with me though. I just love the space inside the main compartment as well as the add on pockets at either end, great company with great products. I figure the bag has only cost me $10 per year, talk about good value

10-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

I also looked at the Domke F2 but ultimately it failed for several reasons. Not enough cushion/protection, no laptop space, and much smaller than the Billingham 307L. I do own several Domkes and love them but they weren't quite right for what I needed them for. But, the price is great, especially on the used market. If money was a factor I'd go with the Domke F2. No question. And just work around it's shortcomings.
I'm a fan of Domke F2 Original bag, but having said that I haven't found many, if any bags with what I consider adequate padding/cushion/protection and that includes my F2. But what I do with every bag and right now that includes a no name aluminum case, two F2's, a host of LowePro, a Kata bag, which I sold and an a old Cullman bag...I add extra cushion/padding with squarish, rectangular Frank brand sponges...which I buy in packages from my local Canadian Tire store.

The sponges are fairly dense, soft to the touch, absorb vibration and shock to a certain degree and also keep things in place. I always cut the sponges in half and 'floor' all my bags with additional padding and then wedge equipment in tight with additional full or half sponges. It works well and I can remove and replace the padding quickly and easily.

I looked at part of your review and the Billingham I note it also has a very similar insert that my F2's have. If I had the Billingham I would be adding additional padding as I do now.

The Domke F2 strap is quite good, material excellent.

After 50 years of being on a quest for the perfect bag...I know I haven't yet found it...but my Domke F2 and my padding mods are the closest I come yet. My quest continues and I don't have the expectation that I will ever come across the perfect bag/case for cameras.

The reason for my passion for equipment protection is simple. Years ago, I didn't have adequate protection for my cameras/lenses and as a result...damage.

BTW, my wife's Apple Tablet fits snugly in the back pocket of the Domke F2 bag.
12-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dear Garywakeling

I have the 550 and 335 (and some Hadleys and etc.) also since days in the dim and dark distance. I used them as a standard bag during analog times with LXes and MXes with MDs etc. But today's lenses are so bulky, that I increasingly switch to other bags, which sport wider lens compartments (like some bigger Lowepro bags or the Kata 3N1) or basically anything with moveable inserts. How do you deal with that?
Regards,
Ben
12-17-2018, 02:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Dear Garywakeling

I have the 550 and 335 (and some Hadleys and etc.) also since days in the dim and dark distance. I used them as a standard bag during analog times with LXes and MXes with MDs etc. But today's lenses are so bulky, that I increasingly switch to other bags, which sport wider lens compartments (like some bigger Lowepro bags or the Kata 3N1) or basically anything with moveable inserts. How do you deal with that?
Regards,
Ben
My 550 can fit anything in it, rather than the fixed compartments that later models used, mine has closed cell foam dividing the middle of the main compartment with movable dividers along it to vary the size inside, I also have the extra compartments at each end of the main bag. Larger lenses can lay across the top of the bag. My 150-450 fits in this way so unless you use something larger I can't see a problem.
Cheers Gary
12-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 550 can fit anything in it, rather than the fixed compartments that later models used, mine has closed cell foam dividing the middle of the main compartment with movable dividers along it to vary the size inside, I also have the extra compartments at each end of the main bag. Larger lenses can lay across the top of the bag. My 150-450 fits in this way so unless you use something larger I can't see a problem.
Cheers Gary
Dear Gary

My 550 is from 1989 I think. At that time, the inserts were all fixed and Billingham developed moveable dividers much later, to my knowledge.
Regards,
Ben