Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA 35mm Macro Ltd and Lee filters.

Decided to invest in an ND filter system. Went to the Lee website. Went into their "find the system that's right for you." Or what ever it's called. Clicked "Pentax." Clicked "Prime lenses." Clicked "Focal Length 26-49." Clicked "35mm f/2.8 Macro DA Ltd." The result? "Not compatible." I have a bunch of lenses that take 49mm threaded filters. Lee sells a 49mm adapter ring. Can anybody help me out here? Am I missing something or is their compatibility chart screwed up? Thanks

Dave.

09-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Did you try another lens? I have Cokin p filters, and with the da 15, which also has a built in hood, you can't screw in the adapter directly, it needs more space so I use a uv filter.
09-03-2018, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they're compatibility chart is screwed up. I use the Lee 100mm system with my lenses, included my M20mm F4 lens, that has a 49mm filter thread. I just purchased a few step down rings to allow the Lee system to work with the smaller filter size. WPRESTO turned me onto this site for adapter rings. AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings. They have a lot of size options. Also, you might check out FilterDude - Affordable Photography Accessories for less expensive pieces of kit. All Lee compatible.

On the smaller diameter lenses, using the ND filters is sort of a no brainer. Using the 100mm grad filters is a little trickier (doable but trickier). So I tend not to use the Lee grads very often on the smaller lenses.
09-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I think they're compatibility chart is screwed up. I use the Lee 100mm system with my lenses, included my M20mm F4 lens, that has a 49mm filter thread. I just purchased a few step down rings to allow the Lee system to work with the smaller filter size. WPRESTO turned me onto this site for adapter rings. AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings. They have a lot of size options. Also, you might check out FilterDude - Affordable Photography Accessories for less expensive pieces of kit. All Lee compatible.

On the smaller diameter lenses, using the ND filters is sort of a no brainer. Using the 100mm grad filters is a little trickier (doable but trickier). So I tend not to use the Lee grads very often on the smaller lenses.
From one David to another. Thanks for the info. The "not compatible" message just didn't make sense to me. I've used a 49mm CP filter on my 35mm Macro Ltd. Lee sells a 49mm adapter ring for their 100 series filters. The kit isn't cheap so I wanted to get feed back from other Pentaxians before I pull the trigger. Thanks for your help.

09-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No direct experience with the Lee filters, but
I'm betting the "not compatible" message is coming due to the built-in hood, though you can push it back, and use the large filters without the built-in hood extended.I just looked at mine, and I don't see any reason that any 49mm filter or ring should not fit.
I've switched my cap over to an older clip-on cap from one of my 49mm M-mount lenses; that nice metal cap that came with it won't stay on, and I was afraid to lose it.
09-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
No direct experience with the Lee filters, but
I'm betting the "not compatible" message is coming due to the built-in hood, though you can push it back, and use the large filters without the built-in hood extended.I just looked at mine, and I don't see any reason that any 49mm filter or ring should not fit.
I've switched my cap over to an older clip-on cap from one of my 49mm M-mount lenses; that nice metal cap that came with it won't stay on, and I was afraid to lose it.
I appreciate your input. You're probably right. Has something to do with the built in hood. Apparently, according to Lee, the shutter will not release without the hood extended.
09-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think that Lee Filters refers to incompatibility issue when lens is focused close by that you might have vignetting or corners of the filter might be visible and you have to look for wide angle adapter but also then there might be some issues with corners... I did have that issue with Cookin Filters system on some lenses.

I have recently got Nisi Filter (10-stop) in 67mm but slim one that have to be screwed and did check all lenses with it. Currently I looking into placing order for Nisi ND 6-stop and CPL in 77mm size as some lenses I have are using those size filter and gave up on using square ones as to buy them is very expensive. If I ever decide to buy square filters then I will go again for Nisi or Winecountry Camera filter system...

Good luck!

09-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I think that Lee Filters refers to incompatibility issue when lens is focused close by that you might have vignetting or corners of the filter might be visible and you have to look for wide angle adapter but also then there might be some issues with corners... I did have that issue with Cookin Filters system on some lenses.

I have recently got Nisi Filter (10-stop) in 67mm but slim one that have to be screwed and did check all lenses with it. Currently I looking into placing order for Nisi ND 6-stop and CPL in 77mm size as some lenses I have are using those size filter and gave up on using square ones as to buy them is very expensive. If I ever decide to buy square filters then I will go again for Nisi or Winecountry Camera filter system...

Good luck!
Thank you for all your input.
09-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the Lee filter system and a 49mm adapter ring and it is compatible with the DA 35 Ltd (although I have never used it with that lens). My only caveat with the Lee system is that unless you have some larger lenses (or the DA 15), you might be better off with a smaller system, such as the cokin P system (not as large, not nearly as expensive). I only use my Lee system with the DA 12-24 and the DA 15. With all my other lenses, I use the Cokin P system.
09-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I own the Lee filter system and a 49mm adapter ring and it is compatible with the DA 35 Ltd (although I have never used it with that lens). My only caveat with the Lee system is that unless you have some larger lenses (or the DA 15), you might be better off with a smaller system, such as the cokin P system (not as large, not nearly as expensive). I only use my Lee system with the DA 12-24 and the DA 15. With all my other lenses, I use the Cokin P system.
Thanks Greg. To be honest I never even looked into Cokin filters. I learned long ago not to buy inexpensive tools. When I did I always ended up having to replace them after only a short period of time. I just assumed that Cokin would be inferior to Lee and did not want to risk losing IQ. But the cost of a Lee system, or any other high dollar system, is why I have not bought a filter system yet. The fact that you're using the Cokin P system is a hell of a recommendation. Have admired your work ever since I joined this forum. Will definitely be checking out the Cokin P system. Again, thanks for the advice.
09-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
The fact that you're using the Cokin P system is a hell of a recommendation. Have admired your work ever since I joined this forum. Will definitely be checking out the Cokin P system. Again, thanks for the advice.
One caveat with the Cokin P system. I don't actually use their filters, just the filter holder. I buy the adapter rings on ebay for real cheap (you can get away with that, as they're still metal and they work). But for the filters, I look to HiTech. More expensive, but no where as expensive as the Lee filters.
09-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
One caveat with the Cokin P system. I don't actually use their filters, just the filter holder. I buy the adapter rings on ebay for real cheap (you can get away with that, as they're still metal and they work). But for the filters, I look to HiTech. More expensive, but no where as expensive as the Lee filters.
Good to know. Thanks.