Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HoverGlide backpack

Not so heavy camerabags in the future if HoverGlide makes a camerabag?

Hoverglide ? World?s 1st ?floating? Backpack

09-03-2018, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so.... something that is still in concept form?
09-03-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
so.... something that is still in concept form?
14 days to go... Looks well beyond concept.
09-03-2018, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Interesting idea if running in a straight line on relatively smooth ground. Concerns after viewing their website:
  • Does a bouncing center of gravity impair travel on uneven terrain? Can you turn to avoid a hazard?
  • "KickStarter"
  • "Our pack was tested in tough conditions by both the US Marines and the US Army." Okay, what's the result of those tests? If the tests went well they should have a big customer and wouldn't need KickStarter.

09-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No thanks for me, as a hiker there's a reason one wants packs tight to their body. This moving pack would change one's balance, especially moving through technical terrain. Also I imagine those rails would bend easily, rendering the whole idea kaput.
09-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No thanks for me, as a hiker there's a reason one wants packs tight to their body. This moving pack would change one's balance, especially moving through technical terrain. Also I imagine those rails would bend easily, rendering the whole idea kaput.
Exactly. Interesting idea, but I agree about it changing one's balance. Not good.
09-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see people trying to bring ideas to life. How is it when walking in a normal pace? Wouldn't it wobble even more if you walk slowly uphill or downhill? Those videos promote the product for the use-case of running fast with a backpack. I've never seen people doing that (other than being late and trying to catch the train).

09-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering all serious backpacks moved away from external frame to internal frame a long time ago this is an interesting twist. I can see this working in some situations but the moving parts aspect will also attract dirt and be a potential failure point.
09-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You are still carrying the weight and your knees know it. Standard jog trot instead of a flat out run would probably drive you put of synch. I am pretty certain the marines broke it many times and it never saw use where folks were shooting at them. You never want new crap on real world missions unless it has been tested HARD!

s/ Oooh! it holds 55 whole pounds! (Sarcasm off now!) They don't carry much!