Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 03:03 AM   #1

Manfrotto Compact Advanced alternative in similar price

Hi Pentaxians!

I want buy my first and budget tripod.

I would use them with: Pentax K3 II + grip and Pentax lens: 77/1.8 ltd and 100/2.8 macro. Because I don't have a lot of money I have to limit target price. I want 3-way head and tripod on price around 90 $. My another expectations: tilt front/back -30/+90, right/left - 30, +90 degree, lift enought to work with my camera and lens. It will be nice if I could use flash 540 FGZ with it, but it is not necessary. Total tripod weight is not issue, because is more stationary move to another location with car, but more times try astrophotography around home, bugs and flowers with wired trigger etc. so weight below 20 kg, and better less than 10 kg will be optimal for me. Tripod material is for me neutral. I don't want walk them more than half kilometer from car. Probably the most used position will be camera 1,5m above ground ( I'm 1,9m tall).

On the future I want buy better tripod after buying good telephoto lens so now is not problem if not lift more than I write above. I think it is optimal tripod on this price with my expectations, but I have questions:

1. Could you recommended better tripod with head for similar price?
2. Is it enought to safe work with my equipment?

09-03-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
I got a Manfrotto 290 with ball head for 85 usd on amazon, last year. If you shop around, I'm sure you'll get similar prices.

The build quality is so high, I wouldn't ever consider lesser products/brands
09-03-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
I got a Manfrotto 290 with ball head for 85 usd on amazon, last year. If you shop around, I'm sure you'll get similar prices.

The build quality is so high, I wouldn't ever consider lesser products/brands
The 290 seems to have gone up. The Amazon and Adorama and B&H prices are closer to $125-135 with a ball head and $150-175 with a 3-way head.

I would personally recommend looking for a used Bogen or Manfrotto. Even with shipping on eBay I'm setting tons in their price range requested. I suggest at least the 3020 or 3021 series. These are beefy and while a tad heavy not insane. Avoid fluid head models unless you know you want that type.
09-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
pxt

Original Poster
My local Pentax guys recommended on the budget Weiffeng (Fancier) WT-666 and Genesis ABT. I'm thinking about too.

09-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #5

I had a Bogen 3020 with the 3028 3D head until someone broke into the trunk of my car and stole it. Nice tripod and head but I opted for a larger tripod with a traditional 3-way head for the replacement. Sometimes I regret the much larger, heavier legs and head but it is easier positioning the camera with the three way than the 3D head for macro work.

The 3020 is a good choice with the 3029 3-way head. The 3047 head might be a bit big for the 3020 legs but it does have a (hex) quick release plate.
09-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheap quality tripod

Shopgoodwill often has quality tripods going for low price. They don't know or list specs so you have to do an internet search for details when you find one. If it fits your needs place a bid.